Wikicite/grant/Improving Wikidata-Wikisource Integration/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
While we didn’t have specific tools or modules to be developed in the original proposal, we believe that we have been successful in making progress in the space of improving integration between Wikidata and Wikisource, which falls well within the WikiCite by leveraging the use of linked bibliographic data. The overall progress made not only includes technical interventions, but also conversations and realizing opportunities for further work in this area.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Technical documentation||mw:Wikidata - Wikisource Integration Modules||
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We received consistent support from the Wikimedia Foundation staff and the community members whenever required. Especially during the initial phase of the setup and getting hold of the existing code base, this support had been crucial for us to move forward.
- Just apart from producing documentation, we are happy to have supported a few communities to deploy the module. It is also happy to see that the communities are very interested in this work.
- What did not work so well?
- Though the developer on the project is experienced and skilled, not having specific deliverables (i.e. specific technical tools/scripts to be created) ready before the beginning of the project, cost us a lot of time in the initial months to onboard. That would help to better scope the requirements for the project.
- Though test-Wikisource and test-Wikidata sites intended to be for testing purposes, it seems like the sites are not maintained. We were stuck at a point almost for three weeks as the site didn’t give the intended output, though the code was fine. We only realised this after we did move onto one of the “main” i.e. production wikis. Going forward, these sites should be made similar to test.wikipedia rather than on toolforge.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Scoping the specific deliverables before the project begins, what time and resources each of them would have required, better, before the project had begun, would have helped to achieve better results.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Total spent: 9.909,30 €
- Project Coordinator / Product Manager: 3.308,19 €
- Developer: 5.561,56 €
- Bank/transaction charges: 186,55 €
- Fiscal sponsor fee: 853,00 €
Do you have any remaining grant funds?