Jump to navigation Jump to search
PROPOSAL PROPOSAL PROPOSAL PROPOSAL Please do not edit :)
This version has been submitted to the board as proposal. It seems this has never been put up for a vote at the board.
Whereas the Board,
- recognizes the value of volunteers in Wikimedia projects and that their work is the very reason of their success,
- values the volunteers' opinions and takes them into serious consideration when discussing issues involving the volunteers,
- is of the opinion that these volunteers should have a strong say in changes in the articles of incorporation and the bylaws of the Wikimedia Foundation,
- considers a Volunteer Council a valuable intermediary between volunteers and the Foundation, and as a good instrument to hear the voice of the volunteers:
it is hereby resolved that:
- The Board of Trustees hereby creates a Volunteer Council, to serve as a valuable complement to the Staff, Advisory Board and Board of Trustees.
- Without restricting the generality of this provision the purposes of the Volunteer Council shall include:
- Offering advice and support on issues relevant to the Wikimedia Volunteers,
- Recommanding the opening or closure of Wikimedia projects,
- Approving changes to the articles of incorporation or bylaws of the Wikimedia Foundation and
- Assist in establishing a clear separation between the legal responsibilities of the Wikimedia Foundation as an Internet Service Provider and the community decisions for the Wikimedia Projects.
- The members from the Volunteer Council must be volunteers within Wikimedia.
- The Provisional Volunteer Council shall report to the Board no later than September 1, 2008, which report shall include recommendations regarding the number and composition of the Volunteer Council, and how the members of the Council shall be chosen. Said report shall also include recommendations regarding the distribution of rights and responsibilities between the Board and Council, and any changes in the by-laws that may be necessary to implement this.
- Except where it pertains to its own procedures, no decision of the Provisional Volunteer Council shall bind any person.
- On receipt of the said report the Board shall take such steps as it deems necessary to confirm and empower the Volunteer Council, and provide for a transition of operations from the Provisional Volunteer Council.
- Members of the Volunteer Council will not be financially compensated for their activity. On approval by the Board of Trustees expenses of the Provisional Volunteer Council and Volunteer Council in the fulfillment of their duties may be reimbursed.
- The following people are hereby appointed as member of the Provisional Volunteer Council:
- Michael Bimmler, user:Mbimmler (Main project: de.wikipedia)
- Yaroslav Blanter, Yaroslav Blanter (Main project: ru.wikipedia)
- Lise Broer, Durova (Main projects: en.wikipedia and commons.wikimedia )
- Jesse Plamondon-Willard, Pathoschild (Main projects: en.wikisource and meta.wikimedia )
- Sydney Poore, FloNight (Main project: en.wikipedia)
- Milos Rancic, Millosh (Main project: sr.wikipedia)
- Ray Saintonge, Eclecticology (Main project: en.wikisource, en.wikipedia)
- Andrew Whitworth, Whiteknight (Main project: en.wikibooks)
- Michal Zlatkovsky, Timichal (Main project: cs.wikipedia)
- The members of the Provisional Volunteer Council may on a 2/3 vote of all its members add such additional members as they may deem necessary and useful to their deliberations.