This background information will put the entire project into context.
About the Beck Foundation
(From http://becklit.org/beck.php, as of October 5, 2005). The purpose of the Beck Foundation is to initiate and support projects that effectively promote literacy and learning among children youth, and adults. To accomplish this purpose, the Foundation provides financial assistance to registered not for profit cultural, educational, religious institutions, and individuals who use the Educational Practices Booklets of the International Bureau of Education for teacher training and for those who provide free downloadable reading material.
We are interested in exploring projects that are capable of efficiently reaching thousands of school age children and their teachers through the use of technology and non-traditional learning settings.
John and Frances Beck
John and Frances Beck had long careers in the field of teacher education. Their lifelong efforts were devoted to assisting teachers, tutors, and parents in the field of reading and language development. Their Foundation reflects those efforts by providing, through the internet, free, downloadable learning material: stories, books, and lesson plans, suitable for children and students from preschool through grade 9.
Contacting the Beck Foundation
The Beck Foundation
C/O Catherine M. Ryan
Bank of America
231 S. LaSalle St.
Chicago, IL 60697
Marianne Friedman is the CEO of the Foundation.
Inquiry from the Beck Foundation
- A brief history of the grant.
- What was the context of the Inquiry?
- Who did they approach, and how?
- What was the content of the Inquiry?
- Why do they want this material? There are plenty of childrens books already available with EXACTLY THE SAME information. What new benefit are these booklets meant to give?
- Who is it intended for?
- Why the Wiki? Why not use the information from, for example, the NASA website in producing booklets?
The Grant Proposal
- The proposal was submitted on (insert date here)
- The full text of the Grant Proposal
- No supporting documents are known
Other Information about the Grant
- A grant of $10,000 was awarded on (insert date here)