Wikimédia France/Bourses Wikimania 2015
Wikimania is the annual conference about Wikimedia projects. In 2015, it will be held in Mexico City, from 15 to 19 July. As every year, Wikimedia France will be giving away some scholarships to fund the costs of the trip (transportation, accomodation, food). However, because of the length of the journey, (air) transportation will be expensive and will therefore require greater funding of the scholarships.
In this case, in 2015, the scholarships will be funded up to 1 500 € (for scholarships granted to people from out of France, the scholarship will be possibly re-estimated depending on the place of departure). Because of this, there will be fewer scholarships distributed.
Please note that the allocated scholarships may not cover the entirety of all the costs involved by the trip. We recommend that you estimate your budget and plan any additional costs you might have to take care of. This can be a criterion to help you decide whether or not you should ask for a scholarship.
In 2015, 8 scholarships will be available according to the following distribution:
- Focus 1 (Increasing the number of editors and improving the content by raising awareness and training different target groups) : 1 scholarship.
- Focus 2 (Bringing local support that facilitates the involvement and the creativity of the volunteers) : 2 scholarships for people in our local groups.
- Focus 3 (Encouraging international links) : 2 scholarships (1 for an African editor + 1 for an active editor from WikiFranca).
- Focus 4 (Improving the tools available in the Wiki environment) : 1 scholarship.
- Focus 5 (Making the environment favourable to the Wikimedia projects) : 1 scholarship.
- Focus 6 (Broadening the scope of the chapter) : 1 scholarship.
Any editor from a French-speaking Wikimedia project, and any volunteer from the French-speaking movement is eligible to apply for one of the 8 scholarships available.
Your applications (written in English) must be sent to wikimania-2015-bourses(at)lists.wikimedia.fr by 8 April 2015 at 23:59 UTC +2.
They will then be forwarded to the Scholarship Allocation Committee, which will make its decision based on the following criteria (among other ones):
- Involvement within the movement and the Wikimedia projects;
- Proficiency in English (Ability to interact with the international community);
- Topicality of the proposed talk;
- Gender (at least one scholarship will be allocated to a woman)
You will be informed on the outcome late April.
- Last name:
- First name:
- Nickname as an editor:
- Birth date:
- Do you have an up-to-date passport?
- Email address:
Involvement in the movement
- Wikimedia project(s) where you contribute:
- What have you achieved on the projects or the Wikimedia movement, throughout the past year?
- What have you achieved in the free-and-opensource organizations, throughout the past year?
Involvement in Wikimania 2015
- Have you already attended a Wikimania? (if so, when?)
- Do you plan to submit a talk?
- How have you heard about Wikimania?
- Why do you want to attend Wikimania 2015?
- How exactly does your application fit in each of the 6 focuses mentioned above? Why?
Commitments of the candidate:
- The candidate, if they get and accept one of the 8 grants, pledges to actually come to Wikimania 2015,
- The candidate, if they get and accept one of the 8 grants, pledges to share their experience in a way that will be defined later (eg. writing a report, a learning pattern, a blog post, etc.),
- The candidate, if they get and accept one of the 8 grants, will be responsible for obtaining their visa
- The candidate, if they get and accept one of the 8 grants, is informed that outside this grant they will not be eligible to any complementary funding from Wikimédia France or any other organisation of the Wikimedia movement
Date, name and signature of the candidate