Wikimania 2013/IRC meeting 2012-04-07

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

<poem style="font-family:monospace,Courier;background:#F2F2F2"> Log start time: 14:01

Thogo_Jury:
so, we should start with Hong Kong.
deryckchan_HK:
i thought we're doing Surakarta and Bristol first?
effe-facilitate:
we were going to do Bristol first, but they are not here
so the floor is for Hong Kong
peteforsyth_jury:
Thogo_Jury: or effe-facilitate -- could you start with a few words about how the meeting will be structured, what we will accomplish today, etc to give us all some context?
laurenhc_london:
bristol not here, surakarta don't need to go 1st any more so alphabetical
effe-facilitate:
peteforsyth_jury: ok, I'll attempt another time, hopefully more clear now :)
peteforsyth_jury:
sorry if I missed before!
Edsaperia_London:
Can we have a few sentences introducing the bid teams, then?
effe-facilitate:
-- intro -- Welcome to the public jury meeting. The intent of the meeting is to get a better image of the bids and allow people to ask questions. We will aim to be finished in 90-120 minutes. That leaves 15 minutes per bid. Start off with a short introduction of max. 5 lines. Then we move to Q&A. Please ask your questions in #wikimania-questions .
clear? :)
root-80686_Jury:
effe-facilitate: bedankt!
fscala_Naples:
clera
clear
peteforsyth_jury:
yes, thank you!
Bennylin_Solo:
yes
JamesKnight_Lond:
Yep
effe-facilitate:
ok
deryckchan_HK:
5 lines... on what screen size? (sorry for being pedantic)
fscala_Naples:
could you please + my nick again?
effe-facilitate:
it is 14:15 now, the floor is for Hong Kong
deryckchan_HK: just be reasonable
:)
hk_28481k entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
== Hong Kong ==
deryckchan_HK:
Right, so I've been advised to be reasonable. And I hope I'll give you a good overview of why we're bidding too. Here in this chat room on the bidding team we've got Simon, Vincent (cehk), and me in Hong Kong; Jeromy, Alan (28481k) and Sam (wingspanhkg) on our team are helping us remotely (Easter travels)
effe-facilitate:
deryckchan_HK: (please say when you're done with your intro)
deryckchan_HK:
Wikimania has been in a narrow range of longitude between Gdansk and Buenos Aires since 2008. And one of the key criteria for Wikimania location selection is rotation to facilitate attendance. Therefore, we believe that Wikimania 2013 genuinely belongs to the far east.
Seddon entra en el canal
hk_28481k:
I should be joining deryckchan_HK soon.
deryckchan_HK:
Hong Kong has had a long Wikimedian tradition: we've had meetups since 2005 (the organiser of that meetup, Simon, is with us today!), have a chapter since 2007 with charity status, and a strong, youthful community. Hong Kong is also a city with good relations to many parts of the world, which means people from all parts of the world can come to the Wikimania without restrictions of visa etc., which had plagued many Wikimanias
With all the deals and support we've already secured (see our bid page - venue and sponsorship, government support etc) we'll certainly deliver an amazing Wikimania, which every Wikimedian from all parts of the world can freely attend, in a part of the world that's been waiting for one since 2007.
Jeromyu_hk:
(FYI, nationals of over 170 countries can enjoy visa-free visit to Hong Kong from 7-180 days)
effe-facilitate:
ok, that is about 5 lines I'd say ;-)
thank you :)
deryckchan_HK:
This combination of location rotation, ease of entry and quality of conference is what we believe makes the Hong Kong the right place for Wikimanai 2013. Thanks :)
effe-facilitate:
reminder: please ask your questions in #wikimania-questions
area entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
peteforsyth_juryHong Kong: The application and introduction emphasize the youthfulness of the team, which is wonderful! However, there are advantages to having a team with long experience in project management, event planning etc. Can you address this? Are there some more experienced members, or do you have advisors available with a varied skill set?
JamesKnight_Lond entra en el canal
qwebirc158724 entra en el canal
deryckchan_HK:
The Wikimedian community of Hong Kong "grew up" organising conferences. In 2006 we organised the first ever regional Wikimedia conference, CWMC 2006, of which many team members are now on the Wikimania 2013 bid.
effe-facilitate:
Question HK2 will be: Deror_jury Hong Kong: 1.How many simultaneous tracks are possible?
deryckchan_HK:
As for the varied skill-set, our partner organisations iSoc HK and dotAsia will bring in a professional conference production team.
Jeromyu_hk:
It depends on how many classrooms we can booked besides the main hall
effe-facilitate:
(please state it if your answer is finalized)
deryckchan_HK:
iSocHK has been organising annual conferences such as the APRICOT-APAN and RIGF, IPv6 conferences and more, and many volunteers from WMHK are also involved in their work. hence we do have a professional team which we're used to working with closely to produce big conferences.
hydtest entra en el canal
Jeromyu_hk:
Q2: As we will booked the classroom and Lecture theaters near the Auditorium for the multiple tracks
Deror_jury:
What is yuor vision for that (for example - 5 tracks - 5 classrooms - 100 people each ) - I could not anserstand that from the bid
deryckchan_HK:
(more details are available on our bid page - that's all for Q1)
effe-facilitate:
HK3 will be: Do how many attendies do you exapct? Do you expact many attendees from china and south east asia, and will you try to facilate increase outreach to people in this region who were not able to attend wikimania in the past?
(now on Q2)
JamesKnight_Lond entra en el canal
Jeromyu_hk:
Q2: As we will booked the classroom and Lecture theaters near the Auditorium for the multiple tracks. It depends on how many classrooms we can booked besides the main hall. And the university is at summer holiday, and we are already closely in touch with the Uni Authorities.
I think we have the room to adjust how many tracks eventually, currently our scoops a major track will using the auditorium. and one or two more using Lecture theaters (up to 150 ppl), and two using regular classrooms (up to 50 ppl)
(any follow up on Q2?)
Deror_jury:
Are the rooms in the same building?
effe-facilitate:
Jeromyu_hk: holiday means no classes?
Deror_jury:
U are saying y are planing to have main auditorium + 2 lectures (150 each) + 2 classrooms (50 each)? am i correct? are there more rooms available?
Jeromyu_hk:
The whole university is in one unified campus, and multiple building with covered corridors
hk_28481k:
Holiday means fewer classes, and we have been advised that nothing else major would be on that particular week.
Deror_jury:
Distance between buildings?
i.e buildings used?
hk_28481k:
Can be as little as 10m
Jeromyu_hk:
Lod: they are a number of summer classes, but here are classrooms everywhere and spare classrooms will be booked out for breakout and back-office
Beria_Jury:
and as big as?
wingspanhkg_HK:
since most building are joined together, virtually you may walk between blocks without going outdoor again
hk_28481k:
More or less, the campus is rather compact in that regards.
deryckchan_HK:
(just in case anyone not familiar with SI units are confused: 10m means 10 metres)
effe-facilitate:
ok, next and last question no.3 please
HK3 Do how many attendies do you exapct? Do you expact many attendees from china and south east asia, and will you try to facilate increase outreach to people in this region who were not able to attend wikimania in the past?
we're already running out of time
(Bristol here?)
hk_28481k_ entra en el canal
hk_28481k_:
And the unified architecture meant you don't have to go outdoors between classrooms as wingspanhkg_HK indicates
Jeromyu_hk:
estimated attendance 700-1,000
qwebirc742383 entra en el canal
Jeromyu_hk:
We will try facilitate attendee from China, as we are directly connected with community with different parts of the country there
Deror_jury:
Will you do outreach in china to get many attendees from there?
effe-facilitate:
(get ready please London)
Edsaperia_London:
read and waiting
y
hk_28481k_:
kick hk_28481k
effe-facilitate:
There are still many quesions left, but I'm afraid we have to move on to London now
Please post your questions on the talkpage if you didn't do so yet
== London ==
London, please introduce yourself :)
Edsaperia_London:
Hi, I'm here representing the London UK bid with Seddon_London, AA_London, James_London, laurenhc_london and imogen_London. We're very excited to present a plan for a "conference done right" - opportunities for fundraising are very good in London, so we can afford to have a very good venue, working wifi, excellent catering and entertainment etc.
Jeromyu_hk:
Southeast Asia is also region we will work on. we will work on that with groups like barcamp
Edsaperia_London:
We also feel that our city is culturally first rate, and hope to give lots of opportunities to showcase this over the event, both as a capital city of an empire with a rich history but also with cutting edge modern culture: a vibrant tech startup scene, world leading music, modern art and fashion.
It's a modern, international, cosmopolitan city with all the modern conveniences you could want and good transport nationally and internationally, and easy with visas etc.
We forsee our main criticism being higher costs, but as we have said, we think our opportunities for fundraising here are almost unparalleled, and we have an experience fundraiser on board, and it's a huge tourist destination so there are lots of budget options too!
(Also, our venue is totally awesome!)
hk_28481k__ entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
thank you for the intro :) Please ask your questions to the London team in #wikimania-questions
I'll start off with a question from the talkpage: What about the budget?
qwebirc742383:
The budget is currently posted on the bid page
Edsaperia_London:
The budget is now up, if you look. We've been waiting for a lot of quotes from a lot of places, and we felt that just putting up our estimates would reflect badly. We have organisations (e.g. London First) who will be negotiating on our behalf to get better prices.
effe-facilitate:
how much do you think you can get off roughly?
because 500.000 pounds is a lot of money
(just to get an idea :) )
Edsaperia_London:
In some sense, it all depends what you mean - if for example the science museum decide to give us their venue in kind, that massively reduces the cost of that event, so is the equivalent of raising £50,000
But the deal with doing it in london is it costs more, but opportunities for sponsorship and in-kind donations to offset them are also more
qwebirc742383:
The same with the Tate Modern.
AA_London:
plus, if the Foundation accounts for scholarships, that will remove another 100,000
effe-facilitate:
Lon2: peteforsyth_juryLondon: You have a team with a variety of experience. How actively involved is everyone in the bid and preparation process? Do you have confidence that people listed will remain involved over the next year-plus?
Edsaperia_London:
We can probably also get a discount on the venue itself.
effe-facilitate:
Lon3 will be: Deror_jurylondon: accomodations are expensive, especially in the city (I lived in London for a while in 2000) what steps are you taking? where will people stay? dorms? hotels? together? apart? what are expected costs? (first finish Lon2 please)
imogen_London:
As you can see in our bid page, we've been spoken to the Youth Hostel Association regarding 1200 beds at budget cost, including wifi in the rooms
qwebirc742383:
In adddition hostel dorm rooms can be booked from about £15 upwards
many of which are within walking distance of the barbican venue
effe-facilitate:
qwebirc742383: which question are you answering now?
Edsaperia_London:
re Lon2: For the most part, the event organisation piece has been handed over to myself with only guidance from the rest, and I pulled together a team of events organisers and fundraisers who I have worked with before on large events.
effe-facilitate:
I'm at question Lon2 still
Edsaperia_London:
I've been in touch with the wikimedian community in London via other channels to give guidance on how to design the event, and I imagine their engagement will grow significantly if our bid is developed
A lot of people have been waiting to see whether Bristol or London will go through before they put all of their energy into it, mostly.
Does that answer your question?
effe-facilitate:
thanks.
Lon3 now then. Lon4 will be: aude_wm2012london: how is WMUK supporting the bid? i don't see official support on the page (i might be looking in wrong place) and is WMUK giving staff time or to hire an event coordinator
Edsaperia_London:
Lon3: London First is negotiating with universities to organise very cheap university organisation. imogen_London contacted hostels to look at block booking as well.
effe-facilitate:
Lon3: Deror_jurylondon: accomodations are expensive, especially in the city (I lived in London for a while in 2000) what steps are you taking? where will people stay? dorms? hotels? together? apart? what are expected costs?
qwebirc742383:
In adddition hostel dorm rooms can be booked from about £15 upwards, many of which are within walking distance of the barbican venue. Also we have been in contact with universities who are willing to offer dorm rooms to delegates
Edsaperia_London:
There is both university accommodation and hostels near the venue. With London it is more a challenge of having too many options rather than too few :)
Thogo_Jury:
hostel means what exactly?
Edsaperia_London:
Cheap hotel :)
AA_London:
cheao hotel
Edsaperia_London:
They all tend to have wifi and breakfast as standard though.
imogen_London:
and towels, apparently:)
Thogo_Jury:
yay
laurenhc_london:
London is hosting the Olympics this year, finding cheap accommodation for an event this size next year won't be an issue.
effe-facilitate:
OK, that would answer Lon3. Lets move to Lon4: aude_wm2012london: how is WMUK supporting the bid? i don't see official support on the page (i might be looking in wrong place) and is WMUK giving staff time or to hire an event coordinator.
Edsaperia_London:
WMUK has said:
effe-facilitate:
Lon5 will be: Deror_juryBudget - where is recording? why 20 VIP's?
Rock_drum entra en el canal
Edsaperia_London:
The chapter is pleased that two high quality UK bids have emerged and wish them luck. We will await the choice that the global community and Wikimania Jury makes. If one of the UK bids is selected, we will begin negotiations to see what support may be needed from our resources. We have four full-time members of staff, including both event management and communications professionals, an...
...office based in central London, and trustees based around the UK, including in Bristol. We feel that, as a fundraising chapter with a vibrant community behind us and several major events (such as GLAM-WIKI 2010) behind us, we have the ability to support a UK bid.
Daria Cybulska (talk) 13:13, 28 March 2012 (UTC)
aude_wm2012:
Edsaperia_London: thanks
laurenhc_london:
The venues also have their own events teams who will deal with a lot of the logistics for each event.
effe-facilitate:
(next chapter up is Naples - please get ready)
aude_wm2012:
having full time staff or conference organizer person(s) is useful, as we've found out for 2012
fscala_Naples:
we are
Jeromyu_hk:
London is hosting the Olympics this year, finding cheap accommodation for an event this size next year won't be an issue. <== actually I dun get the logic behind that
effe-facilitate:
*bid not chapter :P
Final question for London: Deror_juryBudget - where is recording? why 20 VIP's?
Edsaperia_London:
Lon5: recording is included in AV. We expect most of the cost of that to be donated as we have a service sponsor. (i.e. they will discount it to the price in the budget) - impossible to get sharper pricing right now as the conference schedule isn't planned in enough detail yet.
And it all depends how many bells and whistles etc
wstfgl entra en el canal
Edsaperia_London:
20VIPs - keynotes, chapter heads, WMF people, any other speakers we might want to invite
Deror_jury:
WMF are not VIP's. nore chapter heads
hk_28481k:
Such as?
aude_wm2012:
Edsaperia_London: WMF pays for wmf people
Deror_jury:
only keynotes, and invitees.
imogen_London:
Jeromyu_hk : a lot of money and effort is going into making London able to accommodate the huge numbers of people going to the Olympics in 2012, so transport and accommodation will have been vastly improved just in time for wikimania 2012
laurenhc_london:
There are so many options for accommodation, as Ed said, it's more that there are too many to choose from, and London has been refurbishing accommodation, transport etc. in anticipation of the Olympics.
Edsaperia_London:
Oh, good. I was under the impression we had to pay for them.
aude_wm2012:
other chaptesr pay for theiri own people
Edsaperia_London: no
AA_London:
Re Lon5: AV budget and post-production will be effectively a contribution in kind by our service sponsor. We expect a minimal cost possible
Edsaperia_London:
Well, subtract £20,000 :D
qwebirc742383:
We also have several web designers / programmers on the team which are more than capable of setting up live streams for any recordings at the event - see legacy section on bid page
effe-facilitate:
OK, I suggest to continue the VIP discussion on the talkpage
Thank you London for your answers :)
aude_wm2012:
Edsaperia_London: and you're not getting clay shirky to speak (or i'd be amazed if you do)
Edsaperia_London:
We've had positive words from his people, I understand
qwebirc742383:
We have been talking to his associates and he has confirmed his interest
effe-facilitate:
aude_wm2012: being amazed is something we do way too little
aude_wm2012:
Edsaperia_London: we had too but he's been elusive
Edsaperia_London:
Fair enough.
Jeromyu_hk:
Sorry I still dun get the logic, as once such accommodation created, they are market products, how can you guarantee for prices not going up as you expected?
effe-facilitate:
Jeromyu_hk: please put further questions on the talkpage
Edsaperia_London:
Jeromyu_hk: why would they go up?
effe-facilitate:
I'd like to give the floor now to Naples!
== Naples ==
fscala_Naples:
Hi everybody and thanks to be here
effe-facilitate:
Naples please introduce yourself and everybody please add questions in #wikimania-questions
Jeromyu_hk:
ciao
fscala_Naples:
Naples will be the World Capital of Cultures on 2013 since it willl be hosting the World Forum of Cultures
we aim to organize Wikimania just the week after the Forum ends
Naples is part of UNESCO World Heritage lista and a multi-cultural town, where communities from all the world pacifically convive
Being the center of Mediterranean, we aim to facilitate the participation of people from Global South
and since we have 5 universities standing for 161.000+ students, we think it could be a good way to attract people in the wikimedia movement
think they are 5 lines
effe-facilitate:
thanks :)
fscala_Naples:
:-)
effe-facilitate:
Nap1: Jeromyu_hkquestion for Naples a week after the World Capital of Cultures events could be interesting, however I wonder if there is any logistic nightmare occurs?
(keep the questions coming people)
fscala_Naples:
the Forum ends the friday before, while Wikimania starts half of the week after. we took buffer to allow people from the Forum to walk away
Jeromyu_hk:
Is that enough, as Naples has so many things to visit?
effe-facilitate:
Nap2: Beria_JuryWhere is the budget?
hk_28481k entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
Nap3 will be: What's up with Chapter support?
fscala_Naples:
no, if you want to visit only the city center i would advice you to take almost three weeks to see the minimum. if you want to get around in the region, time requested could be easily around three months
budget
we are inexperienced with respect to bidding and we saw that not everybody put it on for this first meeeting. furthermore we need some details about the number of participants to assess the number of location rooms .it will be available in a few days
Chapter support
effe-facilitate:
fscala_Naples: better phrased: peteforsyth_juryNaples: The local chapter did not endorse the bid. Do you expect them to reconsider if and when you build momentum? Or if not, do you believe you can provide sufficient engagement from the Wikimedia community without chapter involvement?
hk_28481k_ entra en el canal
aude_wm2012:
fscala_Naples: wm2011 had ~750 attendees, wm2012 will have more because the location i think
fscala_Naples:
we asked for chapter support but it was denied since it was esteemed Wikimania Italy had not the capability to organize the event. As we said in discussion page, we were ready to stand away, but we were confirmed by Jury members we could go on with cadidature even without support
moreover
decision was taken on by the present assembly and Steering committee which is mostly based in Turin/Milan. So we understand that it would have been a logistic nightmare for them. We are confident that having seen our determination and capability they will reconsider
effe-facilitate:
Nap4 will be from root-80686_Jury , what kind of experience do you have?
fscala_Naples:
Location
Stazione Marittima is in condition to host up to 1100+ participants, so we can't see any problems on this point. Moreover the rooms are all in the same building and floor, separated only by halls, thus ensuring the maxuimum of exchange between participantsd
Experience
effe-facilitate:
Nap5 will be: root-80686_Jury Nap - I wonder if there is enough internet / wifi bandwidth
fscala_Naples:
Bid Coordinator has 10+ years expereince in organizing events (namely medical congresses). In order to ensure success we gained the free support of Frontiers of Interaction, an organization which has organized global tech-related events since 2005. Just to give you a grasp about the level, this year Kevin Kelly will be one of the keynote speakers at Frontiers
Internet
peteforsyth_jury:
Kevin Kelly = Whole Earth Catalog founder?
fscala_Naples:
The structure has full access to internet with four separate points into the main room and the other rooms are equipped in a similar way
effe-facilitate:
fscala_Naples: what is the experience of the rest of the team?
i.e. what happens if you run over a bus?
fscala_Naples:
Kevin Kelly: just the guy. Open the Frontiers website and you will get confirmation
another speaker will be Simonetta Di Pippo, the n.2 at European Space Agency, just to say
hk_28481k_ entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
(and I dont think you *should* run over a bus... to be clear :P - already getting complaints about it XD )
fscala_Naples:
i expect not to run under a bus for the next 40 years
Thogo_Jury:
:D
fscala_Naples:
however
tangoimom entra en el canal
fscala_Naples:
Stefano is completely trained and in line with all the operations (he's the vice bid leader). However, even if i get incapacitated, frontiers is like an authomatic pilot, once briefed, they go forward
effe-facilitate:
Nap5 will be the last question
after that we will have a 5 min break and continue with Solo
hk_28481k__ entra en el canal
Bennylin_Solo:
okay
fscala_Naples:
any other questions?
effe-facilitate:
fscala_Naples: there is the question about internet - is it enough to handle 2000 devices?
(yes, that many, some people carry 3 on them... dont ask me why)

aude_wm2012 spies jeremyb with a bunch of devices ;)

Beria_Jury:
effe-facilitate, tablet, phone and laptop
Edsaperia_London:
(laptop, tablet and phone - perfectly reasonable! :P)
fscala_Naples:
yes sure. Stazione marittima is constantly used as a congress facility. in case we get the bid, I'm also asking telecom italia to ensure us supplemental capability
Beria_Jury:
don't see what is the problem :D
Edsaperia_London:
(snap)
jeremyb:
whoa, mtg
aude_wm2012:
jeremyb: how do we handle 1000 people with a bunch of devices
that's the question
fscala_Naples:
remind that we have full government support, therefore, we'll be facilitated in gettng anything we need. furthermore....i have friends... :-D
jeremyb:
that sounds like not a question for the jury ;p
is the jury still going?
effe-facilitate:
jeremyb: read topic
fscala_Naples:
anything else?
jeremyb:
effe-facilitate: uhhh, {{done}}?
Beria_Jury:
the team live in the city=
effe-facilitate:
ok, one final question : where do your team members live
root-80686_Jury:
four APs in a main hall of 600 is way not enough
you need a sponsor and bring in additional APs + bandwidth
fscala_Naples:
we are all in near proximity with naples, except for two or three which will provide remote support (i can make names if needed)

jeremyb is starting to catch up

aude_wm2012:
most normal conferences don't have the internet use that wikimania has
root-80686_Jury:
APs are not everything - backbone and bandwidth also needs to be suitable
fscala_Naples:
anything else?
jeremyb:
aude_wm2012: i think DebConf could give you a fair fight on that one ;)
effe-facilitate:
ok, thank you
lets have 5 minutes break
Edsaperia_London:
fwiw we were quoted around £60,000 to put powerful enough wifi into a completely unequipped venue for the length of a wikimania
effe-facilitate:
sharp
fscala_Naples:
thank you all guys and good luck to bidding teams
effe-facilitate:
and get back at 15:30 here
aude_wm2012:
Edsaperia_London: sounds about right
jeremyb:
Edsaperia_London: including uplink?
Edsaperia_London:
(donated free by cisco :D)
effe-facilitate:
in the mean time, please post questions on #wikimania-questions for Solo
Edsaperia_London:
think so
jeremyb:
ewwww, not cisco
Edsaperia_London:
I'm no expert
Thogo_Jury:
anyone here from Bristol now?
just wondering. :)
Edsaperia_London:
No Bristol is a mystery. They worked really hard on their bid. A Bristery.
Thogo_Jury:
:(
Bennylin_Solo:
A Bristery indeed
Deror_jury:
Hi benny, good to see you are well.
Thogo_Jury:
maybe they mixed up the date...
Theo10011 entra en el canal
aude_wm2012:
hi Theo10011
Theo10011:
hi aude
Patricio_Jury:
hi theo10011!
Theo10011:
There was no internet where I was.
effe-facilitate:
2min
Theo10011:
Hiya Patricio_Jury
Patricio_Jury:
please, add a _Jury to your nick
Theo10011_Jury:
done
Thogo_Jury:
we are just having a short break, Theo10011_Jury
Bennylin_Solo:
hi Deror_jury , thanks
Beria_Jury:
Theo10011_Jury, questions in #wikimania-questions
Bennylin_Solo:
this is Deror Lin, right, not the other Dror?
Edsaperia_London:
btw, I propose #wikimania_meta for random chat on this topic
deryckchan_HK:
:)
Thogo_Jury:
on which topic?
effe-facilitate:
for random chat i suggest to just hold your breath 30 minutes
Edsaperia_London:
wikimania bidding and stuff
effe-facilitate:
and the channel will be free again
Thogo_Jury:
there can be more chat here after we finish.
deryckchan_HK:
yay.
effe-facilitate:
ok, we're back in the air!
== Solo ==
Bennylin_Solo: please introduce the team and bid
deryckchan_HK:
(just taking the time to enjoy more food. and more food chat!)
Bennylin_Solo:
ok
effe-facilitate:
please ask questions on #wikimania-questions
Bennylin_Solo:
Hi, we're representing Surakarta (Solo) Indonesia as the candidate of Wikimania 2013. Present here are Benny (Solo) and Revo/Meursault (Netherlands). Another team member, Fanny (Solo) could not present due to no internet connection. Wikimania has always choose the best possible city to host the conference, and this year is no exception. We're proud to present our city in heartland Java to be...
...the host of Wikimania 2013
Even though we're only just starting our community, but we think that the potential of Wikimania being held in Solo is tremendous. In bringing Wikimania to Indonesia, which is on the Global South, and particularly Surakarta, we could raise the contributions from this fourth largest nation in the world
Moreover, there are currently 719 living languages in Indonesia that are in dire need of movement like Wikimedia project. Having Wikimania in Surakarta will attract the contributors-to-be from these language groups to edit Wikipedia in their own languages
Another advantage of holding Wikimania in Surakarta is that the city government is currently building their rapport as the MICE destination city in Asia, and will support this conference all-out. Moreover we also expect support from the provincial government, as 2013 is dedicated as Visit Central Java year
effe-facilitate:
Thank you for the introduction!
oops :P
Bennylin_Solo:
one more :p
In conclusion, beside being the cultural center of Java and Javanese language (with more than 60 million speakers, but currently only have 37k articles in jv.wp) Surakarta has all that it needs to hold a quality conference, with a far lower cost, and with a bonus of unforgettable trip to some of the wonders of the world that can be found around Surakarta
Done
effe-facilitate:
Thanks :)
Sol1: peteforsyth_jurySolo: there is no information in the bid about the organizing team or local support. Will this be added? Can you provide an overview now?
jeremyb:
someone broke effe-facilitate's tab key?
effe-facilitate:
Sol2 will be: peteforsyth_jurySolo: I would also like to hear about the relationship with the Indonesian chapter.
root-80686_Jury:
jeremyb: please no comments here which are not directly connected to the Q&A
jeremyb:
(nvm. confusing syntax but seems to match how it was done earlier in the log)
Bennylin_Solo:
the structure is not fixed yet, but we have people who are willing to become part of the organizing team when we visited the State University of Surakarta
peteforsyth_jury:
well, clearly there is a "core" team -- the four of you who are here/planned to be here today. Answers about that team would be helpful too.
Bennylin_Solo:
local support: we have talked and received support from other online communities in Solo, including but not limited to: Blogger Bengawan, Kaskus (Indonesia's biggest online forum) -- Solo chapter, and Skyscrapercity -- Solo chapter
takot entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
ok, thanks for the local question
harej entra en el canal
harej entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
Can you answer Sol2? I would also like to hear about the relationship with the Indonesian chapter.
Sol3 will be: Deror_juryQ - Will attendees from countries without diplomatic relations with Indonesia (for example, Israel), be able to attend? How will visas be obtained? Are there assurances that visas will be possible?
Theo10011_Jury:
what is the solo chapter?
Thogo_Jury:
WM Indonesia
Theo10011_Jury:
There is just an indonesian chapter.
why call it sukarta chapter?
*Surakarta
Bennylin_Solo:
i'm currently the bid organizer and survey, fanny the survey and event manager, Revo will be our contact with government, and other people are still waiting for confirmation before they can commit themselves
harej sale del canal
Bennylin_Solo:
Sol3 first: After I researched more today, a page from Wikitravel says that they would need a sponsor from Indonesia, and special permit will be issued.
I think it would be the same with my experience last year.
Shrek entra en el canal
Bennylin_Solo:
First, one of our team member will act as a sponsor, then the sponsor must go in person to the Immigration Head Office in South Jakarta
(we have several "online team", i.e. they who live in Jakarta, who are willing to help)
he must produce a photocopy of applicant's passport, a supporting letter and the applicant's photograph.
effe-facilitate:
do you know if the chapter is willing and able to be sponsor?
Bennylin_Solo:
When it is approved, the Immigration Head Office will send a copy of approval letter to the applicant
the sponsor would be person, not organization, i.e. giving the person personal identity number
Deror_jury:
No need to go to such detail now. The Q is in fact - did you approach to government? are they willing to assist?
Meursault_Solo:
if we win the bid, wikimedia indonesia will surely help
I am a member myself of the board of trustees of wikimedia indonesia
cc indonesia will also help
however the details will be dealt with later
nationals from israel have been known to visit indonesia as long as they come in group and they keep a low profile
Bennylin_Solo:
Meursault's answer I think also answer about the chapter question (Sol2)
Meursault_Solo:
we haven't contacted the government yet, however we will do that
effe-facilitate:
Meursault_Solo: so the chapter won't support the bid, but will definitely help if it gets chosen?
Bennylin_Solo:
Theo10011_Jury: sorry just read your question, it's a national forum, and each city has it's own chapter, no, it doesn't have any connection with wikimedia chapters
Theo10011_Jury:
Thank you Bennylin_Solo
peteforsyth_jury:
Bennylin_Solo: what is "it" here? What is the name of this national forum?
skyscrapercity?
Bennylin_Solo:
yes, we would confirm again with the Tourism department in Solo. We've been in contact with them previously, but didn't specifically ask about the visas for certain countries
skyscrapercity.com, somehow they manage a sizeable community locally, and make quite a presence
effe-facilitate:
ok, lets focus :) Question on the table is the one about the chapter
skz_ entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
Sol4 will be Deror_juryQ - How many simoultaniout tracks are possible? How many breakout rooms are there that can hold 80-90 people or more? (but please first answer Sol2)
Bennylin_Solo:
any follow up question about the chapter?
effe-facilitate:
Bennylin_Solo: Meursault_Solo: so the chapter won't support the bid, but will definitely help if it gets chosen?
that's still open
Theo10011_Jury:
Is siska going to be involved in it? :P
effe-facilitate:
probably yes/no will be sufficient
Meursault_Solo:
@ effe
yes
as this is a grass root movement and everyone is free to take initiative of their own
Bennylin_Solo:
as for Sol4: we expect minimum 6 parallel tracks, in rooms as big as Gilboa and Tavor on past Wikimania
Meursault_Solo:
I cannot speak for siska, however I think the chance is great she will also help
Theo10011_Jury:
k
Meursault_Solo:
as we have seen from other projects of wikimedia indonesia that some projects are initiated not by her but by members
AndroUser2 entra en el canal
effe-facilitate:
ok, final question Sol4 Deror_juryQ - How many simoultaniout tracks are possible? How many breakout rooms are there that can hold 80-90 people or more? (but please first answer Sol2)
Bennylin_Solo:
File:Solo Convention Center 10.JPG can hold 52 people (classroom)
effe-facilitate: (do you want more answer about Sol2?)
effe-facilitate:
Bennylin_Solo: I think Sol2 is clear for now
thanks
Bennylin_Solo:
smaller ones File:Solo Convention Center 13.JPG can hold about 24
total 4 small and 2 large
Deror_jury:
2 large + auditorium?
Bennylin_Solo:
and I've been told that the pre-function lobby can be used as class too
Deror_jury:
small = 20, large = 80?
Bennylin_Solo:
auditorium is separate
Deror_jury: yes
effe-facilitate:
Bennylin_Solo: how much would fit in a large room in theater style?
Bennylin_Solo:
oops, no
small 24 (x4), large 52 (x2)
effe-facilitate:
(I think that is more common than classroom)
Bennylin_Solo:
File:Wikimania Surakarta venue vip.png 124
that's the breakdown table
theater style: small 52 (x4), large 124 (x2)
it's full air conditioned
effe-facilitate:
ok
Bennylin_Solo:
so no worries about the hot weather either
if needed, the lobby can have fake walls
= another 2 to 4 rooms
*partitions
effe-facilitate:
ok, any final very pressing questions?
otherwise, I'd like to thank Solo for their presentation and answers
Theo10011_Jury:
Did we aska bout any official support?
effe-facilitate:
and also all the other teams :)
Theo10011_Jury: yes
Theo10011_Jury:
from the city and civil services
ok
effe-facilitate:
thanks all for being here. Please keep an eye on your talkpage
Thogo_Jury:
still nobody from Bristol here?
Bennylin_Solo:
thanks everyone
effe-facilitate:
as in the bidding talk page
Thogo_Jury:
just to make sure...
Jeromyu_hk:
(our letter of support is on bidding page)
effe-facilitate:
The jury will post more questions there
Please just answer them there if possible, or email one of us about it if there is confidential information
(and indicate on the talkpage you answered via email)
Edsaperia_London:
Thank you to the jury for your time and attention :)
effe-facilitate:
we will have our next irc meeting on...
fscala_Naples:
thank you all guys
effe-facilitate:
14 April 2012 (14:00 UTC
Bennylin_Solo:
thanks
deryckchan_HK:
thanks :)
effe-facilitate:
I look forward to meeting you then
Stefano_Naples:
bye all
effe-facilitate:
I think we will have reverse alphabetical order ;-)
Meursault_Solo:
thanks
effe-facilitate:
== end meeting ==

Log end time: 16:06