Wikimedia+Education Conference 2019/Submissions/Bridging knowledge gaps through mother language instruction using Wikimedia projects
|This is an Open submission for Wikimedia+Education Conference 2019 that has not yet been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Bridging knowledge gaps through mother language instruction using Wikimedia projects
- Author(s) of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country/place of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Main theme
- Type of session
- Panel (at least two speakers, you can send them individually and we can gather similar ideas - 60 min)
Small Wiki Communities, Wikimedia projects + Indigenous languages.
- Length of session
- Do you want to submit a paper for peer-reviewing?
Children learn better when they are primarily taught in their mother language, especially in the early years of their education . However, many education systems throughout the world exclusively use one or several “privileged languages”, marginalizing children whose primary language is not the language of instruction. These children are more likely to fail or dropout of school . One of the barriers to teaching children in their mother language is the dearth of educational resources that are available in those languages. “Without access to good materials, children struggle to become literate and learn” . Within the Wikimedia movement there are activities that utilize local languages to engage students and educators in creating content on Wikimedia projects . These activities not only build awareness for the Wikimedia movement in local communities, but also lead to a wider availability in educational resources that can be used by educators for mother language instruction. This panel will introduce some of these activities, and foster a discussion about the importance of mother language education programs in the Wikimedia movement.
-   https://www.globalpartnership.org/blog/children-learn-better-their-mother-tongue
-  http://www.campaignforeducation.org/docs/reports/GCE%20Mother%20Tongue_EN.pdf
-  https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/News
- How does your proposal adds knowledge to the international community in Wikimedia and education?
- Participants will be able to describe the benefits of education activities that engage mother languages in local communities to both build awareness and create content.
- Participants will be able to identify resources for starting such programs in their own communities.
- Who is the intended ideal audience for the topic?
Educators, Volunteers, Students, Affiliate staffs
- Slides or further information
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.