- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Educating educators online
- Author(s) of the submission
- Marios Magioladitis
- E-mail address
- Country/place of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia User Group Greece
- Main theme
- how we make it happen
- Type of session
- Length of session
- 20 min + 10 min q&a
- Do you want to submit a paper for peer-reviewing?
In this work we present the way we organized and themed as well as our conclusions from the operation of a digital school for teachers of all levels, which lasted 8 weeks. The use of Wikipedia in the educational process of all levels enables trainees and teachers to combine knowledge and skills while enriching the global knowledge pool. The purpose of this work is to provide a detailed presentation of how to organize a digital Wikipedia school based on our experience from a platform we built and a seminar we organised during the period 2016-2017. Part of our experience was presented in an international educational congress in 2018. We give guidelines of how we planned an eight-week project with an additional three-week period for completing activities. The nature of the seminar was mostly to educate in the principles and the basics of Wikipedia and its sister projects, while some cycles were giving emphasis to experiential learning through discussion with educators that have used Wikipedia in the school process in the past. This online school addresses to teachers of all levels (primary, secondary, tertiary) and had the general objective of familiarizing them with the Wikipedia Education Program as well as proposing new ideas for school projects which could potentially be applied to schools of all levels or even in university-level workshops.
- How does your proposal add knowledge to the international community in Wikimedia and education?
- Educating teachers has a magnifying effect since teachers can educate students to contribute to Wikipedia
- By using a platform we can train people in large scale
- Who is the intended ideal audience for the topic?
- Teachers looking for school projects that involve Wikipedia and its sister projects
- University students who would like to work in education
- Wikipedians who have connections with schools and universities.
- Slides or further information
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.