- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia’s role in preserving the internet as an open resource
- Author(s) of the submission
- Elly Koepf (WMDE)
- E-mail address
- Country/place of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Deutschland (WMDE)
- Main theme
- Type of session
- Input and discussion
- life long learners, all ages, interested in society and disussions about "what education is"
- Length of session
- about 45 min (including presentation and discussion)
- Do you want to submit a paper for peer-reviewing?
- Equal Participation in society is only possible through the open. In my talk I will highlight WMDE’s understanding of participation in the Open Movement and why this is so important to us. To underline this I will show some examples of our activities and projects at Wikimedia Deutschland (WMDE). Education is a lifelong process that takes place within or outside educational institutions, online as well as offline in "real life". Following that, our understanding of learning needs to concern more than only educational institutions. Wikimedia can have an important role in empowering people to actually share in the net or have access to the sum of all knowledge. Therefore the internet needs to be an open and public resource. Thus, people do not only need access but also skills and literacies to participate. My thesis here: No participation without openness and no knowledge equity without participation. We as part of the Wikimedia movement need to show practices and do political and framing work to be able to show the value of openness.
- How does your proposal add knowledge to the international community in Wikimedia and education?
- Understanding education as a political and social topic
- Opening the eyes for a bigger framework around education in institutions
- Embedding the activities of Wikimedia chapters in the open movement
- Who is the intended ideal audience for the topic?
people of all ages
People interested in society and disussions about "what is education"
- Slides or further information
- beamer would be helpfull
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.