- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikimedia for Astronomy: Engaging the professional astronomy community with Wikimedia
- E-mail address
- Country/place of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Leiden Observatory & International Astronomical Union
- Main theme
- how we make it happen
- Type of session
- Presentation (could be a lightning talk as well)
Engaging professors and students to edit Wikipedia, translating and improving content on non-English Wikipedias, improving Wikipedia as a science education resource
- Length of session
10 minutes + Q&A
- Do you want to submit a paper for peer-reviewing?
To improve Wikipedia's capacity as an educational tool in science, and astronomy in particular, its content must be scientifically accurate and complete, well-explained, and available in many languages. Engaging the professional astronomy community - from researchers to professors to science communicators - to edit Wikipedia aids not only in improving content but also helps diversify the Wikipedia community. In this talk I summarize lessons learned and ongoing challenges engaging professional scientists with Wikipedia and exciting possibilities for the future.
- How does your proposal add knowledge to the international community in Wikimedia and education?
In this talk I will address
- challenges and successes I've experienced talking to scientists about why Wikipedia matters and why they should get involved
- how to encourage researchers and professors to edit, especially when they are under academic pressure to focus on writing journal publications
- how to help close the gender gap by improving coverage of women and minority scientists on Wikipedia and by encouraging more women in science to edit
- how to engage the multilingual astronomy community to translate and write original content in many languages on Wikipedia
- how to engage scientists with other Wikimedia projects including Commons and Wiktionary
- Who is the intended ideal audience for the topic?
- Editors building bridges between Wikimedia and academic institutions, editors interested in translation, editors interested in science and the gender gap.
- Additionally, editors who have experience doing something similar and might be willing to offer advice or critique my activities so far.
- Slides or further information
This learning pattern I wrote goes into further detail on the necessity of translation and multilingual astronomy content.
- Special requests
If interested, I have a poster on this topic I can bring/present as well.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.