- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Wikipédia Menyang Sekolah – A Wikimedia Indonesia’s pilot project on Education
- Author(s) of the submission
- E-mail address
- Country/place of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
Javanese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Indonesia
- Main theme
How we make it happen
- Type of session
Teachers, students, professors
- Length of session
15-20 minutes presentation and 10 minutes Q&A
- Do you want to submit a paper for peer-reviewing?
Wikipédia Menyang Sekolah is a Wikimedia Indonesia’s pilot project for Javanese Wikipedia that attempts to integrate the Wikipedia editing activities with the schools/universities’ curricula. This project aims to change the stereotype of Javanese language lesson in class that has been viewed as boring, and is not able to fit the advancement of technology. Furthermore, by implementing this project in schools and or universities, we expect to:
- Introduce Wikipedia to the educational institutions, especially to the teachers and students, as well as raise their awareness about Wikimedia and its movement
- Challenge the educational institutions to provide another form of Javanese language pedagogy
- Challenge the teachers to make use of technology, in this case, Wikipedia, to conduct the class assignment or exams
- Increase the teachers’ as well as students’ Javanese literacy through participating on Wikipedia
- Increase the quality as well as the quantity of the contents of Javanese Wikipedia
- Gain more contributors
- Grow Javanese Wikipedia community into a bigger community
- Preserve Javanese language and;
- Provide more knowledge that is accessible and understandable by people who speak Javanese language through Wikipedia
- How does your proposal add knowledge to the international community in Wikimedia and education?
- This proposal mainly addresses the success as well as challenges of organizing an Education program focusing on Javanese Wikipedia. Javanese itself is one of the indigenous languages in Indonesia. With more than 80 million native speakers, Javanese Wikipedia is expected to experience rapid growth, yet, in fact, it doesn't. Therefore, as one of the attempts to gain more contributors for Javanese Wikipedia, this project will add knowledge to the international community in terms of the success and challenges of conducting an Education project focusing on indigenous language Wikis. We hope that by delivering this presentation, many other communities can take a closer look at this project and understand the things that need to be evaluated as well as the things that need to be cheered from it. We also expect to meet Wikimedians who also face the same challenges with their projects, thus, we can learn from as well as give advice to each other, to make the next projects working on the same scheme better.
- Who is the intended ideal audience for the topic?
Teachers, students, learners, professors, anyone or any Wikimedians interested in indigenous language Wikis, or anyone who is interested in Education and intend to run similar project.
- Slides or further information
- Special requests
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest.