Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018/Programme/Submission/Wikipedias in the languages of Russia: Growing multilingualism online
Title of your proposal
Wikipedias in the languages of Russia: Growing multilingual diversity online
Name(s) and/or username(s)
- Farhad Fatkullin, User:frhdkazan
- Wikimedia Russia, Wikimedia Languages of Russia Community User Group (Affiliation not started), 2018 Wikimedian of the Year
- Strategic discussions:
- Increasing the level of cooperation on the level of communities.
- Attracting new editors and creating comfortable conditions for them.
- Developments of small communities.
- Capacity development:
- Creation and development of local communities. Recognition from WMF. Support of small communities.
- Encouragement of new editors.
- Outreach, particularly in education.
- Working groups:
- Trans-border cooperation (several separate topics of cooperation applicable, particularly, article contests, GLAM and other projects).
- Trans-border contests: CEE Spring, WLE, WLM, European Science Photo Competition, Wikiexpeditions. Particularly, a lot of applicants mentioned desire to discuss the future of CEE Spring, or another contest which will replace it.
Type of submission (Please choose one)
- Presentation with discussion (one-to-many + Q&A)
With 32 Wikipedias in the languages with some official status in the Russian Federation, the latter is the leading multilingual country in the Wikimedia world. Moreover, with close to 100 indigenous languages, over and above the global multilingualism present in Russia, the country's culture is a sanctuary of cultural diversity. Individual humans naturally prioritize own survival & satisfying physical needs & wants (food, shelter, etc.), whilst cultural and spiritual values are seen as subservient, even if often declared otherwise. In times of global information society & digital culture, a language without a thriving volunteer-supported Wikipedia is doomed to fall behind & perish, taking away its related cultural heritage and diversity of point of views. Languages with smaller speaker population are more vulnerable, but in the long-term this is true for all of us. This presentation is to showcase what Wikimedia Russia & Wikimedia Languages of Russia Community volunteers are doing about it.
- Wikimedia CEE colleagues will be exposed to:
- Wikimedia Russia & Wikimedia Languages of Russia Community volunteers' experiences
- Wikimedia Indigenous Languages project scale
- The eventual challenge for all linguistic & cultural diversity in human society
- Feedback to be collected during the presentation and at Q&A
Duration (without Q&A)
- Laptop with a projector
- Possibly flipchart & pencils for note-taking
Slides or further information
- Slides to be provided
- Preparation space
Interested attendees (Please add yourself, and you may indicate your questions to the presenter).
- --Saintfevrier (talk) 07:05, 28 August 2018 (UTC)
- --Visem (talk) 18:59, 3 October 2018 (UTC)