Wikimedia Community User Group Turkey/Reports/2019
2019 was another year that Turkish internet users did not have access to Wikipedia. Still, the user group continued to organize editing contests with remaining active users, there were a number of education activities, some representation in global conferences and events and most importantly wikipedians in Istanbul started weekly meet-ups at the end of the year. We kept our hopes high that Wikipedia will be accessible soon and continued our work.
- Wikipedians gave training at Galatasaray University Faculty of Communications, Istanbul to help students to create Wikipedia articles on their Jou 404- Content and Resource Management in Digital Media course.
- Wikipedians gave training for the Computer Science students of TOBB Unviersity, Ankara to support them in translating Wikipedia articles for their BIL 448- Internet Security Protocols course assignment.
- Organized the local competition for Vikibahar 2019 Wikimedia CEE Spring between March 23 - May 31 2019.
- Organized the local competition for Bridges across Cultures contest between December 1 - 31.
Global Wikimedia meetings and conferences
- March 29 - 31 - A user group members participated in WMCON in Berlin. Participant notes are here: Elmacenderesi
- August 5 - 9 Two members represented the user group at Wikimania, Stockholm. - Please find the notes here: HakanIST,
- October 11 - 13 - Two members represented the user group at the Wikimedia CEE meeting in Belgrade. Please find the notes here: Basak, Sakhalinio
Begining from November 5th, our user group started to make regular weekly meetings on Tuesday nights at Istanbul. Since then every month, three of the meetings are being organized at a coffee-house and one meeting is being held in Uskudar University so that members from other cities may also participate remotely. 5-15 participants are coming together in the meetings.