Wikimedia Conference/Program and Engagement Coordination/Wikimania 2017 report/Board Member Support
Board Member Support
- Facilitator: Frans Grijzenhout (WMNL), Cornelius Kibelka (WMDE)
- Participants: Luis (WMMX), Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight (AffCom), Philipp Kopetzky (WMAT), Edward Galvez (WMF), Jaime Anstee (WMF), Gereon Kalkuhl (German Community), Hogne Neteland (WMNO), Tim Moritz Hector (WMDE), Vojtech Dostal (WMCZ), Mykola Kozlenko (WMUA), Nataliia Tymkiv (WMF), Salvador Alcántar (AffCom), Tamás Mészöly (WMHU)
Frans & Tim gave an overview of the last Board Training Workshops in 2016 and 2017, with the intention to discuss with participants how to continue, what future topics should be covered and what formats/ways of support should we have within the Wikimedia movement to support board members of Wikimedia affiliates.
Participants discussed most pressing challenges within their boards (or that were important for boards for what they know). Clustered topics were
- Hiring first employee / Staff management / relations between board and staff
- Finding new board members / onboard new board members
- Board transition (transfer of tasks & knowledge)
- Timely/responsive communication
- Conflict management
- Governance / operative vs strategic board
Participants then ranked those topics in an Eisenhower matrix (not important / very important vs can wait/urgent).
After having identified main topics, discussion continued towards what kind of formats / ways of support there should be. All those topics were then ranked in a matrix resources vs commitment. For what we know, no actual commitment was taken for any topic or format.