Wikimedia Conference 2018/Program/18
18. Sharing approaches on GLAM partnerships
- Length (min)
- Audience / Target group
everyone, particularly Wikimedians who start working with GLAM institutions
- Session Format
Every speaker has 10 min presentation, followed by 5 min Q&A.
Among participants of the Wikimedia Conference 2018, there is a strong wish to learn more about partnerships with GLAM institutions.
4 speakers showing and explaining their approach, starting with the broadest and ending with 1-2 very specific ones. Every speaker has 3 template slides, filled with they have learned, what are the challenges/limitations of their approach, what the movement could learn from it.
- Desired Outcome
Inspiration & more Wikimedians look for partnerships outside with GLAM institutions
Astrid Carlsen (WMNO)
- Partnership with National Archive
- Went well, a good example of collaboration with Wikimedia Armenia.
- Political considerations had to be negotiated.
- Happy partnerships are when everyone feels they’ve gained something they couldn’t achieve alone.
Rachmat Wahidi (WMID)
- Partnership with WMNL to transcribe letters in nlwikisource.
- Challenging to convince organisation to scan and upload
- Working with multiple orgs helped make the project results more usable
Q&A: What kind of scanner were you using? - 1000 pixel scanner. The DIY scanner was donated to the museum.
Daria Cybulska (WMUK)
- National Library of Scotland
- What does sustainability mean? A lasting change in terms of what people saw the libraries’ purpose as.
- Being aware of the level of digital skills is key so expectations are realistic
How do you sell this to an organisation? - Convince them it makes their job easier. e.g if they made things available on an open license it frees up staff from that for other activities.