Wikimedia Conference 2018/Program/31
31. New Challenges for supporting Wikimedians
Christel Steigenberger (Wikimedia Foundation)
- Length (min)
- Audience / Target group
- Session Format
short presentation and discussion afterward
From discussions around strategy, but also through the input of individual volunteers, the Support & Safety Team of the Foundation has become aware of new needs on how to support and ensure the safety of Wikimedians around the world. After a short input on what we have learned so far, especially on threats and dangers to contributors by governments and others who want to control knowledge, I want to discuss with you your views and ideas on this issue.
- Desired Outcome
Input of ideas, new perspectives, knowledge about existing threats and dangers from Wikimedians around the world.
- Next Steps and Milestones
Incorporating the things I learn into Support and Safety procedures.
Ways people with power try to take influence:
- Censoring and removing access to Wikimedia projects
- Putting pressure on affiliates
- Putting pressure on individual Wikimedians
- Financial influence
- Taking direct action onwiki
Ways the Movement can deal with such issues:
- Guarding the anonymity of editors
- WMF and affiliates refraining from taking influence on content
- legal actions
- Social influence
- Banning/Blocking, restricting editors
- Other means
Group discussion continued with identifying problems and proposing possible solutions to them.