Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2017-2018/Final/Wikimedia Brand and Identity
Wikimedia Brand and Identity
Teams: Communications, Advancement (Partnerships & Global Reach)
Program Leads: Executive sponsors: Heather Walls, Lisa Gruwell; Zack McCune (Communications), Chuck Roslof (Legal), Adele Vrana (Partnerships & Global Reach)
Strategic Priorities: Communities, Reach
Timeframe: 12 months
|Wikimedia Brand and Identity||Description of Brand and Identity Expenses|
|Non Staffing Expenses||-|
|Data Center Expenses||-|
|Donation Processing Fees||-|
|Outside Contract Services||850||Includes three primary elements:
|Travel & Conferences||-|
|Other expenses (Wikidata, Personal Property Taxes)||-|
|Total Program Expenses||850|
- Brand audit - Review our brand's market position, competitors, consumer perceptions, and global market variance
- Brand architecture - Review the ecosystem of brand participants, from volunteer editors, to donors, to press, to readers, to Foundation teams
- Brand story - Review overarching brand value, what must all regions share, what can be and should be localized
- Brand recommendations - Review and determine how the brand could be improved, corrected, repositioned to succeed through 2030
- Brand element updates - Reacting to some of the recommendations: how can design and messaging go to work right now?
- Movement Strategy and Wikimedia Brand and Identity will be funded with Board Designated Funds.
The Wikimedia brand — which is really the trust that the public has in the projects because of the efforts of volunteers — is one of the most valuable things we steward. As the Foundation, we maintain strong trademark protections, ensure the Wikimedia brand is consistent and protected from abuse and misappropriation, and work to increase brand awareness around the world. Wikimedia’s vision is for everyone to share in all knowledge, and good use of the brand is part of how we reach toward that incredible goal.
We work with the Wikimedia communities to enable and facilitate mission-aligned use of the brand. With them, we seek opportunities that spread awareness of the values of Wikimedia. We also enforce against misuse of the Wikimedia trademarks in order to protect the brands and keep the public’s trust.
There are countries where the Wikimedia brands and trademarks are not widely recognized, and in many of these our brand is not being associated with knowledge. In those places we have an opportunity to increase awareness by researching, collaborating with different third parties that are re-using and distributing Wikimedia content, and creating campaigns to grow our communities.
Following a discovery process, build a brand strategy and underlying architecture that helps the Wikimedia movement and projects reach their goals and fulfill potential. We need to create this strategy with our global community in a way that supports the durability of Wikimedia, and near-term goals of movement members. We will continue to allow and seek out uses of the brand that align with our goals, and ensure the trademarks are protected as we expand brand awareness. At the same time, we will continue to stop and prevent uses that have the potential to damage the brands and trademarks.