Wikimedia Ghana/About My School Contest
This page is under construction.
Please help review and edit this page.
Over 90% of high schools in Ghana do not have Wikipedia articles about their institutions online, a survey has revealed. We plan on helping students and teachers put these schools on Wikipedia via a campaign dubbed About My School Contest. The contest will be open to all high schools nationwide and there will be prizes for participants as incentives.
- To promote the awareness of Wikimedia Foundation's wiki projects especially Wikipedia, as useful yet free educational resources
- To provide firsthand information about these schools for the public
- Teach participants how to contribute and edit articles during the campaign
- Foster user content generation among Ghanaian high school students towards education
- Nkansahrexford (talk • contribs • email)
- Adamteybenjamin (talk • contribs • email)
- SandisterTei (talk • contribs • email)
Probable start date: August. Official launch on [date unscheduled]. End date: [date unscheduled]
The project shall embark on a pilot program for 2 days beginning [date unscheduled] in Koforidua, Eastern Region, engaging a total of 10 public and/or private High Schools.
- Introduce the About My School Contest to the schools.
- Run short but in-depth tutorials and/or lectures on how to use Wikipedia and/or other sister project sites will be held at each school - targeting both students and tutors as viable contributors.
- Reporting: Upon successful completion, the principal will be required to approve/sign documentation confirming that this project has been undertaken in his/her school. Pictures shall also be taken and filed together with the certificates of completion.
- Upon completion, the team shall assess the outcome of the pilot. Assessment will included the setbacks incurred, the success and other observations
- The final report will be submitted to our local Ministry of Education, the Wikimedia Foundation and another other interested parties
- Afterwards, the team shall work on the nationwide project
- The student Winner of the About My School contest per school basis gets a 3G enabled modem with 5Gig subscribed bundle for 3 months use.
- Customized Wikimedia Ghana T-Shirt + Shares his short time experience with Wikipedia in an interview.
- Joins students who participated in the contest on a trip to 3 selected Forts/Museums/tourist sites in Ghana.
Funding & Support
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Wikimedia Switzerland(probably)
- Ministry of Education (maybe)
- Any other source
There exists a high degree of uncertainty, surrounding the cost and the precise nature that this is a project of high magnitude (countrywide).