Wikimedia Nigeria/FindingGLAMs in Nigeria/Report
FindingGLAMs is a project organized by Wikimedia Sverige (Sweden) in building a truly worldwide database of cultural heritage institutions and their collections on Wikipedia, the largest and most popular educational site in the world. It will empower cultural organizations to share their knowledge and content with the world through collaboration, training, documentation and case studies in Nigeria and also lay the groundwork for a long term and sustainable collaboration between cultural organisations and the Wikimedia movement (the organizations behind Wikipedia and other free educational websites).
FindingGLAMs in Nigeria was designed to introduce Librarians to Wikidata and its usefulness for Library Studies. More so, to create visibility to Library in Nigeria on Wikidata.
The program was organised in Nigeria by Wikimedia Nigeria Foundation Inc. in conjunction with :
- Kenneth Dike Library, University of Ibadan (KDL)
- Nimbe Adedipe Library, Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (NAL)
|Project Coordinator One||Olaniyan Olushola|
|Project Coordinator Two||Kaizenify|
Measures of success
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|If at least 2 workshops took place||2 workshops took place at Kenneth Dike Library, University of Ibadan and Nimbe Adedipe Library|
|If at least 120 participants attended the 2 workshops took place||Only 83 librarians attended the 2 workshops||This is due to the clash of official engagements of some of the invited librarians with the workshops|
- Programs: 2
- Editor; 83 but only 59 were able to login into the dashboard due to internet lapses
- Words Added: 37.1K
- Article Edited 124
- Article Created 91
- References Added: 55
- Articles View: 100k
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Wikimedia Nigeria Foundation Inc's partnership with the two mentioned Universities provided an avenue for working with Librarians
- Gifts were giving to librarians with the highest contribution during the workshop. This initiative helps to increase the contributions of the participants.
- Outreach dashboard was deployed to measure metrics of the workshop.
- certificates of participation were issued to all the participants as evidence of participation at the workshop.
- What did not work so well?
- . Unlike Nimbe Adedipe Library, the majority of the librarians at KDL were seeing Wikidata for the very first time so it took a long time to introduce them to the project.
- . Quality internet connectivity was a major challenge as it was very poor and hence limit the progress.
- . Library like Kenneth Dike Library experienced complete power failure which slowed down the pace of progress of the workshop.
Is there anything else you want to share about the conference or event?
The knowledge gap within the Library system in Nigeria is enormous and the two universities are willing to work with us for another round of the GLAM related project. We, therefore, identify the following likely projects:
- Adding Bibliography of authors with published journals to Wikidata.
- Adding of published academics journals to Wikidata for citations
- Nigeria is the largest country in Africa with over 700+ Universities and each institution has at least a functioning academic library.
We are hoping to organise a conference where stakeholders in Library studies in Nigeria will be exposed to the importance of structured data in the Library.
Printing Services for Inv 006785
|Date||Description of Items||Vendor||Reference No||USD||Remarks|
|16th Jan. 2020||Supply of Power Device for the Workshops||CRYPTI ENter||0062||162|
|17th Jan. 2020||Catering Services for 120 pple||Olbims Serv||0094||1080|
|17th Jan. 2020||Printing Services for Inv 006785||SAYCOL||00358||288.23|
|17th Jan. 2020||Supply of data Plan- 60GB||Sandwich ICT||015177||196.66|