Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Eesti/Financial statement 2013
This is the unofficial English translation of the Estonian original of financial statement of the year 2013 of Wikimedia Eesti. For further information You can consult Estonian original here.
- Beginning of fiscal year: 01.01.2013
- End of fiscal year: 31.12.2013
- Name: Mittetulundusühing Wikimedia Eesti (Non-profit organization Wikimedia Eesti)
- Estonian registry code: 80316310
- Address: Raekoja plats 1/Ülikooli 7
- City: Tartu
- County: Tartu
- Postal code: 51003
- Phone number: +372 58145381
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Aim of Activity
- Non-profit organization Wikimedia Eesti has as its aim supporting of the collection, preservation and distribution of educational, scientific, cultural and historical data available under a free license, especially in Estonian and Võro languages and making more freely licensed information available about Estonia in other languages, as well as providing support to activities and projects of international non-profit organization Wikimedia Foundation.
Main Activities of Year 2013
- The main activity of Wikimedia Eesti in year 2013 was supporting the improvement of the content of Estonian Wikipedia and bringing Estonia-related media content to Wikimedia Commons through various competitions, bees and training activities. As a direct result of the activity of Wikimedia Eesti more than 450 articles in Estonian and Võro Wikipedia were added or significantly improved and almost 2800 pictures were published in Commons under a free license.
- Main expenses for such activities are expenses for prizes and various administrative costs.
- A second important field of activity of Wikimedia Eesti in year 2013 was active participation in the gatherings of international Wikimedia movement with the main cost article of traveling expenses. In addition a cooperation month with Wikimedia Armenia was organized in the end of year 2013. As a result 422 Estonia-related articles were added or significantly improved in Armenian Wikipedia. As a follow-up Wikimedia Eesti will host a representative of the community of Armenian Wikipedia in Estonia and will send one representative of the community of Estonian Wikipedia to Armenia.
- Third important activity in year 2013 was involving wider public through presentation of itinerant exhibitions of winning pictures of photo competitions in different locations in Estonia. In 2013 2 exhibitions were presented in 7 different locations, one of them will continue its tour in the first half of the year 2014. The main expenses of exhibitions are printing and transportation costs and various administrative costs.
Financial Sources in Year 2013
- In year 2013 Wikimedia Eesti received a grant from Wikimedia Foundation to carry out its programmatic activities and cover administrative costs. The expenditure period of the grant does not correspond to the fiscal year of Wikimedia Eesti and some activities related to the grant will be carried out in the year 2014. With the grant for the year 2014 Wikimedia Eesti will try to achieve the correspondence of the expenditure period of the financing of Wikimedia Foundation and the fiscal year of Wikimedia Eesti.
- In the end of December of year 2013 a contract was signed with Estonian Ministry of Education and Science for wikipedization of the research work of the students of secondary schools in Estonia. The activity period of this project is from the 1st of December 2013 to the 30th of June 2014, which means that the main activities will be carried out during the next fiscal year.
- In addition in year 2013 Wikimedia Eesti received 2 targeted grants for executing 2 specific projects: from Estonian Research Council for executing Science Photo of the Year competition (popularization of science) and from the city administration of Tartu for creating an exhibition from the winning photos of big photo competition of Tartupeedia. The activities related to the latter grant are planned to take place in the beginning of next fiscal year.
- The percentage of non-targeted funding in the financial sources of Wikimedia Eesti remains very small.
Investments in Year 2013
- In year 2013 Wikimedia Eesti did not make any remarkable investments.
Important Developments in Year 2013
- In 2013 a process of professionalization of Wikimedia Eesti was started. As a result in October 2013 2 administrative employees were hired. There were other candidates with suitable profile for the organization and Wikimedia Eesti has tried to engage these candidates through various projects. As a result Wikimedia Eesti has increased its scope of activity in year 2013 and certain expansion will continue in year 2014. This process will be financed with the funding from Wikimedia Foundation and newly hired project writer will be engaged with searching new financial sources for the organization.
- In the end of the year 2013 an agreement was made with Estonian Ministry of Education and Science to carry through a pilot project of wikipedization of research work of students of Estonian secondary schools and on the 30th of November Wikimedia Eesti hired 2 employees related to the project. In the framework of the project involvement of other employees is planned on the basis of agency agreements and employment contracts.
- In year 2013 Wikimedia Eesti continued its strategy work and in year 2014 strategy and development plan of the organization may be published, which will help the organization to operate in a more coordinated manner.
- As of the 31st of December 2013, Wikimedia Eesti had 33 members.
- In 2013 Wikimedia Eesti hired its first employees who started their work on the 14th of October 2013. Their positions are board assistant and project writer, they work part-time (0,5 and 0,75 positions respectively). The contracts of administrative employees are fixed-termed, ending on the 14th of April, but will be prolonged when the allocation from Wikimedia Foundation will be received.
- In relation to the educational pilot project on the 30th of November a full-time trainer of teachers and students and a part-time (0,45) project coordinator were hired. Their contracts are fixed-termed and will end on the 30th of June 2014.
- In year 2013 Wikimedia Eesti had 3 members of the board and there were no changes in the board membership. During the year 2013 board members did not receive neither wage nor remarkable benefits in kind.
|Cash and Cash Equivalents||45,827.00||6,799.00||2|
|Accounts receivable and deferred expenses||588.00||1,276.00|
|Total Current Assets||46,415.00||8,075.00|
|Liabilities and Equity|
|Accounts payable and deferred income||2,279.00||62.00||4|
|Total Current Liabilities||2,279.00||62.00|
|Targeted fees, donations, subsidies||41,149.00||5,239.00||5|
|Total of Long-term Liabilities||41,149.00||5,239.00|
|Accumulated retained earnings from previous periods||2,757.00||2,677.00|
|Retained earnings from fiscal year||230.00||97.00|
|Total of Liabilities and Equity||46,415.00||8,075.00|
|Donations and subsidies||18,687.00||6,605.00||7|
|Direct expenses of projects with targeted funding||-3,702.00||-5,338.00||8|
|Various operating costs||-11,036.00||-801.00||9|
|Result from Operating Activities||229.00||30.00|
|Other Financial Incomes and Expenses||1.00||67.00|
|Retained Earnings from Fiscal Year||230.00||97.00|
Statement of Cash Flows
|Cash Flows from Operating Activities|
|Result from operating activities||229.00||30.00|
|Change in accounts receivable and deferred expenses related to operating activities||688.00||-1,251.00|
|Change in accounts payable and deferred income related to operating activities||2,217.00||-89.00|
|Income from targeted fees, donations and subsidies||35,910.00||5,239.00|
|Other cash flows from operating activities||-17.00||0.00|
|Total of Cash Flows from Operating Activities||39,027.00||3,929.00|
|Cash Flows from Investing Activities|
|Total of Cash Flows from Investing Activities||1.00||67.00|
|Total of Cash Flows||39,028.00||3,996.00|
|Cash and cash equivalents in the beginning of the fiscal year||6,799.00||2,803.00||2|
|Change in cash and cash equivalents||39,028.00||3,996.00|
|Cash and Cash Equivalents in the End of the Fiscal Year||45,827.00||6,799.00||2|
Statement of Changes in Equity
|Accumulated Retained Earnings||Total Equity|
|Retained Earnings from Fiscal Year||97.00||97.00|
|Retained Earnings from Fiscal Year||230.00||230.00|
|Other Changes in Equity||-17.00||-17.00|
Appendice 1 Accounting Policies
- The 2013 Financial Statement has been composed on the basis of Estonian Accounting Standard. The main requirements of the Estonian Accounting Standard are presented in the Accounting Act, supplemented by the Guidelines of the Accounting Standards Board.
- Any materially fixed, known, and potential liabilities are reflected in the balance.
- In reflecting incomes and expenses the accrual method of accounting has been implemented. According to this principle, income and expenses will be presented as part of the reporting period they are related to, regardless of actual cash flows.
- Financial statement has been composed in euros. Financial statement has been composed in the time period from the 1st February 2014 to 19th February 2014.
- Cash in treasury and bank account balances are considered as cash and its equivalents in cash flow statement. Foreign exchange currency accounts are presented as of 31.12.2013 with the exchange rate of European Central Bank.
Accounts Receivable and Deferred Expenses
- Accounts receivable and deferred expenses are evaluated on the basis of the accrual method of accounting.
Material and Immaterial Fixed Assets
- Assets will be registered as fixed assets if their value exceeds 639 euros and 12 cents.
- Income is presented on the basis of the accrual method of accounting.
- Income from membership fees is presented for the period for which they are accounted for.
- Received donations and subsidies (incl. assets from collections and targeted income) are accounted according to the following principles:
- Non-targeted donations are depicted as income at the moment their accrual is practically certain (considering, if necessary, the period they have been paid for);
- targeted donations and subsidies (incl. non-monetary donations and subsidies) are depicted on the basis of principles of targeted financing accounting as presented in Guide RTJ 12 (income is depicted in time periods where expenses for which the donations and subsidies have been allocated occur).
Appendice 2 Cash
|Cash in Treasury||58.00||62.00|
Appendice 3 Tax Advances or Arrears
|Tax Advances or Arrears|
|Social Security Costs||34.00|
|Total of Tax Advances or Arrears||594.00|
Appendice 4 Accounts Payable and Deferred Income
|Distribution According to Due Date|
|31.12.2013||In 12 Months||In 1-5 Years||More than 5 Years||Appendice No|
|Payables to Employees||1,493.00||1,493.00|
|Total of Accounts Payable and Deferred Income||2,279.00||2,279.00|
|Distribution According to Due Date|
|31.12.2012||In 12 Months||In 1-5 Years||More than 5 Years||Appendice No|
|Total of Accounts Payable and Deferred Income||62.00||62.00|
Appendice 5 Targeted Fees, Donations and Subsidies
|Targeted Financing for operating activities|
|Estonian Research Council||950.00||-950.00||0.00|
|Total of Targeted Financing for Operating Activities||11,733.00||-6,494.00||5,239.00|
|Total of Targeted Fees, Donations and Subsidies||11,733.00||-6,494.00||5,239.00|
|Targeted Financing for operating activities|
|Estonian Ministry of Education and Science||27,000.00||-1,509.00||25,491.00|
|Estonian Research Council||600.00||-600.00||0.00|
|Municipality of City of Tartu||300.00||-300.00||0.00|
|Total of Targeted Financing for Operating Activities||5,239.00||54,568.00||-18,658.00||41,149.00|
|Total of Targeted Fees, Donations and Subsidies||5,239.00||54,568.00||-18,658.00||41,149.00|
Appendice 6 Payments from Members
|Total of Payments from Members||150.00||95.00|
Appendice 7 Donations and Subsidies
|Targeted Financing for Operating Activities||18,657.00||6,495.00|
|Non-Targeted Donations and Subsidies||30.00||110.00|
|Total of Donations and Subsidies||18,687.00||6,605.00|
Appendice 8 Direct Expenses of Targeted Financed Projects
|Science Photo of the Year||800.00||854.00|
|Wiki Loves Monuments||539.00||790.00|
|HELP and ELAV||0.00||267.00|
|Wikipedia Summer Days||0.00||455.00|
|Estonian Wikipedia 10||0.00||165.00|
|Wikipedization of Research Work of Secondary School Students||1,509.00||0.00|
|Total of Direct Expenses of Targeted Financed Projects||3,702.00||5,338.00|
Appendice 9 Various Activity Expenses
|Various Office Expenses||163.00||10.00|
|Motivational & Strategy Events||754.00||0.00|
|Total of Various Activity Expenses||11,036.00||801.00|
Appendice 10 Labour Expenses
|Social Security Taxes||995.00||136.00|
|Total of Labour Expenses||5,413.00||531.00|
|Depicted as Direct Expenses of Targeted Financed Projects||1,493.00||0.00|
|Number of Employees Reduced to Full-time Positions||1||0|
Appendice 11 Involved Parties
|Number of Members by the End of Fiscal Year|
|Number of Natural Person Members||33||31|
|Payments and Other Benefits in Kind Calculated for the Executive and Higher Management (in Euros)|