Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201305
This is the chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for May 2013.
COMMUNITY: supporting and mobilising volunteers and editors
- Amsterdam Hackathon
- 149 participants from 31 countries came to Amsterdam for the Hackathon in late May. Technologists taught and attended sessions on how to write and run a bot, use the new Lua templating language, how to move from Toolserver to the new Wikimedia Labs, design, Wikidata, security, and the basics of Git and Gerrit. The Amsterdam Hackathon was the best attended event in the history of the Hackathon so far. Check out the workshops page for slides, tutorials, and other reference material. So far, 90 participants have submitted the post-event survey and results are largely positive, with (of course) several suggestions for improvements.
WORK: content, collaboration and activity development
- Europeana Fashion Editathon
- Centraal Museum Utrecht and The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, two partners of the Europeana Fashion project, organised a fashion themed edit-a-thon in cooperation with Wikimedia Nederland and ModeMuze. The goal of the edit-a-thon was to improve the information and visibility of fashion articles on the Dutch Wikipedia The day started with a general introduction about Wikimedia projects and editing Wikipedia pages. 37 participants (many of them first time contributors and many of them women) edited, translated or created 27 pages in total. More information: Project information (Dutch) and Photos of the edit-a-thon
- Wikipedian(s) in Residence
- The National Archives of The Netherlands (NA) and the National Library of The Netherlands (KB) started the recruitment process for the first Dutch Wikipedian in Residence (WiR). The group of Special Scientific Libraries will start looking for two more WiR's later this year. Currently there is one more project in preparation for WiR's. The expectation is that there will be 3 to 4 Dutch WiR's by the end of the year.
- Wiki loves libraries
- The project Wiki loves Libraries has been given a new impulse after an inactive period. Wiki loves bieb is a project of the Public Library and Wikimedia Nederland (WMNL) to promote the use of and improve the quality of articles on Wikipedia. A brainstorm session will be organised in August by BiSC Utrecht and WMNL to make an inventory of activities in the province Utrecht for 2014. Possibly these activities will also take place in the provinces Zeeland, Friesland, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland.
WMNL: participation and support
- Brainstorming on participation and communication
- On May 4, members, board & staff of Wikimedia Nederland met with researchers from Motivaction to discuss how the results of the survey Motivaction carried out among the Netherlands Wikimedia community will be translated into action. The meeting resulted in new ideas on how to increase participation and communicate the WIkimedia message.
- Another issue of the newsletter was published.
RESOURCES: Strong and sustainable financial position
WMNL submitted a request for funding to organise activities in the city The Hague, within the framework of Wiki Loves Monuments. We are awaiting the outcome of our application.
GLOBAL: International collaboration
ORGANISATION: board, management and support
Tom Kisters joined the WMNL office on May 1 as staff member for finances and office management.