Wikimedians of Nepal/Open Data Day 2014
The goal to mark this event is team building among open communities and beginning a series of collaborative events for enhancing knowledge and awareness about the Free and open source software, open data, open content, and various open knowledge technologies. We are also launching Open Community Consortium in the very day by giving our solidarity on it.
Wikimedia Nepal is going to launch the Wiki School on the same event.
The event pictures are available at Open Data Day 2014 in Wikimedia Commons.
- Date: 22 February, 2014 (Saturday)
- Venue: GPF Building, Kamaladi, Kathmandu (Near to Kamaladi Ganeshsthan)See map
- Time: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Registration: 10:00 a.m.
- Maker Party( Data on Web): Starts at 10:00 a.m.(Continued side event)
- Open Spending Hackathon : Starts at 10:00 a.m. (Continued side event)
- Wiki School: Starts at 11:15 a.m.(Continued side event) Learn to write in Wiki in Wiki School
- Launching Open Community Consortium : 2:45 PM
- Launching Wiki School: 11:15 a.m.- (Organization -Wikimedia Nepal)
- Result of Maker Party: 2:00 p.m.
- Result of Open Spending Hackathonl: 2:30 - (Organization - OKFN)
- Talks : 11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Open Afternoon: Free Discussion/ Socialization - 1:00 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Hi-Tea : 1:30-2:00 p.m.
- Program ends at 3:00 p.m.
Open Spending Hackathon
(Facilitators ) OpenSpending exists to “map the money worldwide” – that is, to track and analyse public financial information globally. Concretely, OpenSpending is:
- A central, high-quality, open database of public financial information, including budgets, spending, balance sheets, procurement etc
- A community of users and contributors to this database
- A set of open resources providing technical, fiscal, and political understanding necessary to work with financial information.
The OpenSpending database is a resource for the many individuals and groups who wish to discuss and investigate public financial information, including journalists, academics, campaigners, and more.
In Open Data Day, OKF Nepal volunteers are working to build the portal for open spending in Nepal, where anyone can easily access the government spending, give feedback for each program .
(Facilitators ) This program is presented by the Mozilla Nepal Community, where people meet up, share their skills and make amazing things on the web using the tools like Thimble and Popcorn. This time people will focus on, to present the data in most interesting way. OKF Nepal will support for the part of data.
(Facilitators Srijan, Anupam, Bishal, Junu) Wiki School is a concept to have regular sessions for discussion and exchange Teaching Learning activities. The school will be open for anybody who is interested regardless of any profession, inclination, or background.
The session shall be conducted as a side event of the ODD program. Graduates from the first Wikipedia Education Program at Islington College will facilitate the session.
Time 11:45 AM - 1:15 PM The Open Talk will be a facilitated interaction among various practitioners of Open Ecosystem in Nepal. The discussion will attempt to draw the mapping of various prospects, initiatives and possible collaboration in Nepal. The session will be facilitated by Hempal Shrestha and we will have representation of following communities for Open :- Open Community Collaboration -
- Open Source - Prabin Guatam
- Open Data - Prakash Neupane
- Open Content- (Wikipedia) Ganesh Poudel
- Open Hardware - Suresh / Sunoj Shrestha
- Open Web - Avash Mulmi / Surit
- Open Education - Subir / Rabi (TBC)
- Open Governance - (Open OCR) Samsher
- Open Media - Ankur Sharma / (TBC)
- Open GLAM - Saroj Dhakal
Some of the leading questions to the fellow panelist can be: (We will be live with the discussion and will follow how our discussion will lead us) A round of max 2 min each for each talkies to subscribe following issues.
- What is Open ......
- What is the background and current progress of Open ..... in context of Nepal.
- What is its importance in relation to Nepal.
- What are the challenges and possible prospective actions for Open .... in Nepal.
- How can the collective community effort streamlined to ensure Open Knowledge Society.
The discussion will be than primarily targeted towards the Open Knowledge Society and how these community can collaborate (which they are already doing, but is not fully harmonized) to ensure people's growth towards Open Knowledge Society.
Entry: Free entry to all.
We request you to fill-up the form attached in the link so that it will be convenient for us to plan the program. The form can be found here. [| https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KiD5RSXyKMoxi0ufZwNoEpZcpWhQcxcGsdETDOEMIUY/viewform ]
Wikimedia Nepal, FOSS Nepal Community, Mozilla Nepal, OKF Nepal, NOSK, ASCOL Open Source Community (OSAC), Acme Open Source Community (AOSAC), KU Open Source Community (KUOSC), Robotics Association Nepal, Perspective: OLE Nepal. Any other open community interested may be partnered with us.