Wikimedians of the Levant/Reports/2016/2017 Report
This is the second annual report for Wikimedians of the Levant user group. It covers the financial and project year from May 20, 2016 until May 19, 2017. During this period, Wikimedia Levant hosted various activities both online and offline, with a particular focus on the Wikipedia Education Program and on recruiting university students from around the region.
Education Program in Palestine
For a further resource, check Mohammed Hijjawi's blog post.
|Class||Participating students||Pages created||Pages expanded||Words added||Uploaded files||Article views|
|Cell Biology, Birzeit University||32 students||18 articles||23 articles||72.7K words||6 (used within articles)||8.33K views|
|Microbiology, Birzeit University||52 students||4 articles||12 articles||66.3K words||-||67.3K views|
|Class||Participating students||Pages created||Pages expanded||Words added||Article views|
|Graduate Forensic Chemistry, Birzeit University||20 students||1 article||5 articles||2.88K words||89.8K views|
|Surveying at An-Najah National University||23 students||-||one article||49.9K words||150 views/day|
In collaboration with 7amleh, we held a series of Wikipedia workshops in Ramallah:
- First meetup October 15, 2016
- Second meetup November 5, 2016
- Third meetup December 3, 2016
- Fourth meetup January 14, 2017
- Fifth meetup February 25, 2017
|Campaign||Participating students||Pages created or expanded||Words added||Article views||Further resources|
HerStory campaign at Annajah National University in Nablus
|16 students||16 articles||15K words||Over 7K views||Blog post by Mohammed Hijjawi|
Education Program in Jordan
led by Mossab Banat (Wikipedia education program team leader at the hashemite university):
- Advanced Cell Biology (second edition) (course page), Skin pharmacological preparations (course page), food sciences (course page; it leads to 1 featured article i.e Skin whitening which was the first article in ar.wiki to be featured with the new policy of colleagues review), communication skill for nursing (course page), clinical skills lab (course page), respiratory system anatomy (course page; it leads to 1 featured article i.e hydrochloric acid), bioinformatics (course page), energy resources (course page; it leads to 1 featured article i.e neuclear reactor), wireless networks (course page), computer networks (course page; students in the course contribute in improving Internet protocol suite to be featured by adding 29,958 byte to the article) chemical research methods (course page) and information technology systems (course page) at Hashemite University
- 12 professors
- 163 new articles created (query)
- 500 students
- 2 featured articles and contribution by 29,958 byte to Internet protocol suite article to be featured.
- Over 4200k bytes added (query)
- A group of Turkish language students successfully trained to translate the tourism in Jordan article from Arabic to Turkish.
In collaboration with Wikimedia Nederland, and Stichting Syrische Vrijwilligers Nederland (SYVNL), a group that helps integrate Syrian refugees into Dutch society, we held a workshop to introduce a group of 14 Syrian refugees to the Arabic Wikipedia on March 10, 2017 in Zwolle. (see here and here).
Wikimedians of the Levant organized and coordinated an editing competition in February-March 2017, with prizes donated by Sumou Society. The competition was open to all Arabic Wikipedians, and the main theme was "Science".
|Campaign||Articles created||Of which met the competition's criteria||Of which scientific articles||Articles by unqualified users||Featured and good articles|
|Sumou competition.||694 articles||472 articles||241 articles||134 articles||8 articles|