Wikipedia Asian Month User Group
|Wikipedia Asian Month |
|Founding date||17 May, 2015|
|Approval date||25 September 2018 |
|Other language(s)||Several Asian Languages|
Wikipedia Asian Month is an annual event since 2015 that aims to promote Asian content and culture on Wikipedia. Every November, Wikipedia communities around the world are celebrating the Asian Month by organizing the Edit-a-thon, holding meetups and offline culture events. There are more than 20,000 new high-quality articles written in more than 50 languages in past three years.
Asian topics are largely underrepresented on the internet as well as on Wikipedia despite being the largest and most populous continent. Without being presented on the internet, Asia’s rich culture and history are hard to be learned and known by the rest of the world. Meanwhile, Wikipedia communities in Asia are relatively smaller compared to its large population base. There are 9 Wikipedia projects that have more than 5,000 active users, yet only 2 of them are Asian languages. Among 37 Wikimedia Chapters, only 6 of them are from Asia. Wikipedia Asian Month wishes to narrow these gaps.
Most Asian languages Wikipedia projects remain small compared with its native users. Supporting is essential for these communities to take more approaches to grow. Wikipedia Asian Month devotes itself to this supporter position for demands of community development. For many Wikipedia projects, Wikipedia Asian Month is their only online event. By participating in the Asian Month, you are empowering the WAM team and make all these supporters possible and available to these communities.
Unlike some other Wikipedia events, Wikipedia Asian Month isn’t paying most of its attention to outreach to new users, or highlight extraordinary active editor. Instead, we give most of our effort to praise the core forces of the Wikipedian communities, who has constantly contributed to Wikipedia for a long period of time by writing serval new articles every year, or by making a couple hundred edits once a while.
Alone with the Wikipedia Asian Month itself, WAM UG has missions include:
- Supporting Small Wikipedia communities around the world (majorly Asian Language Wikipedia)
- In past three years, more than 20 small Wikipedia community involved in this event (less than 10k articles). To some of those Wikipedia, WAM is the first and only editing event.
- Provide assistance to small/ startup local communities, to encourage growth and development
- Continuously support and maintain the community health of Wikipedia
- We've reached and interacted with more than 500 very active Wikipedians (who are able to write 5 high quality articles in one month) around the world (from more than 50 countries or regions). To many of these Wikipedians, our postcards, buttons and certificates are the only Wikipedian souvenir they received from many years editing experience.
- Increase the cooperation among the Wikimedia communities and affiliates
- Wikipedia Asian Month is a result of collaboration among all affiliates in ESEAP region, and supported by nearly 20 affiliates in many ways
- Enriching Asian related culture, content, and enjoyment on Wikimedia projects.
Current Edition and Upcoming Events
- Wikipedia Asian Month 2018: Online Edit-a-thon November, 2018
- Wikipedia Asian Month 2015; Participants: 1,096, Article Count: 6096, Communities Participate: 43
- Wikipedia Asian Month 2016; Participants: 734, Article Count: 7970, Communities Participate: 50
- Wikipedia Asian Month 2017; Participants: 694, Article Count: 7429, Communities Participate: 51
- Media Coverage
- Wikimania 2016: The Wikipedia Asian Month panel: how we did it, and how you can do it too
- Wikimedia Diversity Conference 2016: How We Support Small Wikipedia Communities with Wikipedia Asian Month
- WikiConference India 2016: Introduction of Wikipedia Asian Month and how can you join
- ESEAP 2018: Wikipedia Asian Month Review
Interested in participating
- Anyone who supports WAM idea are welcome to join the user group and please sign your name at below
- Sailesh Patnaik 11:17, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- AddisWang (talk) 14:51, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- B20180 (talk) 14:58, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- Takot (talk) 15:04, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- Jamie 林立云 (talk) 15:08, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- --J. Ansari Talk 15:29, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- Muhraz (talk) 16:08, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 04:00, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- Fantasticfears (talk) 07:37, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Tiven2240 (talk) 07:38, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- --J. Patrick Fischer (talk) 07:45, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Yulun5566 (talk) 09:06, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Aliva Sahoo (talk) 11:09, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- Kenrick95 (talk) 12:34, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Liang(WMTW) (talk) 15:21, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- Mesocarpo (talk) 15:31, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Sky Harbor (talk) 04:48, 15 May 2018 (UTC)
- Spring Roll Conan ( Teahouse | Contributions ) 07:31, 15 May 2018 (UTC)
- Exec8 (talk) 10:38, 15 May 2018 (UTC)
- Pilarbini (talk) 21:16, 15 May 2018 (UTC)
- Niklitov (talk) 08:34, 16 May 2018 (UTC)
- ネイ (talk) 05:15, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Wikilover90 (talk) 18:49, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
- Ranjithsiji (talk) 08:27, 11 August 2018 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 16:23, 25 August 2018 (UTC)
- Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 17:06, 23 September 2018 (UTC)
- — Bukhari (Talk!) 18:46, 23 September 2018 (UTC)
- Shypoetess (talk) 18:04, 8 October 2018 (UTC)
- Das 16:37, 14 October 2018 (UTC)
- --- Darwin Ahoy! 16:57, 14 October 2018 (UTC)
- --minhhuy (talk) 07:05, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- --Muhraz (talk) 16:20, 15 October 2018 (UTC)
- Ambadyanands (talk) 11:21, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
- -- Pankaj Deo (Talk) 01:46, 19 October 2018 (UTC)
- --Wikimycota~receptor 🍄 05:09, 1 November 2018 (UTC)
- --Filipinayzd (talk) 16:18, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
- --Svrangerchrista (talk) 21:36, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- --Obaid Raza (talk) 06:13, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- --(Mr.Mani Raj Paul (talk) 12:20, 12 November 2018 (UTC))
- --Ganesh Paudel (talk) 06:48, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- --Aabhas Sharma 1:28,28 November 2018
- --CyberTroopers ( بينچڠ/سومبڠن) Friday, 14 December 2018 18:43:59 (UTC)
- "Recognition of Wikipedia Asian Month User Group by the Affiliations Committee.". Retrieved 4 October 2018.
- This number is measured in different ways with other years.