From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
This page is devoted to the sociology of Wikipedia -- how it works as a community, and as a brave new world.
- Power structure
- Explains the complex and distributed power structure within Wikipedia
- Short description of different levels of hierarchy within Wikipedia.
- The Wikipedia Community
- Description of the community
- Collaborative work of art
- Wikipedia is a collaborative work of art
- The art of Wikipedia weeding or en:Wikipedia:Wiki as fertile soil
- Wikipedia is a garden
- Wikipedia is an ecology of ideas
- Battlefield of ideas
- Wikipedia is a battlefield of ideas
- Wiki is not paper
- A negative metaphor to differentiate Wikipedia from the restrictions of paper-bound encyclopedias.
Patterns and processes at work
- Wikipedia works as an ecology of ideas at the level of article.
- More heat than light
- Describes how sometimes more heat than light is created when collaboratively producing an article
- Wikipedia Vicious Cycle
- en:Linus's law
- Many eyeballs...
- Consensus decision making
- Largely speaking Wikipedia functions happily with consensus decision making.
- Edit wars
- Simple explanation for a misnomer, and a modest suggestion
- Wikipedia holds a collective consciousness of dead links as "unsightly".
Types or tendencies
- Describes various tendencies among contributors to Wikipedia
- A continuum between extreme Eventualism and extreme Immediatism
- Eventualists value Wikipedia for its long-term value. Immediatists value its short-term value as a proper encyclopedia.
- A continuum between extreme Inclusionism and extreme Deletionism
- Inclusionist values every article except obvious junk articles, while Deletionist only value 'proper' articles.
- Academic standards disease
- Describes what happens when a contributor mistakes Wikipedia's goals for academic ones. Includes suggestions for cure.
- Wikipedia:Who, Why?
- Describes the type of people attracted to contributing to Wikipedia and why.
- Tongue-in-cheek description of Wikipediholicism.
- Often caused by Trolls
- Paranoia in Wiki format
- An online community devoted to how online communities work.
- Wiki Science
- Help write the WikiBook on the Science of Wikis
- de:Wikipedia:WikiProjekt Selbstreflexion der Wikipedia
- German Wikipedia project on studying the Wikipedia as a social experiment