Wikivoyage/Manual of style
Our Manual of style contains a collection of guidelines for giving our articles a good look and feel. Good articles should follow these guidelines. The manual of style is broken up into several articles. You can link to an article, when you want to quote a special rule in discussions.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 General structure
- 3 Structure of the articles
- 4 Where can I place my information?
- 5 Formatting style
- 6 Links
- 7 Writing style
- 8 Other topics
- 9 Maps
- 10 See also
Our manual of style hasn't got a beginning and an end. You can start reading everywhere. This article gives you review of all articles. The following section provides a list of some recommended starting points.
Specifications of articles
All articles on Wikivoyage should have a consistent layout. That's why we warmly recommend our Specifications for articles to you.
It's good to know how we divide the world up. The article about the Geographical hierarchy provides this information. Articles that don't fit in our geographical hierarchy are filed into our topic namespace.
What topics get their own article?
Not every topic should have its own article. What is an article is a guideline about creating new articles. Wikipedians should especially read it and note the substantive and important policy differences.
Although Wikivoyage is an internet-project, we want to have our articles printed in the future. You should think about the Neutrality of medium when you write an article.
Wikivoyage is a travel guide not an encyclopedia. We limit our content to information about travelling. According to our experience Wikipedians forget this restriction occasionally.
Wikivoyage isn't a photo gallery. We use Images in articles sparingly.
This section describes the structure of Wikivoyage as a whole.
- What is an article? - What topics should get an own article.
- Article naming conventions - How to name an article.
- Geographical hierarchy .- Our structure
- Romanization - How to map local names in local scripts in the latin characters used in Wikivoyage.
- Disambiguation pages
Structure of the articles
Where can I place my information?
This section describes the layout of the articles. It describes the style, i.e. how we take raw information and put it in a format that's easily usable by travellers.
- Writing style - Fundamental guidelines for writing
- Form of address in articles - Personal pronouns in articles. Avoiding 'I' and 'we', using nore neutral forms.
- Specifications of colors for maps
- Specifications of symbols for maps
- Specifications of lines for maps