This page is soft-redirected from the Wikimedia Foundation wiki. It should be used to ask questions about Fundraising.
- Past discussions may be found in history.
- Don't like the fundraising banner? The English Wikipedia is collecting redesign proposals here.
- List of donations
- Current fund raising totals
- click this link to add a new question.
- 1 Archives
- 2 Donation
- 3 Donation messages are hard to find
- 4 Donations from India
- 5 Donation extension and instructions?
- 6 Oversight?
- 7 Finance and administration 700,000$
- 8 Other languages?
- 9 FAQ
- 10 $’000’s
- 11 Wikimedia being pushy ?
- 12 Tshirts.
- 13 Wikimedia Foundation - doesn't want to host ads - understood. But...
- 14 Tax deductibility in Sweden
- 15 Tax deductabilitiy - UK
- 16 tax deducatble in India
- 17 Tax Deductiability in Canada
- 18 Tax Deductability in Belgium
- 19 Tax Deductability in Spain?
- Before 21 October 2007 (see also history)
- 22 October 2007 — 29 October 2007
- 30 October 2007 — 20 November 2007
- 21 November 2007 — 12 January 2008
Donation messages are hard to find
Why are the text messages that people put for their donations so hard to find? They shouldn't be. Can someone put a link to these messages on the main navigation box, on the left hand side please?
Donations from India
Can somebody tell me why I cannot send a cheque in INR (Indian Rupee) rather than in dollars or any other foreign currency? If yes, then which bank to credit the donations?
Donation extension and instructions?
Is there someone who could share the extension for accepting donations, and documentation on how to install the extension? I would like to be able to accept donations for my own wiki as well. That is a lot better than having banners. Tommy 02:33, 8 February 2008 (UTC)
Please explain what third party auditors you use if any. Also, consider applying for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Federal_Campaign. I think you would find allot of people would give in the government. I for one will commit 10% of my salary (hopefully through CFC) once I feel comfortable as to how my funds will be used (currently that would equate to 7500.00 USD per year donated). I currently only give to charities with over 85% of the funds going directly to the individuals or projects (less than 15% admin/executive salaries). However, with this charity, I could make an exception since so much of the work is manual labor (ie converting English into so many languages) as opposed to the salaries associated with just buying a bunch of food and handing out or something similar. I would like to see posted a third party report on this and the salaries/bonuses of everyone employed (not by name)of Wikipedia being funded through donations. I expect it will take a while for this to shake out. But if I see Wikimedia listed on CFC,.. that would curb some of my worries. This is the best cause I have seen for my contribution if managed right, I think it is potentially the place my money could do the most good for the world.
Also, I for one would not give to Wikipedia if they started including adds on the webpages, especially on the information and CDs given to developing countries. But, if they did that.. they wouldnt really need me to give would they?
- I agree that the en:Combined_Federal_Campaign would be a great way to contribute. 188.8.131.52 02:20, 13 May 2008 (UTC)
Finance and administration 700,000$
Why is so much money (15%, or 700,000$) earmarked for "finance and administration"? To do an audit of a 4.6 m $ budget certainly cannot cost that much? What other items are paid for here, especially since legal, board and executive director costs are not included here? Thanks for answers, 184.108.40.206 13:30, 1 January 2008 (UTC)
- I'm also interesting by this point which make 2 thousands US $ a day. 220.127.116.11 17:25, 3 January 2008 (UTC)
- Some breakdown of both of the large general sections ("office of exec director" and "finance and admin") would be useful, in terms of what they bought us. A qualitative description of what sorts of things make up each section, would probably be almost as good, and easier to produce. FT2 (Talk | email) 12:57, 19 May 2008 (UTC)
- They've been re-added (finally) thanks to some code by seanw. :-) Cbrown1023 talk 21:11, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
I note it reads " * When will the fundraiser end?
January 3, 2008." the date is now past
Is it normal to have a double greengrocer's apostrophe for representing thousands of dollars? Andjam 12:26, 16 May 2008 (UTC)
Wikimedia being pushy ?
I was just browsing the Wikipedia article on New Zealand, and it kept redirecting me to a donation page. Whats up with that?
"Make a donation to Wikipedia and give the gift of knowledge!"
After the redirect, there is no turn around point in which I am brought back to the main article, yet my computer seems to think that I'm still on the main article page. I opened the page source, and this 'redirect' isn't even in there - Not only is it not there, but it says I'm still reading about New Zealand.
Is this some sort of donor-seeking campaign? Or what? -- 18.104.22.168, 2008-05-26t23:49:49z
- It's possible that you saw the page before the blanking vandalism was reverted. When not logged in all pages have a sentence at the top to the left of "Log in / create account" with link to the donation page. -- Jeandré, 2008-05-29t12:27z
Wikimedia Foundation - doesn't want to host ads - understood. But...
With the amount of books, movies, albums etc listed.
Wouldn't it make sense to have a Wiki programming code to search for that product on a commercial site that has commissions for referrals?
It would have to be a WikiCode such as WP:Amazon to prevent folks coming in and changing the referral code to their own. And as such, would require some programming time.
I'm sure this has been discussed, and I'm sure a lot of Wikipedians would support it. Hutch1970 19:43, 8 June 2008 (UTC)
- For a change such as this, the community would have to support it. So, I suggest you bring it up on the mailing lists (either WikiEN-l and Foundation-l) or on the English Wikipedia's Village pump. Cbrown1023 talk 20:36, 8 June 2008 (UTC)
Tax deductibility in Sweden
On the page concerning tax deductibility of donations, the text on sweden is only in english. I thought I'd offer a translation.
"Donations are not tax-deductible in Sweden."
"I Sverige är donationer inte avdragsgilla."
I hope some admin sees this... :)
Tax deductabilitiy - UK
The current situation on UK tax deductability is:
Wiki UK Ltd has applied to be approved as a Wikimedia chapter; chapcom has supported the application and WMF is due to decide during their meeting 9-11 January; we have also applied to the UK Tax authorities to approve tax deductability and they are expected to respond around mid January.
If/when approved, Wikimedia UK will be able to reclaim income tax paid on any donations subject to the appropriate decalarion being made; we will also be able to reclaim tax on donations paid prior to the date of approval.
Would it would be helpful to include this information on this page? AndrewRT 13:44, 24 December 2008 (UTC) (Sec, Wiki UK Ltd - Wiki UK Limited is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United Kingdom.)
- You're looking for Talk:Fundraising 2008, this is for last year's fundraiser. :-) Cbrown1023 talk 18:00, 24 December 2008 (UTC)
tax deducatble in India
are the donations made by Indian Citizens to wiki, tax deducatble in India?
what does it take to start a local wikimedia chapter???? how can one start in country like India where we do not have local chapter of wiki ( as per your list) what r the specifics to start an chpater? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) .
- You're looking for Fundraising 2009/Launch Feedback, this is for last year's fundraiser. :-) --Kaganer 13:14, 16 November 2009 (UTC)
Tax Deductiability in Canada
I am surprised to see that so far there is no Wikimedia chapter in Canada and hence no non-profit status for tax deductions of donations. Has there been any attempts or is this in the works? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) .
- Moved to Talk:Fundraising 2010#Tax Deductiability in Canada. --Kaganer 12:44, 25 November 2010 (UTC)
Tax Deductability in Belgium
If the Wikimedia foundation does its paperwork in Belgium and makes it tax-deductable there I will start donating 30 euros per year, promise! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) .
- Moved to Talk:Fundraising 2010#Tax Deductability in Belgium. --Kaganer 12:44, 25 November 2010 (UTC)
Tax Deductability in Spain?
Any way to get Tax Deductability on donations to Wikimedia Fundation recognized at Spanish Tax Agency? www.aeat.es
Thx and BR,