User talk:Jalexander

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Afrikaans | العربية | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | Հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | مازِرونی | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk bokmål | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | Runa Simi | română | русский | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | tzm  | українська | اردو | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Contents

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello Jalexander, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). If you would like, feel free to ask me questions on my talk page. Happy editing! fr33kman t - c 05:21, 17 August 2010 (UTC)

fr33kman t - c 05:21, 17 August 2010 (UTC)

Congrats on the job.  fetchcomms 01:18, 19 August 2010 (UTC)

Anything Else[edit]

Hi, Jalexander,

Thank you for your invitation to talk in your page.

Sorry about the last phrase on the discussion, but you all have been absent 6 years at least, in Portuguese Wiki. Maybe a minor value to the character would be possible, even a symbolic value (2.100 characters = US$ 5). Believe me, every editor will be happy with any payment. Like you said, "the editors are the projects". About the quantity of editors - I guess is the same in English Wiki - is swelling, by ambition. Many editors change a synonimous to keep voting. This kind of editing means no good, what reforces my thesis: "no sytle editors". We're gonna loose the real style revisors, but we can stop the oportunists. When they're gone, so the payment for editors turns too easier.

Social Media Campaign[edit]

Hi James, thanks for your support. Philippe has been real helpful so far with the idea, he has put me in touch with Denize and offered to locate any further resources if needed. As for the video I was aware of the Inside Wikimedia Videos on commons I think similar videos are already uploaded on youtube [1], I was hoping for something new to go with the campaign- I knew about the Gdansk Wikimania Video mainly because I took part in it and had a bit more idea what they are going to be like. The campaign is going to start with the Fundraiser so its still more than 2 months away, in case the Wikimania Video is unavailable by that time we will use the old clips, we still have a lot of time. I also wanted to update you with our plan we are going to work on a bot to report milestones and links on twitter, and we're going to look into using facebook and some image related content soon after. I will keep Philippe and you updated if you want with any progress and requests. One thing that I did want to look into was if something is already planned for promotion with any large Web 2.0 sites on a corporate level by the foundation, running ads on facebook etc. or any other sort of partnership/promotion related to that medium. How about something really ambitious like a google doodle about wikimedia during the fundraiser....--Theo10011 20:25, 22 August 2010 (UTC)

Of course, glad you are already in touch with Deniz. I know we're very interested in (and looking into) a lot of options especially new ones so any suggestions you have are highly appreciated. Hopefully we'll be able to have another IRC meeting soon but Philippe is going to be too busy most of this week so will probably have to wait a bit. I saw your discussion about the bot which sounds great have you given thoughts to what kind of milestones you want? May be a good idea to talk about that on Talk:Fundraising 2010/Social Media so that we can get some good feedback about it. The more ideas the better. Jalexander 22:15, 22 August 2010 (UTC)

talkback[edit]

You have new messages
Hello, Jalexander. You have new messages at Talk:Fundraising 2010/Social Media.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Admin rights[edit]

Hi James,

I've granted you sysop rights, through January 31, 2011 at which time they will expire, to use for official actions. Bastique ☎ call me! 19:00, 26 August 2010 (UTC)

copied from your userpage[edit]

Il n'est pas dans l'usage de Wikipédia de mettre une adresse de courrier électronique dans sa page utilisateur. Vous risquez divers ennuis, le moindre étant l'avalanche de spam. Mais vous pouvez indiquer cette adresse dans l'onglet "Préférences", et ainsi, les wikipédiens pourront vous joindre par mail en cliquant sur l'option : "Lui envoyer un courriel" de la "Boîte à outils" --Seymour 21:32, 4 September 2010 (UTC)

In a nutshell: "It's not advisable to put your email on your userpage, or you may get heavily spammed. People can email you through Wikipedia if you enable it in your preferences."
Hi Seymour, I think James knows that. If you look at the code he's used to put his email on his userpage, it's got a template {{@}} in it to deter automated spamming. Also, where possible I like to not use Wikipedia to email people, as there's much more flexibility with my own client. sonia 03:56, 5 September 2010 (UTC)
Thanks Sonia and howdy Seymour. Sonia is right but thank you for the concern (I generally agree with you, my normal user page User:Jamesofur does not have my email for that reason). I did place a special template (the  at  template) to make it harder for automated spammers to grab my email but decided to place it (and my other contact methods) on the page to make it easier for people to contact me because of my work with the WMF (including wikimedians without an account). Jalexander 08:18, 5 September 2010 (UTC)

Did you mean this?[edit]

I'm not entirely sure if I fixed this, or if you meant something else altogether, so I'm letting you know. Cheers. sonia 04:01, 10 September 2010 (UTC)

I did in fact mean that thank you :) I was rushing out the door and wanted to get those saved thank you. Jalexander 06:53, 10 September 2010 (UTC)

Wikiquote:ET reference system[edit]

Hello! Would you please add mentioned code in here to here. It should mark the background of references in blue while using them. Thanks in advance!

Best wishes --Kanakukk 19:37, 16 September 2010 (UTC).

Should I use en-wiki talk page instead? --Kanakukk 16:54, 5 October 2010 (UTC).
Sorry for the lack of response Kanakukk. I'm not totally sure which code you want inserted and I'm happy to help if you let me know but it is probably better to contact a Steward or Global sysop. They are elected community members for a lot of cross wiki work and are probably the best person to help you (I would probably just find one of them to do it as well :) ). Jalexander 17:19, 5 October 2010 (UTC)

Sorry for not adding full information about the problem. I would like that someone who has higher access could add mentioned code in here to here. It should mark background of reference in blue. --Kanakukk 16:35, 6 October 2010 (UTC).

DerHexer from IRC helped me, but thanks for your answer! --Kanakukk 21:35, 11 October 2010 (UTC).

Translating the "new banner" button[edit]

Hi,

Can you take a look at Talk:Fundraising 2010/Messages/Inputbox, please? Thanks. --Amir E. Aharoni 12:31, 21 October 2010 (UTC)

Set it up for translation and set up the template for you on the Messages/Languages/he page for now. I'll set up directions for people translating so that it is easier for others as well. Let me know here or on IRC if you have any more questions/problems! :) Jalexander 21:26, 21 October 2010 (UTC)

Translating Fundraising 2010 payments forms[edit]

James, on this page you encouraged me to translate "our payments forms and this years first Jimmy Letter". I have translated Jimmy's Appeal from English into Belarusian — http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Appeal/be

But where can I find Fundraising 2010 payments forms for translation? On the Core messages page I did not notice any core messages, not to say about announcing sentence: These are messages that will be needed for various things.

And by the way do you know why Jimmy Wales states that Wikipedia (along with its sister sites) is the 5th most popular website in the world? According to Alexa statistics, today Wikipedia has the 7th position. --Da voli 13:53, 14 November 2010 (UTC)

Hi Da voli and thank you for your work! If you look at the bottom of the Translation page you will see links to TranslateWiki. This is where the payment forms (and all mediawiki extensions) are translated. The 5th most popular site is based on industry leader comscore's numbers which place Wikimedia Foundation sites as the 5th biggest. Our own internal numbers actually place us higher but comscore is used by most other groups so it is generally a good comparison. Jalexander 21:05, 14 November 2010 (UTC)

WMFJA1[edit]

Could you please change the German text of the other-ways-link in the http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA1/pl for the proper – Polish – as it is here: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Support_Wikipedia/pl. Cheers, --Mikołka 16:37, 14 November 2010 (UTC)

Very sorry about that. I was rushing a bit to try and get that done while I got ready for a flight. It is now fixed thank you for pointing it out!. Jalexander 21:07, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, --Mikołka (talk) 11:29, 15 November 2010 (UTC)
I'm sorry to interrupt you again, I haven't noticed it before. There is a typo in the appeal-title: "WIkipedii" at wmf:WMFJA1/pl --Mikołka (talk) 19:38, 16 November 2010 (UTC)
fixed Jalexander 19:39, 16 November 2010 (UTC)
Thx, --Mikołka (talk) 19:44, 16 November 2010 (UTC)
Also, there is a wrong form of Wales' name. It should be "Jimmy'ego Walesa", not "Jimmy Walesa". Thanks in advance. ToSter 21:10, 16 November 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for updating[edit]

Many thanks for a quick action responded to the mail about Jimmy's fundraising banner. I'm really appreciate it. Regards. --G(x) 10:28, 15 November 2010 (UTC)

Malayalam is ready[edit]

I just saw your edit on ml.wp with summary "not ready". Please chek Fundraising_2010/Core_messages/ml and Fundraising_2010/Appeal/ml, both are ready!! BTW appeal marked 'published' but not available.--Praveen:talk 01:11, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

Hi Praveenp, Sorry it wasn't ready in that it has not been set up live yet. As soon as it goes live I'll do cycles through to change the side bar I just wanted to make sure they weren't going to old or non existent pages first. The 'published' issue is that it has been pulled over in one location but still needs to be verified somewhere else (I think I did it in a batch earlier). I'll try and get it live this evening. Jalexander 01:27, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

float :)--Praveen:talk 01:56, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

arz Wikipedia[edit]

Hi Jale. I saw you edit there w:arz:mediawiki:Sitesupport-url. I was wondering, how to translate the that page, if that was your request. I'm unable to log-in using my user name & see a link to: [2]. Please, notify me at w:arz:user talk:mahmudmasri if you wanted to reply. Thanks. --Mahmudmasri 06:26, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

s:sv:MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url[edit]

I changed you like: this.

It looks to me, likes it works as good as your version. - Do not hesitate to revert me if you find a reason to!

I'm not very happy with a banner about Wikipedia, on a Wikisource-site, but next year we maybe can have a banner about Wikisource on every Wikipedia-site? :) I look forward to that! -- Lavallen 08:00, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

Yáʼátʼééh, Jalexander! Seb az86556 nichʼįʼ haneʼ ánáyiidlaa
Hello, Jalexander - You have an answer from Seb az86556

w:ru:MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url[edit]

You change Sitesupport-url in ru-wiki. Prevouos link change from wmf:Donate/ru to wmf:Global Support/ru (with wmru chapter button) was agreed with Rand Montoya 04.02.2010. In the current fundraising campaign wmf:Global Support/ru replaced by wmf:WMFJA1/RU (not wmf:WMFJA1/ru!). Previous page that was referenced from this message - is wmf:Сделать_пожертвование (aka wmf:Сбор_средств), redirect, which can re-adjust within the WMF site without editing system messages. Russian named urls in system message texts is more useful because they are easier to understand site visitors, when he sees them in a tooltip. If I convinced you that рlease revert changes of w:ru:MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url. Thanks! --Kaganer 12:35, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

Hi Kaganer, I'll talk with Philippe but I'm not sure we want to put the /RU page on there. That would direct everyone to the Russian chapter even though not everyone there is in Russia. We are trying to find a good meathod of doing the geolocation system on that sitenotice but don't know yet. If you'd prefer the language link that can be arranged. Jalexander 23:08, 17 November 2010 (UTC)
If someone goes to wmf:WMFJA1/ru (or /en, etc.) he was no longer able to switch to any chapter's page (even if he knows that somewhere there is one). There is no such button, and there is no such link. I already wrote to Moushira about this. Geolocation technology does not provide absolute accuracy. Maybe do add to wmf:WMFJA1/ru, wmf:WMFJA1/en etc. one small navigation panel, like to "[ Donate to local chapters: Argentina | Australia | ... | Russia | ... ]". This would solve the problem. But the language switch would also be very useful! --Kaganer 04:47, 18 November 2010 (UTC)

w:it:MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url[edit]

Hi James. You set the link to [3] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA1/it but I changed it in [4] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFJA1/IT because the first one is not the real landing page of the fundraising. Please tell me if I did right or wrong. Thanks. --Cotton 13:19, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

Romanian fundraising landing page errors[edit]

Hello, I went to the fundraising landing page, but when I tried to make a donation, nothing happened. I'm getting this JavaScript error in Firebug:

missing } after property list
[Break on this error] 'NTD' : 30 // $0.98\n

and then:

redirectPayment is not defined

scribu msg 16:16, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

Thank you for the note, A bug was accidentally introduced into the system by another user. I believe I fixed it when we found it a couple hours ago and just tested it now. Please let me know if you see any more errors! Jalexander 20:18, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

w:yi:MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url[edit]

You have set this to the English version of the page. The local language version is allegedly "published". Why not link to that? --Redaktor 20:12, 17 November 2010 (UTC)

Aye, sorry for the confusion. The appeal was transfered over to wmfWiki and hence 'published' but the person who did so actually did not set up the landing page (which needs the core messages) and so I was unable to link to it. As soon as it is I will switch those wikis back over to the language page. Jalexander 22:15, 17 November 2010 (UTC)
You have changed it back to the English page. What is going on? --Redaktor 19:23, 4 December 2010 (UTC)
Can you please give James the full URL of the landing page that you reach when you click on the link? If he doesn't have that, he can't really help you. Cbrown1023 talk 21:23, 4 December 2010 (UTC)
this
--Redaktor 13:39, 5 December 2010 (UTC)
Okay, Redaktor and I are both working on fixing this on translators-l right now. So, James, don't worry about it. ;-) Cbrown1023 talk 15:18, 5 December 2010 (UTC)
Now fixed! Thanks. --Redaktor 20:46, 5 December 2010 (UTC)

Hi[edit]

Please explaining me what my cross wiki vandalism is. I can't edit on ARZ wikipedia? In fact all that I do is add links and pictures to Masri Wikipedia.

"أنت ما عندكش الصلاحيات علشان تعديل هذه الصفحة، للأسباب ده:" Isa alcala 01:52, 30 December 2010 (UTC)

Hi Isa, I assume you saw my name as the person who blocked you in the error message? If this is the case it was because of a case of vandalism we had last night against some of our fundraising banners. The target was not you specifically but targeted the ip that the user was editing from (and a very small group of ips around it). Sadly sometimes not everyone has a unique Ip and it looks like you might have been caught in it.
The block is set to expire later tonight but I adjusted it so that you should be able to edit now. If you can't could you please copy the error you get here and I'll try to help you out?
Thanks for letting me know and good luck! Jalexander 02:05, 30 December 2010 (UTC)
It works now! Thanks a lot. I didn't realize there was vandalism towards your banners. Anyways, have a happy new year. Isa alcala 02:14, 30 December 2010 (UTC)
I'm glad you're set now and happy new year! Jalexander 02:20, 30 December 2010 (UTC)

wiki10-Banners for de[edit]

Hi James :)

There has been a problem with the German version of wiki10-banners. A very annoying spelling error was in the message, which took some time to fix: [5]. In the meantime, probably thousands of readers saw this error.

I'm not sure how to fix that problem. I realize that asking the community for approval after translations have been set for "ready" is time-consuming. But since anyone can set the translation to "ready" and errors easily appear… I think it could be worth the effort in major languages (you could ask at Wikipedia embassies or even faster on IRC #wikipedia-XX). --Church of emacs talk · contrib 19:32, 12 January 2011 (UTC)

Re: Steward banners[edit]

Hello Jalexander, if the problem is only in United States (and America continent), so I would suggest disable geotargeting for selected countries. Is it ok for you? Regards, LeinaD (t) 00:16, 16 January 2011 (UTC)

At some point I have no problem with that. My concern is that the number of countries involved (north and south America) is fairly large and doing the manual geolcation could be a bit much.I think it would make more sense to just wait until tonight and do it all at once. If you want to turn it on for Europe or something I am ok with that. 02:14, 16 January 2011 (UTC)

May 2011 Update[edit]

Hi James, Could you please change the centralnotice url for the polish translation (http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/May_2011_Update/pl)? Thanks, --Mikołka (talk) 09:24, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done Jalexander 09:27, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

Translation[edit]

I've made an Indonesian translation for this one. And the link translation is here. I hope you save the link in proper place, because I don't know how to do. Best regard. :) Reindra 09:39, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

Hoo_man beat me to it! Thanks for the help! Jalexander 20:37, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

Template:Identified[edit]

Hi! It seems it doesn't work. You can add parameter name instead (e.g. id-sign). Regards, --Mikołka (talk) 23:18, 15 May 2011 (UTC)


Is it allowed in Wikipedia?[edit]

To keep in the pages of wiki Administrator's personnel thesis? at http://sd.wikipedia.org ? Other problem is We call Computer as same in English, but admin forcibly used his word Ganpukar of Computer. I have proof that thousands of published books called it Computer not Ganpukar. If some one oppose him he started abusive language. That is the reason sd.wikipedia.org never got attraction to Sindhi community. Plz check record there. Other things are he locked CSS due to that on the same site there are lot of font styles appeared there. He is not able to set commonCSS or Monocss. We are in trouble to work in our local Sindhi language. I don't know where to say for this problem. Record history says all the situation there. I appeal plz warn him to follow en.wikipedia.org rules, other wise he will continue use his personnel details and personnel promoted articles there. Dear I am sorry If u r not right person to say all about this, Plz suggest me where I can raise this issue. My sd.wikipedia.org ID is same. His thesis is not a violetion? http://sd.wikipedia.org/wiki/ماحولياتي_انتظام_ڪاڻ_اُپُگِرَهِي_عَڪس_ضماءُ_۽_درجه_بنديءَ_جي_طريقن_جو_اَڀياس Alixafar 00:07, 21 November 2011 (UTC)

MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url at Japanese Wikipedia[edit]

Somebody complained at Japanese Wikipedia's Village pump that he/she cannot figure out how he/she can donate without a credit card. I have to agree that it may be difficult for ordinary Japanese when "Ways to Give" page has not been translated into Japanese. Under the circumstances, I think it is probably better for ja:MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url to be linked to this page, which gives direct link to "銀行振込で寄付" (donate by bank transfer). Given that there are still many people without a credit card and bank transfer is very popular payment method in Japan (we don't really use personal cheques), it may have a sizable impact on the number of donations. What do you think?--Dwy 01:37, 7 January 2012 (UTC)

Translating in French the user page of Sue Gardner[edit]

Hi Jalexander. I'm a sysop on French Wiktionary, where you just created the page wikt:fr:Utilisateur:Sue Gardner. Of course, you were right to do that! My question is

would Sue mind if I translated this page in French for every French-speaking projects ?

I don't ask this question directly to Sue, because I understand she has many more interesting things to handle with, and because I noted that you are the person handling her marketing.

Do you think I should proceed for the translation ? --ArséniureDeGallium 19:10, 12 January 2012 (UTC)

Spelling, grammar, orthography![edit]

"Please note: in fewer than xx hours..." Fifelfoo 01:32, 17 January 2012 (UTC)

I know this has been a bit of a debate her. The reference I've used was http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/less-or-fewer which seems to say it should be less than for expressions of time. Jalexander 01:40, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
Time is uncountable. I spent "less time" on meta.wikimedia than I did on en.wikipedia on Tuesday. Hours are countable. "Four hours is fewer hours than five hours is." Fifelfoo 01:44, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
The reference you quote is rather clear, "Use less when you’re referring to something that can’t be counted or doesn’t have a plural". An hour has a plural (hours), and hours are countable, and therefore take fewer. ::We could also do with the adverb preceding the verb (ie: globally). Fifelfoo 01:45, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
Aye, but it also says to use less for "with expressions of measurement or time, e.g.:" and an example of "Less than two years". Jalexander 01:47, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
It'll sound unusual in en_AU, where "The checkout sign in Woolies that says `15 items or less' is not correct. Where you refer to a number of single items, you need to use `fewer', not `less'. `Less' indicates a smaller amount of a single thing." this explanation makes sense to me. We aren't talking about a singular measurable period of time, we're talking about a plural group of hours slipping away. Fifelfoo 01:54, 17 January 2012 (UTC)

If I may interject here gentlemen, NY times covers this particular topic, if the quantity of time is enumerated then 'less' is the ideal choice, if the reference is to the span or extent of time, 'fewer' is the way to go. Chicago MoS also has a section about it [6]. More references- [7] [8]. Theo10011 02:07, 17 January 2012 (UTC)

I presume it's a typo, but you have the NY Times's advice backwards. The article says that "fewer" is mistaken when referring to an extent of time, and "less" should be used.
David J Wilson 05:56, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
Ah...my reading might have been off in that case, I just wanted to add some references. Regards. Theo10011 01:51, 18 January 2012 (UTC)

Than vs. Then[edit]

Hiya James, aside from the discussion above, I'm pretty sure this banner [9] should read 'less than' and not 'less then'. I believe the decision between than vs. then is an easier one. ;) Theo10011 02:14, 17 January 2012 (UTC)

Yeah that one is totally legit ;) I changed it on the banner we're using live just not that draft one yet. Jalexander 02:17, 17 January 2012 (UTC)

Central notice SOPA protest[edit]

Hi, I'm Simon, an editor from the german Wikipedia. In reference to the SOPA protest, we would like to show a banner at the german Wikipedia. Could you please create a campaign for it. The banner is already created, see here. It should start at 2012/01/17 23:00 UTC and end at 2012/01/18 23:00 UTC. In addition I would be glade if you could take some changes at the german banner. Please replace the text with: Im Kongress der USA wird zurzeit der Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) diskutiert. Um die Folgen des SOPA zu veranschaulichen, ist die englischsprachige Wikipedia am 18. Januar geschlossen. Der SOPA sieht zur Bekämpfung angeblicher Urheberrechtsverletzungen im Internet auf Verdachtsgrundlage sowohl Netzsperren als auch weitreichende wirtschaftliche Sanktionen gegen Internetseiten und ihre Betreiber vor. SOPA würde Bedingungen schaffen, unter denen die Wikipedia ihren Betrieb nicht aufrecht erhalten könnte.. Please remove the Close-Button and the linktext and add a learn more button with the text Mehr erfahren. Thank you very much for your help. --Simon.hess 19:43, 17 January 2012 (UTC)

Hey Simon, I noticed that vvv set up the campaign and Church of emacs was making some changes to the banner. He's probably the best person to make language changes since he understands the language better. If you or he needs help though please let me know! Jalexander 20:56, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for your support. I'll contact Church of emacs because of the text. --Simon.hess 21:17, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
Hi Jalexander. Philippe has seemed offline, so can you make this request to help us, please? User talk:Philippe (WMF)#CentralNotice_SOPA_on_Vietnamese_Wikipedia. Thank you very much. --minhhuy (talk) (WMF) 02:49, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
Aye, he gave me a poke and I've created the banner and campaign for you. It's being checked over right now and then will be enabled. Right now it's set to start and stop showing at the same time as the enWiki banner. You can see an example of how it will look on viWiki by going to https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?banner=vi_SOPA. Jalexander 02:53, 18 January 2012 (UTC)
Thank you again :). --minhhuy (talk) (WMF) 03:02, 18 January 2012 (UTC)

Re: CentralNotice for WMPL[edit]

Hi James,
thanks for your offer! If that's what the statistics tell us, I would love to have the banners on the English Wikipedia, too! Can you tell me what would this require from me? Do you want us to change the current campaign to be geolocalised to Poland only (and visible on all projects) or to geolocalise the banners to Poland (and be visible on Polish projects only) and create an English translation to be visible for Polish users on the English Wikipedia? Thanks! odder (talk) 12:19, 20 January 2012 (UTC)

Hey odder, I definitely think we want to geolocate but we can adjust the other pieces depending on what you want. The easiest way is just to geolocate the main campaigns and put in a translation for English. This has a side effect of the 'default' language being English because of how CentralNotice is implemented (pl projects would obviously still see Polish) if we want the default to be polish then we will want 2 campaigns 1 for English and 1 for projects other then English. Jalexander 19:56, 20 January 2012 (UTC)

Your user page[edit]

Hi James, I made a few minor tweaks to your user page. I hope you don't mind! The Helpful One 00:29, 7 March 2012 (UTC)

Perfectly fine :) I actually substituted the @ templates purposely to make my life easier later if I transferred over to a wiki without it but here it works fine and I'll just expand templates before I do that. Jalexander (talk) 00:51, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
If you do have to transfer it to another wiki, you'd need to also create Template:Staff info, which is called Template:User info on the Foundation wiki. The latter is the one that is actively being tweaked and worked on - so you'll need to bear that in mind if you want to use it elsewhere (keeping it up to date etc across multiple wikis may be a pain so you might want to wait until the tweaking stops). The Helpful One 00:58, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
aye aye, I would expand the whole thing if I posted cross wiki (beyond just a handful of big ones) because importing it on all of them would be counter productive. With the expansion I can do it with some bot assistance. I don't worry about all wikis being perfectly up to date but will wait a bit longer for the tweaks. Jalexander (talk) 01:01, 7 March 2012 (UTC)

Email[edit]

Hi James, I sent you one week ago (9.3.) an email (from user Chmee2) to your foundation email. Did you received or it was lost by spam filters? Just want to know, if you got the message ot not :) Best regards --Chmee2 (talk) 10:37, 16 March 2012 (UTC)

Hey Chemee2! Sorry for the slow response I did in fact get it (it got lost for a day or two but then I found it). The short answer is we would be happy to get you a couple prizes. I'll sort some stuff together and send you an email by tonight! Jalexander (talk) 21:28, 16 March 2012 (UTC)
 :) So, how does it look? Did my spam-list eat your email or you were busy? :) --Chmee2 (talk) 21:05, 26 March 2012 (UTC)
.... so sorry, sent you email ;) order is in process Jalexander (talk) 01:40, 27 March 2012 (UTC)

Think Free[edit]

Hello Jalexander, could you take a look at Think Free and its talk page? I wasn't sure if those redirects should be deleted or not. Mathonius (talk) 21:17, 16 March 2012 (UTC)

TOU banner[edit]

Hi Jalexander, could you take a look at Meta:Babel#TOU banner? Thanks. Bencmq (talk) 08:19, 4 May 2012 (UTC)

WikiCon Banner[edit]

Hi James, do you please remember to activate anonymous banner views for http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&method=listNoticeDetail&notice=WikiCon+2012+Registration? We had agreed on that it will run on Friday / Saturday for anonymous users. Friday is almost over now and I wanted to get the views from people at work - too late now already, unfortunately :-( --84.174.241.216 16:24, 8 June 2012 (UTC)

OUCH, sorry it's on now. We can leave it a bit longer if you need to for this (or make sure to have it on a bit during work at the start of the next run as well if you don't get enough. Jalexander (talk) 16:39, 8 June 2012 (UTC)
Ok, I thank you a lot! --84.174.241.216 17:02, 8 June 2012 (UTC)

Turkish Wikinews[edit]

Wikipedia shop[edit]

Hi! I'm an admin at English Wiktionary. I'm interested in trying to push more readers to the shop by adding a 'Wiktionary shop' link on the sidebar. For that to happen, though, there needs to be Wiktionary merchandise (if you're curious, we use the verb "edit"). Is it possible to add a few things (maybe a couple t-shirts and a water bottle) with Wiktionary on it? Please respond at my talkpage, here or at en.wikt. Thanks so much! Metaknowledge (talk) 00:38, 9 August 2012 (UTC)

CentralNotice for South Africa[edit]

Hi! As for the Afrikaans text, that was because it included the phrase "Wiki Loves Monuments bekendstelling" two times (see diff). And by the way, could you please explaing your revert in the English text here? The name of the competition is "Wiki Loves Monuments", not "WikiLovesMonuments"... odder (talk) 12:46, 26 August 2012 (UTC)

Thanks on Afrikaans, that makes sense. The revert was because it looks like I was removing the url from the interface at the same time that you were removing it via MediaWiki space. It appears that the Original included 'WikiLovesMonuments". I had copied from that and hadn't looked at it closely enough to notice yet. I just put the spaces back in sorry about that. Did you mean to remove the 'fellow' from the start? It appears that if we edit from Mediawiki space it doesn't get logged in the CN log so we should try to do it through the interface if posible though we still obviously can't do everything (I had to go in there to do a massive revert earlier when I screwed up). Going to put a bug in for that... Jalexander (talk) 12:54, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Looking good with the new text, it wraps well. FYI I also through in some css to expand the link to the whole banner (so that they can click anywhere instead of just the text). If we want the text to only underline when someone hovers over IT rather then the banner we can do that as well if people like it better. Jalexander (talk) 12:56, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Hi Jalexander, thanks for the comments; the banner looks OK for me now, too. And I'm all in for adding an underline while hovering over the text (so people could see it's a link -- this seems to be the usual behaviour in many browsers, so people are used to it). Thanks, odder (talk) 13:19, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Thanks, and have a good night! (It's afternoon here in Europe.) :-)) odder (talk) 13:28, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Hi again, James. I've just seen you enabled the campaign for languages for which there are no translations available yet (nso, st, tn, ts, ve, xh, zu). Earlier this week, I've been specifically told *not* to do that (with regards to the WLM campaigns to be). Could you please clarify what's the usual solution here? Thanks, odder (talk) 23:31, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Ahh, no worries. I'm fine either way and feel free to remove if you'd like, I did it just added the languages because I remembered them asking about it in the original request from MADe. While I tend to be strongly against using non translated materials if at all possible my personal feeling is that for smaller language communities I'm 'ok' with it being another 'generally understood' language or something like that because it allows the smaller community to see it and is sometimes the only (or at least fastest) way to have some one volunteer to translate it which can be tough otherwise. The request seemed reasonable given that these languages were smaller languages generally spoken in the region and I trusted that they knew that English would be better to show then say Afrikaans. That said, I have no strong feelings on this one so if the community has decided on a standard for WLM I'm happy to bow towards that. Jalexander (talk) 23:46, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Ah, well, I don't mind having that either, especially in South Africa, where English is an official language and - as I understand - is spoken by a great majority of the population. The WLM standard is a totally different situation: with over 30 countries participating (though you could say it's only 30 out of the 200 or so existing ones), it wouldn't make much sense to have the banners enabled in languages that are not spoken there. I'll leave the banners as they are -- Maarten responded to my message saying that they'll provide me with translations as soon as possible. Thanks, odder (talk) 00:01, 27 August 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia Travel Guide: Naming poll open[edit]

Hi there,

You are receiving this message because you edited the initial naming straw poll for the Wikimedia Travel Guide.

The proposed naming poll is now open and you can vote for as many of the proposed names as you wish, if you are eligible. Please see Travel Guide/Naming Process for full details on voting eligibility and how the final name will be selected. Voting will last for 14 days, and will terminate on 16 October at 06:59:59 UTC.

Thanks, Thehelpfulone 21:28, 2 October 2012 (UTC)

Notice[edit]

Please see this. --Elitre (talk) 17:06, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Fixed, thank you! Jalexander (talk) 17:17, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

Reddit User Dwev[edit]

Hi James,

Just following up on the reddit comment regarding merch for the logos I designed. They are the Wikimedia Foundation logo and the WikiQuote logo. The WMF was actually the design that dictated some of the brand standards, and inspired many of the other logos that exist today. Some of the history on my user page here.

Let me know what you need, and thanks!

Guy

Thanks! Yeah I definitely want to send you some stuff, if you could shoot me an email at jalexander at wikimedia.org with the address that would be best (and your shirt size) I'll get a package together :) Jalexander (talk) 18:28, 23 October 2012 (UTC)

Re: Site notice for Women's workshop in Mumbai[edit]

Hi, some volunteers here are concerned about putting down the banner which well make people feel that event is no more happening on Sunday. SO, can you please put that again in India, and that we would put a notice that registrations is done. Putting up site notice is just to make people aware all details including the venue details, before they come to the venue. Apologies :) -- ♪Karthik♫ ♪Nadar♫ 08:39, 1 November 2012 (UTC)

Staff accounts on it.wiki[edit]

Hi, I have seen that you took care about the Staff user accounts on it.wiki, so maybe I can ask you (or you can forward) my question: given that staff members introduce themselves with their official roles, and given that readers could misunderstand their effective relationship with the local project's contents, I believe it would be better to protect their user talk pages, so that users can contact them where they indicated. Better to avoid, in legal terms, that a local lawyer believes he has written to WMF by leaving a message in a user talk page which could remain unread. So, is there any template we can translate and use for these user talk pages? Are there any other habits or procedures or whatever we should be aware of for these accounts? Many thanks in advance for your help :-) --g (talk) 01:33, 6 December 2012 (UTC)

You've got messages[edit]

Please see Talk:Wikimedia merchandise. --Pine 09:01, 21 December 2012 (UTC)

Updating PlanetWiki[edit]

Hi, I have seen that you were the last person who updated the Planet agregator and there are many requests pending right now. Could you go and see if you can update it soon or could you point out to me a person who could do it. Thank you very much, Letartean (talk) 16:19, 21 December 2012 (UTC)

Wikimedia Planet[edit]

Dear friend, I have just added my entry into the list of Wikimedia Planet requests. But it is not just me, I see there are other unsolved entries since late August, which doesn't sound too good. Can You please do something with it (even if You refuse to add my ;-) ? Thanks and a happy new year! Okino (talk) 09:48, 28 December 2012 (UTC)

Please set sysop flag for me on test wiki[edit]

Hi James, are you still here tonight? Please set sysop (admin) flag for my user on test wiki: https://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rogerhc. Per our discussion on Talk:Wikivoyage_2013/CentralNotice#Banner, I would like to create and test run some quick mock ups of Wikivoyage 2013/CentralNotice banners on test.wikipedia.org in preparation for the January 15-17 run of that central notice. Thanks! --Rogerhc (talk) 03:31, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

Yes check.svg Done as volunteer :) Jamesofur (talk) 03:45, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
That was quick. Thanks. --Rogerhc (talk) 03:48, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
James, what is the url to test view a central notice?
To test this: WikivoyageMockUp3b
I tried this: https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&banner=WikivoyageMockUp3b
but no banner showed up. --Rogerhc (talk) 21:53, 11 January 2013 (UTC)
Fixed. Was the "hide banner" cookie you warned me about. Deleted all cookies and now banner appears. --Rogerhc (talk) 03:24, 12 January 2013 (UTC)
My favorite so far is https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&banner=WikivoyageMockUp3b. I'm intentionally hiding part of the logo outside the frame of the div to be coy. Does it work? --Rogerhc (talk) 05:14, 12 January 2013 (UTC)
Sorry.. I had a response about the cookie all written up this morning and somehow it failed miserably to get saved :( . I like the banner overall, I think the offset logo works well though we may want to ask some people who don't know it as well since I certainly "know what it is" . Only comment about the text is that I would probably put a line break in before Join (after the dash), it flows better and will stop it from wrapping kinda weirdly on some smaller screens. Jalexander (talk) 09:36, 12 January 2013 (UTC)
Probably time for me to pass the CentralNotice work over to you soon. I would be happy to see any of the designs I created on test wiki used, or something else if it's better.
Line wrapping, I designed it to wrap gracefully and tested that by dragging my browser window to narrow widths. Seems to work right to me. Many (most?) people will view it on a screen that shows it as one line. So no need to wrap it for them; a one liner is less obtrusive which may make the notice less obnoxious to that (majority?) set of users. Or maybe not. Maybe two lines would be fine. I'll do mock ups so we can look at it in context. Also, here's an idea: I believe I can put everything after the dash into a no-wrap span so that the wrapping will happen to that whole phrase at once if at all and not just to one word at a time. This would prevent wrapping just one or two words which is perhaps what you mean by "weird wrapping". I'll give that a try now on test wiki.... that was short lived. I see that making everything after the dash no-wrap would cause problems with really narrow windows. I'd rather not do that. Maybe we could "no-wrap" the phrase "that anyone can edit" instead. That would avaid single wards wrapping but not force a too long phrase into no-wrap. But maybe two lines, now that I look at it, is not obnoxious and may be better to design in even for wide windows. I'll go ahead and work up some mock ups. --Rogerhc (talk) 20:34, 12 January 2013 (UTC)

<------------------------------

Actually, I don't want to try to split the translated texts mid phrase because I'd probably do it wrong (But wait, that is okay, it is only line wrapping). Maybe keep it simple and put a <br/> instead of a dash (a dash is awkward at end of line) and capitalize the first letter of both lines. This is signage, not prose. So no periods. --Rogerhc (talk) 21:01, 12 January 2013 (UTC)

I asked my niece, who is savvy, and she feels the logo needs at least one of the arrows showing. She and I like this one. What do you think? (I created at place to voice opinions here) --Rogerhc (talk) 05:15, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
I'm not sold on the 'no period' thing ;) Our convention has tended to be sentence case and so a period at the end is important, I've been CRUCIFIED by community members for it before ;) especially on WP but really everywhere. As encylopedists, dictionary-writers, journalists, authors etc they all get very picky about grammer, you should have seen the complaints about the very simple SOPA banner where they didn't like what I wrote originally. I am torn on the 'emerging' globe mark, I kinda like the idea but have had a couple people comment that they don't really get it (and just think it's a bug) , I'll leave that decision up to you though because I think it's your banner not mine :). I have to set up some banners for my shop stuff tomorrow and will set up yours here on meta at the same time if that's ok with you. Jalexander (talk) 07:39, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
(Talk page stalker) - I'm going to strongly, strongly +1 James on the period thing, and ask that you trust us on this. You can't run that banner without periods, I'm sorry. You would be crucified and peoples' first impression of the project would be negative. I get your point, but on this one, I'm going to have to ask that you trust us. Philippe (WMF) (talk) 07:40, 13 January 2013 (UTC)
If periods are wanted, someone else will have to put them in. My fingers can't do it. But I won't look if someone else does. Also, regarding "in" and "that", Philippe and James, could your run this by your buddies and see which you and they prefer?:
Join us creating a travel guide anyone can edit
or
Join us in creating a travel guide that anyone can edit
I'm ready to hand this off to you now James. It is not my banner. Please use your judgment freely. I'm just helping to see it off to a good start. I hope the mock ups are helpful. I have only tested them in Firefox 18.0 on Linux. I recommend testing whatever banner you go with on various computers and browsers. Most of the positioning CSS is frankly over my head and I don't know how or where it might fail. Thx --Rogerhc (talk) 18:12, 13 January 2013 (UTC)

Email[edit]

James, I'm waiting to hear back from you about an email from Tuesday. Please check your inbox. --Pine 18:10, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

Wikivoyage launch central notice[edit]

Hi James, thanks for setting up the Wikivoyage launch central banner notice on Meta. I don't know how it all works and I'm not an admin anyway. So I can't edit it now. But to verify things, I clicked on the Preview all available translations of banner link on that banner's page and saw that many URLs, including the en URL, are set to: //www.wikivoyage.org (Wikivoyage portal). That is not what we want because most people may not go any farther than one click and thus never see the site itself if we send them to the portal. So we want the URL to be //en.wikivoyage.org for _all translations_ except only the 8 non-English versions of Wikivoyage (de, es, fr, it, nl, pt, ru, sv) which could link to their respective version. The biggest number of banner impressions will be on en.Wikipedia of course. Could you take care of setting the URLs to //en.wikivoyage.org, especially for en please? Thanks! --Rogerhc (talk) 05:16, 15 January 2013 (UTC)

I actually did it this way because the translations were inconsistent in which one to use (many had wikivoyage.org) and LtPowers sent an email to the mailing list about it being 'very important' that everything, from all languages, go to the portal page. Was there a discussion anywhere? It can obviously be changed just don't want to step into a controversy. I'm heading home now from the office but will be back soonish and will check in and also other meta admins can adjust it as well. Thanks for all of your work on this! Jalexander (talk) 05:25, 15 January 2013 (UTC)

German Wikivoyage launch central notice[edit]

Hi Jalexander, there is a typographic error and the formal form is used in the German version of the Wikivoyage launch central notice. Can you please change text2 as follows: "den freien Reiseführer, an dem jeder mitschreiben kann. Mach mit!". Thank you very much for your help. --Simon.hess (talk) 12:54, 15 January 2013 (UTC)

I updated the text also here: Wikivoyage_2013/CentralNotice#German --Simon.hess (talk) 12:59, 15 January 2013 (UTC)

Never mind, another admin already updated the banner. --Simon.hess (talk) 16:32, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
Perfect, glad it got done quicker then I could, thanks for the notice! Jamesofur (talk) 22:33, 15 January 2013 (UTC)

Planet Wikimedia[edit]

Hi. You seem to have ignored two requests above, but somehow I doubt I'll be ignored. ;-) What's up with Planet Wikimedia? It looks like there's a growing queue. Is this something you are working on? Something you were working on? Something that a volunteer could work on? I'm more than happy to help (or find help), just let me know. Thank you, James. --MZMcBride (talk) 22:54, 18 January 2013 (UTC)

If I ignore requests it's usually because I forget about them or because I responded off wiki :) I never have an issue with people poking again (I say the same thing about my email, If I haven't responded in a day or two it's very likely it's gotten buried) . I have an email thread about this right now trying to figure out what to do, the reason that nothing has been happening is that we ended up getting stuck in between versions of Planet that Mutante/Daniel Zahn has been trying to upgrade. They locked off the SVN repository (where the old version had it's config) but haven't fully switched to the new software (run from a git repository) . This was done because the software was supposed to get switched but we ran into problems and it never happened. I've tried to get the old SVN repository unlocked a couple times but have so far been unsuccessful.
I'm hopeful that Mutante will be able to get the upgrade through next week but have asked him what he thinks the chances are of that (and Andre is helping me push it as well now). If we can't the only option I can really think of for now is reverting back to the old SVN repositories that run the system up now and getting them unlocked. Both software options seem to have some good bugs that cause issues (with either display or feeds getting stuck) but I know people have been wanting to get stuff updated for a while and they should not have to be waiting 'until some indeterminate time' that we fix things. Jalexander (talk) 01:33, 19 January 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for the detailed reply. It was very helpful. Do you know if there's a relevant entry in Bugzilla tracking this issue? If not, could you please file a bug? (Or I can, if you'd prefer, just let me know.) I find Bugzilla bugs make it much easier to track issues like this. --MZMcBride (talk) 09:41, 19 January 2013 (UTC)
Sorry for the delay, as far as I can tell there was not a bugzilla ticket... which is odd (I Know Daniel was tracking it in RT but that's slightly unhelpful for your visibility). That said I've been told it's been done now, there are bound to be a bunch of bugs so hopefully we can attack it, find them and fix them but I'm going to proces the additions now. Jalexander (talk) 22:11, 24 January 2013 (UTC)

Re: WMPL 1% campaign[edit]

Hi Jalexander,

sorry for my late response, yesterday I had busy day on conference organised by Polish Government about Open Access.

Re#1: No, the campaign is still on air (as I wrote in CN calendar), but we have a break. As we explained Founadtion before we signed the agreement, in Poland we have a few periods of '1% tax deducting' - to the end of January was the deadline for small firms, in the mid of March will be deadline for bigger firms, and by the all time (to the end of April) individual tax payers are obligated to file a tax return. PS. I left campaign on the "enabled" mode because I do not want to lose this campaign (last year someone removed and I had to create again) but if "enabled" is some problem from technical side, please disable.

Re#2: To be honest - I never thought about it. Personally I'm not sure that Poles will pay attention to the English banners, but on advice from WMPL Board I will try - I will set a trial campaign to see the results. Thank for advice! :-)

Regards, LeinaD (t) 14:17, 14 February 2013 (UTC)

Planet[edit]

Hi Jalexander,
maybe you can have a look at Planet_Wikimedia#Requests_for_inclusion and include my blog and another one waiting there for inclusion to the planet? This would be very helpful, best regrads -- Achim Raschka (talk) 10:34, 15 February 2013 (UTC)

Translation administrator flag[edit]

Hello, I see that you have translation administrator flag but you almost never used it (less than ten actions in about a year); if I'm mistaken, forgive me and consider the rest of the message for what it's worth. The current wording of the policy says «add (and remove) themselves to the group if they are willing to help other users or need it», and you're in Staff group, so you can add it to yourself at any time; but you may consider removing it for now. This would also help users willing to contact translation admins, making it easier. While I'm at it: please watchlist Meta:Babylon if you have not yet. Thanks, Nemo 11:32, 31 March 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the reminder Nemo, I had almost forgotten I had the flag on. I'm actually happy with either having it on or off (especially since I can put it back on obviously). If we want to use it as a flag for people who are willing to answer questions then I'm happy to leave it on, I generally use it most for Central Notice related work but have used it both as an admin and as a user and would be more then happy to help others. If you don't think that it would be very helpful for that let me know, I'm happy to remove it as well.
I actually have a feeling I'll use it a bit more as time goes on because I know that the FR team is working to integrate it into the Central Notice system directly. I've done a fair bit of 'copy paste' message loading which obviously doesn't need any special translation rights but the new system likely will (and I checked, I did have Babylon watchlisted, thanks). Jalexander (talk) 09:04, 2 April 2013 (UTC)

Your edit on frwiki[edit]

Hi,

Just to let you know that I fixed the w:fr:Template:User info on frwiki, so that fr:Utilisateur:Mpaulson's profile now appears as it should. Maybe you should consider adding a the relevant babel templates in her profile, since she does not seem to speak the local language. feel to contact me on my home wiki at w:fr:Discussion utilisateur:Bouchecl if you need further assistance. Have a nice weekend. Bouchecl (talk) 05:05, 6 April 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the help Bouchecl, it looks much better. I've added the babel templates on her page and will leave a message on yours as well in case you don't check her. Jalexander (talk) 01:40, 7 April 2013 (UTC)

Transparent WIKIMEDIA badge[edit]

Continued from User_talk:Philippe_(WMF)#Transparent_WIKIMEDIA_badge

It will be swell to have an SVG or other source file for the Wikimedia-button-for-homepage.png if you find it. However, I made do with that and pixel by pixel editing for now (transparent background with white around the text: Wikimedia-button-transparent.png). It is not perfect but readable and looks okay to me on Www.wikivoyage.org template/temp v8 (to see it, click "Preview HTML" via drop down arrow next to page top Medaiwiki Search box on that page). If we have a branding issue that needs attention, please let me know. Thanks, --Rogerhc (talk) 18:55, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

Hey Roger, sorry for the delay, we've been poking around and honestly can't find an svg copy... i'm not completely sure one exists since it's been used in such a 'standard' way for so long I'm not sure anyone made a more flexible format (or at least made it very available). Jay can't even think about when he would have seen it since he started (almost 6 years ago now). I looked at the button you made now and that's probably workable (I'm going to run it by Jay) but he wanted me to let you know that he's pretty comfortable with you branching out as well. If you wanted to try something different for example the logo, which we have as SVG in a couple formats, and just plain text along the bottom of the page (or under the photo credit/TOS section) or something else breaking out of the 'button' format. He'd actually almost prefer A Wikimedia Foundation project (to be more specific since 'Wikimedia" is go generic ) but obviously that's a bit different then the norm. Jalexander (talk) 23:14, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Wikivoyage test wikis[edit]

James, I opened a request for a Wikivoyage test wiki at wmflabs. However, because wmflabs is a very quiet place I'm no sure anyone will notice my request. I want to see if I can get mw:Extension:UniversalLanguageSelector installed and configured to serve as a way for Wikivoyagers to switch between the 13 language versions of Wikivoyage. Are you aware of any wiki's that are using that extension in that way? I'm not sure it will be easy to get it to do this, but I'd like to give it a try in a test space. Thus my request on wmflabs.org for Wikivoyage test wikis. Do you know who I could ping to get that request looked at? Thanks! --Rogerhc (talk) 04:51, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Hey Roger, Sumanah is probably the one who can help shepherd it along the fastest and knows the logistics of getting the extensions pushed out etc. I'll give her a ping and see if she can help. I haven't played much with that specific extension but I'm always a fan of trying something out (and that's what labs is for) and seeing if it is better then the interwiki links etc. While you're working on it (or before) you may want to reach out to User:Santhosh.thottingal as well who is the extension creator and (now, I don't think then) works for us in internationalization as well. He obviously has a deep understanding of how it all works together. Jalexander (talk) 23:29, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Censorship of Office Hours transcript[edit]

Could you explain this, if you have the information behind it? - 2001:558:1400:10:B5EB:9417:83C0:16AC 19:28, 10 April 2013 (UTC)

Urgent CentralNotice issue[edit]

You have new messages
Hello, Jalexander. You have new messages at Meta:Requests_for_help_from_a_sysop_or_bureaucrat.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Thanks! -- MarcoAurelio (talk) 14:35, 30 April 2013 (UTC)

Hi Jalexander! Could I ask you to turn off the Wiki Loves Public Art CentralNotice on the Hebrew Wikipedia? They don't want it active. Best John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 18:00, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
Done! Jalexander (talk) 18:04, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
Hi again, we discussed it some more and it seem like there is no objection to have it on for a week. Could you activate it again? Thanks! John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 13:29, 6 May 2013 (UTC)
Hi James! Did you have time to activate it? Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:33, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done, I'll repeat my suggestion on the other page that you think about not extending it more then another week (or even less). A month is a very long time and you quickly get to a point where you are annoying more people then you're helping or getting. There are very few banners that need to be up that long (as an example, the new fundraiser banners only show to you a couple times then try to never show to you again, because they found out that almost everyone clicked early and never late). Jalexander (talk) 21:38, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
Thank you for helping out!
This is the first time that we are organizing this contest and we believe it to be central that as many people as possible see this. From earlier discussions there have been a strong support to have it up for the entire time, with a change of the text in the middle of the month. (Of course the teams all have a close eye on their communities' reactions and discussions about this!)
That said, perhaps it would make sense to modify the time frame that the CentralNotice is up for logged in users though (but keep it on for anonymous user the entire time). I will ask what the teams' think and I will get back to you asap about what we would like to be done. Please don't change anything beforehand. Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 22:41, 9 May 2013 (UTC)
Hmm, I'd actually say that's completely the opposite, if anything anonymous users should be turned off WAY before logged in users. They didn't have any say in whether they were getting banners, only the logged in users did I assume, and they are much less 'likely' to want to participate as a percentage of the whole than logged in users who we know. Where did the discussions having strong support? What is on the local wikis? If you have a local wiki mandate I'm more ok with the logged in banners running for the longer period. I know that this is the first time but, believe me, the evidence has shown that the there are incredibly shrinking returns on investment here and showing it to tens of millions of people for a tiny fraction of a percentage response rate is not a very good return on investment (with the investment being 'good will' generally because every person who gets annoyed about it hurts us at some level). Jalexander (talk) 05:21, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
Dear James,
A central goal for us when organizing a contest such as this has been to attract new contributors to Commons by showing that we need and want their help. Hence, turning of CN for anonymous users would not be in line with this goal at all. Just showing them that we want their help has a value in itself IMHO (and I know this has been discussed a lot during the fundraiser as well).
Also, for the logged in users I think it's important to point out that the WLPA CentralNotice has had a low weight compared to the WMF CentralNotices, reducing the amount of people seeing WLPA's CentralNotice (even though some of WMF's CentralNotices were added last minute...).
Sorry if I was unclear, I was talking about the organizing teams, consisting of volunteers in the different countries/communities, and that they have shown a strong interest and support for activating CN during the span of the contest. They know their Communities and countries better than us so I trust their judgement. Also, I have not seen this type of discussions about WLM and the use of the banners during the entire month for that contest (a case which I think is much more suitable to compare to than the fundraiser). Why would WLPA be treated differently? (After all, even though it is obviously much smaller the banners are geolocated to the participating countries.) Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:13, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
FYI: I have emailed the participating teams/countries and asked what they think should be done. John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 09:16, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, I should be clear that I don't think that is good for ANY group and am not singling you out. The fact that they did it does not make it right or good for you too. We have abused CN too much and are over using it, it's a giant cudgel that we over use to try and get tiny amounts. I'll comment more on that as I get a chance but more importantly: I have turned off Hebrew and Israel completely. The wiki loves israel website has been compromised and is serving up js scripts files from multiple websites known to distribute malware. I would ask that you also get the other teams to remove that link from all other WLPA sites. I'll send this as an email to you as well. Jalexander (talk) 22:30, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
I am not taking this personal or anything. However, I do not agree that having the CentralNotice up would not be worth it and that keeping the CN up would have a low value. I am basing my opinion on the data from the WLM 2012 survey, which shows that more than half of participants were not active users before and that most of them discovered the contest through the sitenotice.
As the WLM contest is one of the most successful event we have to get new participants, and that the CentralNotice was central to the success, I really do think it is worth taking into consideration. Comparing a contest with the fundraiser is IMHO like comparing apples with oranges. Donating is something you do instantly when you see a banner, then you move on. While for a photo contest you have to get a reminder more often so that you remember to bring the camera when leaving the house.
As the CentralNotice has not been on for non-logged-in users from the start of the contest the banner would in fact only be on for two weeks for them! I.e. half the time we requested, two weeks cannot be seen as very long.
Can you point me to any discussions where the WLM banner and the time that it should be up has been discussed previously (and where the consensus is that monthly long contests should only have it activated for part of the time)? Or has this been decided off-wiki?
If the time does get cut then we would definitely want the CentralNotice to be displayed during the last week so as to remind people to upload their photos! Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 15:15, 17 May 2013 (UTC)

FYI: I was asked to enable showing the banner to anonymous users on my talk page and I have checked the box. (Hmm, lots of colons to indent. We need Flow!) PiRSquared17 (talk) 22:35, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

Ugh, thanks for the note. That makes the compromise even more frustrating since more people saw it :-/. Hopefully we can limit this anonymous views as much as possible to a week or so. We don't need much longer then that and I don't see an overwhelming reason to. Jalexander (talk) 22:37, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
It was compromised when I enabled it?! Now I feel guilty. Is it still in LinkSearch anywhere? Is the domain name in any MediaWiki messages? PiRSquared17 (talk) 22:45, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
It looks like you actually snuck in just in time lol, about 3 minutes after I disabled Israel ;). I know it's on other WLPA sites (and probably some of the on wiki pages about it), I haven't tried linksearch yet but that's a good idea. Jalexander (talk) 22:48, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Maybe disabling the banner temporarily is the best solution. Reader security is much more important than publicity of this for a few hours while we clean up. PiRSquared17 (talk) 22:50, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Here's what I found - [10][11][12][13][14][15]. There are still some on he: Special:LinkSearch/wikilovesisrael.com, please fix. Busy. PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:04, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Did two more on hewiki. Maybe check this. I assume WMF people have better ways of doing this though. ;) PiRSquared17 (talk) 23:07, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Sure, that sounds reasonable. I have informed the teams and removed the link on the international website and the Swedish one, Austria has also removed it. As far as I can see Catalonia doesn't have any links on their page. So it seem like only Finland still has a link up. Best, John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 23:17, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks PiR I've searched through as much as I can find on our end and removed a couple from enWIki, i think we have them at the moment ... Jalexander (talk) 23:19, 16 May 2013 (UTC)
Wonderful! Thank you :). John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 23:35, 16 May 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the giveaways (and everything else)[edit]

Hello again, James. I have been meaning to thank you for the en:WP:GIVEAWAY program ever since last October. Sorry for taking so long. I think it's a great way to show appreciation to our dedicated volunteers. And I also hope the community appreciates this type of support from the WMF and that it helps curtail some of the trying comments the community aims at the WMF. I see the community grumbling at the WMF and it pains me greatly that they don't truly appreciate all the work you folks do. As an IP, I also understand how the community can be a bit gruff and I sure hope that a few kind words like this will make up for some of the things you guys and gals have to put up with. From my perspective, the people at the WMF have been busting their behinds trying to keep things running and make them better for everybody. I certainly appreciate all the work you guys/gals do. And I notice the huge amount of hours you put in. It's difficult work, so I certainly hope you are getting some measure of satisfaction knowing that your helping educate and inform millions of people around the world. I think it's a great endeavor and I'm very thankful that you and the others are putting in so much effort to help make things better. Thanks for your dedication. I certainly appreciate it and I expect many others do as well. 64.40.54.63 01:48, 1 June 2013 (UTC)

Thank you very much 64, this really does mean an awful lot. Jalexander (talk) 02:31, 1 June 2013 (UTC)

SecurePoll Translation[edit]

Hey there James! An email was sent out to translators requesting help with the SecurePoll translations. I'm done with the Swahili ones [16] but I'm not sure if I went about it the right way since this if the first time I'm translating on Meta. Could you please take a look or point me to the right person? Thanks! --Syed Kazim (talk) 01:46, 3 June 2013 (UTC)

Hi Syed! Thanks so much for your quick help with the translation. It looks like you've done it almost perfectly! A couple notes that are not obvious for someone on their first time:
  • In general you want to try and mark something as 'ready' rather then published because it may need to be moved to another location (for example CentralNotice, or in this case SecurePoll) and an administrator will come by and mark it as published when that's done (or if it doesn't need to be moved anywhere just mark it as published). That allows them to keep better track of what they've moved and what they haven't. The translations are still available on the page for everyone as soon as you've saved them no matter what the setting is though.
  • It is a bit up to the translator, but some like to not mark at new translation as 'ready' right away but instead mark it as 'proofreading' because that essentially asks for another translator to come by and do a double check. That isn't always as important for these small translations or if you're confident so it's a bit more up to you.
Thanks again for your help! If you have a quick chance to translate the Central Notice banners it would be great as well. Sadly I didn't realize those weren't translated yet until after I sent out the mass message. Jalexander (talk) 02:06, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
Done. If there's anything else I can help with just let me know. --Syed Kazim (talk) 06:26, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

Global message delivery[edit]

In the future, maybe you could add the timestamp (~~~~~) and a link to m:GMD too. ;) PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:12, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

Oh, and use links like m:Special:MyLanguage/Trademark practices discussion, which automatically sends the user to the translated version if it exists? Not sure PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:14, 4 June 2013 (UTC)
Yeah, both of these make perfect sense ;) I was mostly just copying/pasting but did change a couple of things so should have caught that. Jalexander (talk) 01:18, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

Removal[edit]

Hello, I need a stewart to do this job for me: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/SRP#Cezarika1.40rowiki. Thanks. Cezarika1 (talk) 04:06, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Bug in Election2013 voting starts[edit]

Hi, there's a problem with Special:CentralNoticeBanners/edit/Election2013 voting starts, as described at en:WP:VPT#Elections banner is buggy. Where should this be reported, please? --Redrose64 (talk; at English Wikipedia) 10:25, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Thanks redrose, I responded on the VPT and am looking into it. Jalexander (talk) 22:04, 8 June 2013 (UTC)

Gender of username[edit]

Does that mean the documentation is wrong/outdated? PiRSquared17 (talk) 01:13, 15 June 2013 (UTC)

Yes, it was wrong, I'm not totally sure why it got there. However at the moment it doesn't matter I'm just trying to get things to work for the scripts which were supposed to go a while ago and ran into issues with the wikitext. I was originally going to adjust the gender stuff after dumping the translations but might as well fix them as I go through to update the other things. Jalexander (talk) 01:16, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
Are you the one who sent the email? Apparently the nomail list isn't working for everyone (see discussion) PiRSquared17 (talk) 04:16, 15 June 2013 (UTC)
In collaboration with tech, yes. I'll start looking into what happened so that we can figure it out thanks. Jalexander (talk) 04:56, 15 June 2013 (UTC)

Ping[edit]

Hello, is this you? --Minderbinder (talk) 19:05, 20 June 2013 (UTC)

This is me yes :) Jalexander (talk) 19:08, 20 June 2013 (UTC)

Planet Wikimedia[edit]

Hi James. I'm contacting you because I've seen that you were the most active person handling additions/removals to the Planet Wikimedia project. One of the blogs is being a real issue now, and such remarks should not stay on Wikimedia official websites. Could you please look into this, please ? I've created a section on the proper page. Best regards, -- Quentinv57 (talk) 15:25, 22 June 2013 (UTC)

Ainsi va Wikipédia and fr:Planet Wikimedia[edit]

Hello James!

Would it be possible to end the trench warfare on his page? It's in honour of nobody.

I repeat me, my blog has approximately 250 posts and less than 20 posts mention the names of contributors for failure to respect five pillars.

That these posts did not make pleasure to these contributors, I can understand but Wikimedia cannot participate in a scores settling based on untrue motives. I let you appreciate non-consensual interventions of Jean-Jacques Georges who encourage a bad mood.

If you think that my blog has no its place on fr: planet, you say it and you stop this discussion. If it has its place, say it quickly to avoid the excesses. Same for blog of Pierrot le Chroniqueur Wikirigoler on this page.

In any case, at the end of discussion, I shall ask you "oversight". The defamation charges against me are false, that has been demonstrated by contributors. Accused me wrongly of defamation, it’s also a libel against me.

Thank you and best regards -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 16:44, 22 July 2013 (UTC)

Hello James!
Already,
Six weeks since you have removed Ainsi va Wikipédia of fr:Planet,
Five weeks since my application for reinstatement,
and then ... nothing,
One week, Wikimania at Hong Kong,
and then ... still nothing,
however,
Ainsi va Wikipédiais not inconsistent with the criteria published for Planet,
and more,
You have had opportunity to verify that Ainsi va Wikipédia was not the blog presented by these few detractors who are nothing compared to 29,000 visits of my blog,
now,
I will be wanting of your decision.
If this may make your decision easier, I agree to modify the terms of my posts criticized by my opponents.
Thank you and best regards -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 22:50, 22 August 2013 (UTC)
To be honest I do not see consensus in that discussion to re add it. I was asked to remove it by the stewards and multiple other users who felt it was used to attack against other users. A large part of me believes that if there is that much controversy about a blog being on the list it just doesn't belong. I will allow others to also judge consensus, but I won't be adding it back on my own. 23:42, 24 August 2013 (UTC)
To be honest I do see that an articuled operation well organized for to muzzle a blog which embarrasses the problematics contributors that I denounce. My rough and ready expression is just a bad grounds, contributors in charge are not fools.
Regards -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 21:56, 25 August 2013 (UTC)
They are many way to denounce problematics contributors without using this kind of picture ! And as you said "ce blog-notes est maintenant suffisamment connu et nombre de contributeurs sont abonnés aux flux RSS pour n'avoir plus besoin de la publicité de Planet Wikipédia." So I don't understand why you are so preoccupied by your reintroduction.
But, I agree this blog has some good publications but others are unfortunately inapropriate and very offensive to a lot of contributors on Wikipedia.
Best regards--Mattho69 (talk) 13:39, 26 August 2013 (UTC)
Bonjour Mattho69
Si tu veux me laisser un message, j'ai une page de discussion, tu n'es pas obligé de polluer les user talk d'un autre contributeur. Je t'ai donc répondu sur ta page.
Cordialement -- Hamelin [ de Guettelet ] • 18:59, 26 August 2013 (UTC)

commons:File_talk:Wikivoyage-logo.svg#Overwrite[edit]

Hi. Please comment. Note that I did not propose it. PiRSquared17 (talk) 15:10, 6 September 2013 (UTC)

Oh, never mind. You already commented. :P PiRSquared17 (talk) 15:12, 6 September 2013 (UTC)

the German Problem[edit]

Dear Jalexander, I make Your Job Now self!--77.24.126.128 21:01, 8 September 2013 (UTC)

Wikivoyage logo with highlight[edit]

James, just wanted to give you a heads up, I am working on a version of the new Wikivoyage logo, with white drop-glow for use on the www.wikivoyage.org portal page. The logo already has a transparent background. So I didn't need to modify that but similar to what I did in the transparent WIKIMEDIA badge I gave this version of the Wikivoyage logo a white drop-glow so it will show better on the sunset background at www.wikivoyage.org.

You can see this logo work at User:Rogerhc/WV_logo_glow.

Let me know if this brings up any branding issues, or if I need to do the licensing differently.

Thanks, Rogerhc (talk) 05:57, 10 September 2013 (UTC)

Privacy policy banner translation[edit]

jem- asked on IRC to update the banner to reflect the last translation. There are several languages in need of update. --Nemo 05:54, 15 September 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Nemo, looking now. Jalexander (talk) 06:02, 15 September 2013 (UTC)

Privacy policy[edit]

Hi Jalexander. Since you renamed the old privacy policy page to a new name, please look at this rename request of the talk page. Trijnsteltalk 11:59, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Thanks Trij, Yes check.svg Done Jalexander (talk) 12:11, 18 September 2013 (UTC)

Mail about fair use from tr.wikipedia[edit]

Mr. James Alexander, i sent you e-mail. And this mail is so important for tr.wikipedia. I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter as soon as possible. Yours sincerely. Beyazmavi (talk) 15:37, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Help test better mass message delivery[edit]

Hi. You're being contacted as you've previously used global message delivery (or its English Wikipedia counterpart). It doesn't feel so great to be spammed, does it? ;-)

For the past few months, Legoktm has built a replacement to the current message delivery system called MassMessage. MassMessage uses a proper user interface form (no more editing a /Spam subpage), works faster (it can complete a large delivery in minutes), and no longer requires being on an access list (any local administrator can use it). In addition, many tiny annoyances with the old system have been addressed. It's a real improvement! :-)

You can test out MassMessage here: testwiki:Special:MassMessage. The biggest difference you'll likely notice is that any input list must use a new {{#target:}} parser function. For example, {{#target:User talk:Jimbo Wales}} or {{#target:User talk:Jimbo Wales|test2.wikipedia.org}}. For detailed instructions, check out mw:Help:Extension:MassMessage.

If you find any bugs, have suggestions for additional features, or have any other feedback, drop a note at m:Talk:MassMessage. Thanks for spamming! --MZMcBride (talk) 05:24, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

Secure-info mail[edit]

Hello. Sorry to disturb you, but recently i sent a e-mail to 'secure-info at wikimedia.org' for this request, but there is no any reaction or answer... I'm afraid letter might go to "spam", is it possible to check it... Thanks! OneLittleMouse (talk) 02:39, 16 October 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for the poke OneLittleMouse, I just went and found it and have added you to the ID Noticeboard so you should be set on that front :) Good luck!. Jalexander--WMF 02:42, 16 October 2013 (UTC)
OK, thanks again! OneLittleMouse (talk) 02:50, 16 October 2013 (UTC)

You Sleep??[edit]

About the german Wiki IP-Rocording ? --77.24.58.18 22:26, 17 November 2013 (UTC)

Call for comments on draft trademark policy[edit]

Well, I'm not sure whether to thank you for this revert, or not.[17] I mean, as a new trademark policy, it *is* kinda catchy, don't you think? Once, dated an NBA player from Georgia, and I don't mean the one which borders southwest South Carolina, either! Suggest you think it over. Maybe a journalist, with humanitarian interests, really IS the best conceivable embodiment of trademark policy. Did you just unilaterally revert, without even opening a new talkpage section? Tsk!  :-)   Translation: danke, your catch is appreciated. — 74.192.84.101 23:52, 18 January 2014 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Wikikina[edit]

Hi, Jalexander, I was wondering if you now what Wikikina and for example this and this is. Would this be a potential copyright infringement if it is not supported by the WMDE or WMF? Thank you for your time. Lotje (talk) 08:55, 19 November 2013 (UTC)

Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBot[edit]

Hi. You're being contacted as you're listed as an EdwardsBot user.

MassMessage has been deployed to all Wikimedia wikis. For help using the new tool, please check out its help page or drop a note on Meta-Wiki.

With over 400,000 edits to Wikimedia wikis, EdwardsBot has served us well; however EdwardsBot will no longer perform local or global message delivery after December 31, 2013.

A huge thanks to Legoktm, Reedy, Aaron Schulz and everyone else who helped to get MassMessage deployed. --MZMcBride (talk) 02:36, 22 November 2013 (UTC)


MediaWiki:Centralnotice-trademarkpolicyA-text1/fr[edit]

Hi. Can you please replace "vis-a-vis" by "vis-à-vis", the correct spelling. I hope it will then appear automatically on the sitenotice in Wikipedia in French! Thks. Zetud (talk) 23:21, 26 November 2013 (UTC)

done! thanks! Jalexander--WMF 01:35, 27 November 2013 (UTC)

voy:en:Wikivoyage:Travellers'_pub#.voyage[edit]

Hi! How would we go about requesting something like this? --Rschen7754 09:38, 28 November 2013 (UTC)

Hi Rschen, looks very interesting! I know the legal team has been thinking about the tld's and domains to buy but it's always good to put ones we want off the bat on their radar. Yana Welinder is the one within the team who takes the lead on that (as well as squatting/mistype domains you see around) and she would be the best one to reach out to. You can reach her through the email user feature or feel free to email directly at Ywelinder@wikimedia.org (feel free to copy me in if you want but not necessary). I'll give her a heads up as well!. Jalexander--WMF 09:46, 28 November 2013 (UTC)

New privacy policy[edit]

Hi James. I saw this and just wanted to say that while my opinion has changed a bit, the identification rule still stands. You still want to make a list of everyone with CU/OS/steward etc rights. And I do understand that it's important, but why do you want to know our address? Isn't the place and email address enough (besides name/age - I don't like date of birth either, but okay)? And you will keep the info for as long as someone has those rights, +6 months. Why the 6 months? I'm still not comfortable about this policy... Trijnsteltalk 23:30, 9 December 2013 (UTC)

Hey Trij, I encourage you to express those questions and views on the talk page again if you haven't. I think that section was right to close given the large changes since it was created (and the wording that it was regarding people who would quit given the draft at the time). While I'm certainly happy to talk privately about my personal opinions on the draft in the end I'm just another voice on it (and I promise the policies up for consultation would be very different if I wrote them ;) ). It is very important to say what you're thinking though, especially after the changes, because the legal team is really very interested in it. I know, for example, that they are heavily considering the option of just getting rid of the ID requirement (and building a statement to that effect in the privacy policy) given the feedback and so hearing what you think of that and what you think should be required is important. On the other hand I also know I had multiple Stewards come up to me, in person, a couple months ago wanting much MUCH stricter ID checks with legal/notary certification etc. It is, sadly, not a cut and dry issue and so I really want to hear from as many people as possible. Right now we have a bit more then a month left in the scheduled time frame, and I hope we'll be done by then, but in the end we want to get it right more then any time schedule. Let me know if you need anything, heading to bed now but will obviously be around as usual. Jalexander--WMF 08:58, 10 December 2013 (UTC)
Yes check.svg Done, see Talk:Access to nonpublic information policy#More about the ID procedure;
Even stricter ID checks? From stewards?! I could guess who they are, but they never said those things to me personally or on stewards-l. Trijnsteltalk 16:21, 10 December 2013 (UTC)

Mike Wood/legalmorning.com[edit]

On enwiki the account Morning277 was given a community ban, based on what was found in a sock-puppet investigation.

The company legalmorning.com was brought up in the sock-puppet investigation--please note in the report the mention of an Elance page where a "Mike W." was hired to write three Wikipedia articles.

News stories came out connecting the company Wiki-PR, which hires people on Elance and similar sites, to the creation of several Wikipedia articles brought up in the sock-puppet investigation. The people and companies who had been the subjects of the articles confirmed to reporters that Wiki-PR had been hired. Wiki-PR received its own community ban on the English Wikipedia, and around 19 November, WMF Legal had an e-mail sent asking them to cease and desist [18].

Now, this story has appeared on ibtimes.com, in which someone named Mike Wood is quoted as saying "Morning277 is my account, but I am not Wiki-PR nor do I have a relation with them [...] I do not provide any information about edits that were done under that account and do not disclose any work that I have done since that account", that he owns legalmorning.com, and that he "was using multiple accounts to create articles". In light of this, perhaps a separate cease-and-desist request to Mike Wood or legalmorning.com would be helpful. Rybec (talk) 22:58, 27 January 2014 (UTC)

To put it a bit simpler: the SPI which has been used as the basis of actions against Wiki-PR contains accounts that can reasonably be attributed to Wiki-PR, accounts which can reasonably be attributed to Morning277/Mike Wood, and accounts which are not necessarily connected to either. Morning277/Mike Wood are not the same as Wiki-PR, and both Mike Wood and Wiki-PR have stated that they are unrelated. So we cannot rely on the findings in that SPI to make claims about any further editing by Wiki-PR, as identified accounts may belong to either party, or may not be directly related to either. - Bilby (talk) 00:20, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
Hi Rybec and Bilby,
Regarding the on-wiki Morning277 SPI, that's a question for the community and the CU community on enWiki. The statements made in the "Cease and Desist" letter were based on an investigation that we did, which was separate from the SPI and was very specifically focused on Wiki-PR and our evidence linked to them. Regarding Morning277, we're aware of Mr. Wood and are continuing to review our options in regards to him. Jalexander--WMF 18:00, 29 January 2014 (UTC)

Bug fixes and updates for cebwiki[edit]

Hi!

Since you edited cebwiki's common.js yesterday, could you also implement a few more changes I suggested at ceb:MediaWiki talk:Common.js#Bug fixes and updates? Thanks, Helder 18:41, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

That can be handled by global sysops; you can place a request at SRM. --Rschen7754 02:32, 1 February 2014 (UTC)
Yikes, sorry Helder, I did indeed mean to point you towards SRM like Rschen recommended, sorry it took so long. I just think its better for something like that to go through the community process when we can (I made the edits I made since it came to me in a work context ). Jalexander--WMF 02:34, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

Fair use pictures in Wikivoyage banners[edit]

Would you mind taking a look at the discussion at voy:en:Wikivoyage_talk:Non-free_content#Distillation_of_the_argument? I am concerned about en.wikivoyage's interpretation of fair use, specifically that it is permissible to have fair-use images in banners like voy:en:Baltimore/Midtown, and think it violates wmf:Resolution:Licensing policy. Rschen7754 03:02, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

Thanks for the pointer Rschen. I'll take a look this evening and think about it but will probably want to chat with one or two others here before I (or one of them) respond. Because of that it may be early next week before I'm able to since most of them have gone home already (and the board meeting is this weekend). Jalexander--WMF 03:06, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

Question[edit]

Hi sir,
I asked you a question on one of your subpages. I wanted to know if you have intention to answer me or if the question is too difficult/far from your work ? If so, do you know who I must contact to have an answer ?
Thank you ! Simon Villeneuve 13:23, 11 February 2014 (UTC)

Your corrections of anchors are wrong[edit]

Look at the talk page of the Privacy policy why. Basically your id's are invalid (spaces and punctuations, including the ampersands to avoid absolutely in anchors!) and not unique (browsers will fail to link to them).

Note that MediaWiki has to "anchroencode" the headings to generate pseduo-unique id's (but this process fails each time a article contains the same heading text in different sections). MediaWiki replaces all punctuations, spaces (but it neddlessly encodes the non-ASCII characters, instead of keeping them unchanged in UTF-8 form, when they are letters (see the HTML doc about validity of IDs for HTML and XML (including XHTML). The pseudo id's generaed by MediaWiki by default on section headings are not reliable, they work sometimes

But do not trust MediaWiki's ANCHORENCODE function to do the work correctly for any valid input string. The simplest way is to insert static anchors made only of lowercase letters (with words separated only by dash-hyphens), and truncated to only the significant words. You should also generate IDs limtied in length (you don't need to include all words of a section heading, only those that are selective of the section). You may use section numbers in your id's if they are easier to track (e.g. with anchor "section-2-2", so that source links will use "#section-2.2") privided the structure is stable; but it's preferable to use the most significant keyword of the heading, possibly augmented by an ordinal if it has several occurences, or by the next selective keyword: look at the TOC, copy paste it to an excel sheet column, then in a second column assign an ID. Make sure (by sorting the table) that all ID's chosen are unique. Then use this sheet as a reference sheet to set the anchors used in source links.

All anchors in the article are to review (most of them are invalid, they must be all different from section headings to be unique)

Then check the source links present in the transcluded template.

Note that the transcluded template should also include a parameter for the base URL to insert in source links... That template should be fully in a includeonly section followed by a noinclude section transcluding it with the expected URL of the article, so that target anchors can be tested. Make sure that the trnaslated template will still correctly link to the correct translated full article which itself transcludes the translated template !!!

Yes this is lot of work because MediaWiki still does not assist you to track where an anchor is used in source links... You need lot of rigor to deifne ID's for static anchors, then need to check that all source links use the correct static anchors defined for each heading of the article...

verdy_p (talk) 01:18, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

Responded on the talk page. Jalexander--WMF 01:41, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

CentralNotice/Calendar[edit]

Hi. I've undone this edit of yours in this edit. Please clarify if/when re-posting. Broadly, we should be moving away from fully global banners. --MZMcBride (talk) 04:11, 12 February 2014 (UTC)

Child protection policy[edit]

Hi - see my note on Geoff's page. I just wanted to understand why nothing has been done in 6 months about my questions on child protection. Peter Damian (talk) 21:19, 5 March 2014 (UTC)

Request for feedback on my GSoC'14 proposal[edit]

Hi Jalexander,

I am planning to work on the project titled "Tools for mass migration of legacy translated wiki content" this summer under Google Summer of Code. I have drafted a proposal for the same over the past few weeks. This project is going to help the translation adminstrators like you in a great way, as it would completely automate the tedious manual task of preparing a page for translation and then importing the translations into the Translate extension. You can check the proposal page for detailed information on how I plan to accomplish this.

As you would be an end user of this tool, it would be great if you could go through the proposal and provide feedback/suggestions. Your feedback would definitely help me improve the proposal as well help in creating an even better tool. You can do the same on the discussion page of the proposal or reply here, whichever is convenient for you. I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you!

P.S: I need to submit the proposal to Google by March 19, 2014.

BPositive (talk) 13:14, 13 March 2014 (UTC)

User:Nikerabbit and global interface editor[edit]

Hi! We are wondering if Nikerabbit's global interface editor rights are granted for WMF purposes, or as a volunteer (if it was the latter, the rights are expired and need to be removed). The original discussion is at Steward_requests/Global_permissions/2012-08#Global_editinterface_for_Nikerabbit. --Rschen7754 19:39, 14 March 2014 (UTC)

The rights never went through us and so I would generally consider them to be within the volunteer purview. I'm happy to write to him to see if he needs them for work purposes and, if so, we can convert them into staff rights. Do we know if he's been using them (is that why they are expiring)? Or are they just expiring because they expire automatically with or without use. I can certainly envision a reason for needing them in his language engineering work but whether he actually needs/uses them is a different question :). Jalexander--WMF 19:45, 14 March 2014 (UTC)
The rights are supposed to be reconfirmed after one year, unless they are granted through WMF staff request. Following... recent events, we checked to see if any other people with this right had not been reconfirmed within the last year. I can wait to remove them until we hear back from you. --Rschen7754 19:53, 14 March 2014 (UTC)
Thanks much, I've written Nikerabbit and his manager. Jalexander--WMF
Have you heard anything back? --Rschen7754 17:33, 27 March 2014 (UTC)