Brazil Program/Reports/weekly/archive

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

July 9-13[edit]

To-dos[edit]
  • Execute ambasssadors strategy
    • Improve the "how to participate page"
    • Sitenotice
    • Talk page of wikipedians
  • Send post-semester questions to ambassadors and professors
  • Fill out post-semester survey with Pablo' students answer on paper
  • Professors selection committee to be published
  • Attend Wikimania
  • Improve general programa report
  • Improve internal communication report
  • Ask ambassadors to send e-mail to all students asking if they want to be campus ambassadors
  • Resent post-semester survey by e-mail
  • Find a place in Rio for the training
  • Organizing/planing lecture in Rio during Frank's visit (need his confirmation)

July 2-6[edit]

To-dos[edit]
  • PUC professors follow-up Yes check.svg Done
  • Start pos-semester survey to: 1. professors (email) and 2. ambassadors (form) - to be sent next week Yes check.svg Done Now they need to be send. --Ezalvarenga (talk) 14:04, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
  • USP gradutate students office follow up (through our networking) Yes check.svg Done
  • Ambassadors recruitment strategy (with Oona on Tuesday/Wednesday) Yes check.svg Done Now they need to be executed (Jessie helped a lot on this). --Ezalvarenga (talk) 14:04, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
    • Contact ambassadors through talk page
    • Write and publish at Esplanada
  • Engage online ambassadors to add some articles of Pablo's course online Yes check.svg Done
  • Pablo's class with ambassadors (Tuesday night/Friday morning) Yes check.svg Done
  • Timeline for tutorials (professors, students and ambassadors) for the program
  • Improve professors selection process based upon applications so far Yes check.svg Done
  • Improve program FAQ (professors questions on the open call)
  • Professors selection committee: start defining Yes check.svg Done A lot of Oona work here. --Ezalvarenga (talk) 14:04, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
  • Find a place in Rio for the training
  • Organizing/planing lecture in Rio during Frank's visit (need his confirmation)
  • A few minutes interview about the program with Pablo (Wednesday), Mariana (Friday) and some students (during Pablo's class, if possible) Yes check.svg Done

June 25-29[edit]

  • 25: Start contacting places for the August trainning; Send email for ambassadors to send post-semester survey; Improving the FAQ
  • 26 Trigger emails for the open call
  • 27: Go to USP to ensure that the open call will reach all professors of all schools
  • 28:
  • 29:
To-dos[edit]
Training
  • Contact institutions for the trainning in São Paulo Yes check.svg Done, place in São Paulo definede. --Ezalvarenga (talk) 14:27, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
    • UNESP Yes check.svg Done It seems on a Saturday it's difficult to have the trainning, but I'll receive a more precise feedback. Other institutions will be --Ezalvarenga (talk) 13:37, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
  • Plan trainning materials
Open calls
End of the semester
  • Send email to online ambassadors send post-semester survey Yes check.svg Done
Is there a place (perhaps a table) where we can see each class and whether or not the survey was distributed? Do you think we need it to confirm the courses got it? Jwild (talk) 17:44, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
I'll add it here (as you have suggested somewhere, someday), as long as I am aware ambassadors have sent it. --Ezalvarenga (talk) 19:50, 25 June 2012 (UTC)
Hummm, thinking more about it, it's better to already add the field and ask ambassadors/professors to fill it out. I'll do it. --Ezalvarenga (talk)

June 4-8[edit]

  • 4: Newsletter to LiAnna, Contact professors using Wikipedia
  • 5: Talk to Oona
  • 6: Cairo and Brazil pilots meeting
  • 7:
  • 8:

Total:

To do
  • Newsletter
  • Contact professors using Wikipedia
  • Contact new professors
  • Talk to Oona
  • Cairo and Brazil pilots meeting
  • Improve actions planning and timeline for June and July
  • Follow up with USP Leste
  • Contact ambassadors
  • Talk to Heloisa on skype with Jessie(?)

May 28 - June 1[edit]

  • 28: Meeting with Pablo (13h-15h ~2h) + journalist (~1h) + Emails/wiki/preparing presentation (~4h)
  • 29: UNESP presentation (9h-12h ~3h) + Lunch to discuss about institutionalization (13h-15h ~2h) + talk to Oona (~2h)
  • 30-31: Some emails/some wiki (~1h)
  • 1: Reports/emails (~5h)

Total: ~20

To do
  • Agree on a (well planned) contract with WMF.
  • Meeting Pablo Yes check.svg Done
  • Meeting with Sueli Yes check.svg Done (and Rosangela?)
  • UNESP lecture Yes check.svg Done
  • 2-weekly report Yes check.svg Done
  • Improve general report, at least some timeline for the actions plan
  • Meeting with USP Leste professors Yes check.svg Done
  • Meeting with pro-rector of culture and extension (?)

May 21-25[edit]

  • 21: Organizing the following week events + wiki + emails (~3h) + meeting with Oona (15h30-19h30 ~4h) = (~7h)
  • 22: Learning through extension course at UNIRIO (14h-17h00 ~3h) + TV Brasil (~1h) + Ambassadors and professors meeting (~3h) = (~7h)
  • 23: Some emails (~1h)
  • 24: WEP discussion (9h-10h30 ~1h30) + emails/discussions (10h30-14h ~ 3h30) + emails/calls/proof reading Brazil Program page to community (~1h) + + dinner with professors (20h-24h ~4h) + preparing lecture (~3h) (~13h)
  • 25: Working a bit more on the presentaion (~1h) + event at USP (14h - 18h)(~4h) + waiting for meeting with Heloisa? (~1h) (~5h) (~6h?)

Total: (~33h) (~34h?)

To do
  • lots of things Yes check.svg Done

May 14-18[edit]

  • 14: reading/sending emails, updating sheet, wikifying things (already 2,5h) Yes check.svg Done + emails that appeared (Rio meeting + UNESP presentation) and preparing things to presetation happen (40 minutes) Yes check.svg Done + writing May 14 report (~already 2,0h) + contact ambassadors Yes check.svg Done (30 minutes), see here (0,5) (total ~7h)
  • 15: Education meeting (1,5) + emails, calls and finishing the report (~5,0h)
  • 16: GDT meeting (~1h) + calls, emails and readings (~1,5h)go as a volunteers on Pablo's class together with Gullit (~2,5h)
  • 17: /wep-2012-general (2h) Calls + some emails + some wiki (0,5h)
  • 18: /wep-2012-general (?) (2h) + calls, emails and postal service (1,25h) + WEP team meeting (~1,5h)

Total: (~20h)

To do
  • May 14 classes status report Yes check.svg Done
  • Update thoughts on how it is possible to nominate a user-page for deletion Yes check.svg Done
  • Contact ambassadors about discussions on pages nominated for deletion Yes check.svg Done

May 7 - 11[edit]

  • 7: reporting page + institutionalization page (~2h) + Cairo and Brazil pilots (study + answers + talk with Annie/Jessie/Frank) + student's list + IM + emails + talk to one campus ambassador on skype + talk to one professor onmoodle (~6h)
  • 8: Talk to Jessie and Oona (15h00-16h30)+ Continue contacts with universities + talk to Otavio + update and organize WMF contacts + in Brazil start May 14 report (~6h2h30)
  • Some work on Pablo (1 and 2) and Heloisa (1) courses. (~0h40) --Tom (talk)
  • talk to Oona and Jessie + emails and wiki (~1h50)
  • 9: Talk to Jessie, Annie and Frank + continue contact with universities + 2-weekly report + talk to Jessie and Oona on Jessie's visit + organizing meetings in Brazil while Jessie is here (~5h)
  • 10: emails + wiki + scanning telegram +talk to Otavio (~2)
  • 11: Talk to Jessie, organizing visit, professors calls and to dos that appeared during the wiki (13h - 19h ~ 6h)

Total: ~21h30

To do
  • Email Frank the list of usernames in the program and have in run script on activity ratings Yes check.svg Done

April 30/May 1 - 4[edit]

  • 30: emails, IM (~0,5)
  • 1: talk to Vini and Jessie, plus emails and wiki (~2h)
  • 2: Talk to Jessie, Edivaldo, Heloisa, reading report, helping planning Jessie's visit (~3h + 3h = 6h)
    • Raise questions on why students aren't editing yet to discuss with ambassadors Yes check.svg Done, see here
    • Contact ambassadors - What is the best way for us to get in touch with all the different campus ambassadors? I think we should ask if anyone wants to be in charge of the workshops
Talked to Pablo (+phone), Heloisa (+email) and some ambassadors (phone+email+wiki). On the way. --Tom (talk) 13:18, 3 May 2012 (UTC)
  • 3: Institutionalization (focused in USP and UNESP so far) + wiki + emails
    • Contacts for institutionalizing the program -- I emailed those people you recommended; could you help follow-up with them via phone or email? Maybe in Portuguese would be better? (~4h)
    • Contact with UNESP for the event - can you hound down Jose like Heloisa said we may need to? That would be very helpful!
  • 4: Went to USP east with ambassadors for analysing Pablo's course situation + engaging ambassadors in the workshop organization (~5h)
  • 5: finish to answer some emails + improve reports (~2,5)

Total: ~20h

To do list
  • Raise questions on why students aren't editing yet to discuss with ambassadors Yes check.svg Done
  • Answer Jessie and Oona on the report improvement
  • Contact ambassadors - What is the best way for us to get in touch with all the different campus ambassadors? I think we should ask if anyone wants to be in charge of the workshops Yes check.svg Done in São Paulo
  • Contacts for institutionalizing the program -- I emailed those people you recommended; could you help follow-up with them via phone or email? Maybe in Portuguese would be better?
  • Contact with UNESP for the event - can you hound down Jose like Heloisa said we may need to? That would be very helpful! Yes check.svg Done
  • I need try to call on the week ahead. --Tom (talk) 19:24, 5 May 2012 (UTC)
  • Carefully read and make questions on Cairo pilot
  • Answer to Annie and Jessie on Cairo and Brazil pilots

April 23-28[edit]

  • report
  • talk to Jessie
  • talk to ambassadors
  • add other things (bring from odesk)

Total: ~21h

April 16-20[edit]

  • 16: Align the activities with with each ambassadors group and start meeting with each group + emails (~5h)
  • 17-19: Answering some emails and wiki pages I was watching (~2h)
  • 20: Start meetings and other to do list task (~10h 9h)
  • asas
  • 21: meeting with ambassadors + start report (~3h 2h)
  • 22: learning points + start report for Barry (~2h)

Total: ~20h

To do list
  1. Plan the week together with ambassadors Yes check.svg Done
  2. Start planning Jessie's visit
  3. Share more learning points until now
  4. Put people from Portugal in touch with Frank
  5. Send to Oona telegram of CA shipment materials (locked in the postal service :( )
  6. Thoughts on Wikimedia Education Cooperative
  7. Interview with professor Maria Jorente
    Did you talk to her already? Or did Jaider give you the update? Jwild (talk) 21:44, 17 April 2012 (UTC)
    No, I didn't. It was my mistake to add a strike because I just copy and paste the previous week one and forgot to remove the HTML tags. --Tom (talk) 19:08, 20 April 2012 (UTC)


April 9-13[edit]

  • 9: organizing a bit of the courses wiki, answered some emails to professors and ambassadors. Late in the afternoon: progress on wiki editing estimative and report for those already started + emails (~2h (worked) + 2h ~1h = ~4h ~3h) and week estimative Yes check.svg Done
  • 10: prepare presentation and class for Marília + emails + wiki reports (~1h) Yes check.svg Done
  • 11: go to Marília to talk to students and people in university interested in the program + interview with professor Maria Jorente (no time) + emails + wiki (~5h) Yes check.svg Done
  • 12: class to Heloisa students and people who join the lab (~5h) Yes check.svg Done
  • 13: Estimative tables + messages to ambassadors + emails + IM + organizing WMF email (~5h) Yes check.svg Done
  • 14: Heloisa class report Yes check.svg Done + message to some groups of ambassadors (~1-2h)

Total: ~20-21h

Todo list;
  1. Topic on the ambassadors talk page explaining some details now that action inside class are starting. Yes check.svg Done Emails to each ambassadors group also pointing to this topic
  2. Estimate when students will start editing Wikipedia (waiting some professors confirmation after emails for each group, but estimative is underway) Yes check.svg Done, although it needs updates from ambassadors feedback
  3. Prepare class for Marília course Yes check.svg Done
  4. Meeting with students and people interested in the WEP Yes check.svg Done
  5. Class in Marília Yes check.svg Done
  6. Thoughts on Wikimedia Education Cooperative
  7. Interview with professor Maria Jorente
  8. Send to Oona telegram of CA shipment materials (locked in the postal service :( )

April 2-7[edit]

Todo list;
  1. More updates on the Goals page (now with more data as long as the semester runs)
  2. Write text to recruit campus ambassadors for UNESP (Since we are going to Marília on 12 April, should be sent now) Yes check.svg Done
    This was done in collaboration with professor Heloisa to make the outreaching in Marília more effective. --Tom (talk) 14:18, 9 April 2012 (UTC)
  3. Finish blog post for WMF blog about the Brazil education program Yes check.svg Done
  4. Add ambassadors who answered the form in WEP mailing lists Yes check.svg Done
  5. Email welcoming ambassadors Yes check.svg Done
  6. Email for each course group: 1. Vera Yes check.svg Done, 2. Pablo Yes check.svg Done, 3. Heloisa Yes check.svg Done, 4. Juliana Yes check.svg Done, 5. Edivaldo Yes check.svg Done.
  7. Topic on the ambassadors talk page
  8. Estimate when students will start editing Wikipedia
  9. Thoughts on Wikimedia Education Cooperative
  10. Pick up CA shipment materials (locked in the postal service :( )

March 26-30[edit]

  • 26: Emails, phone calls, improving project, form to ambassador, goals and background wiki pages, and part of this message to everybody participating of the project, just finished on 27 morning (~4 hours)
  • 27: Finished project status update and working on the text to UNESP for recruiting ambassadors, started blog post wiki page to WMF blog and more updates on the goals page + organized wiki pages of the program + emails (~7h ~6h)
  • 28-29: Call mail service, emails, wiki pages + discussion with Oona + phone call to Pablo (~6h~4h)
I've asked Oona to help me with postal service problem and I am going to scan the page to her. --Tom (talk) 19:18, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
  • 30: finish WMF blog post Done a bit more of the blog post + discussed with Vera about the program (phone + SMS, good news) + exchanged some emails(~3h ~2h)
  • 1: Adding WMF blog post to work on Sunday here because of misfortunes during the week (~4h)

Total: ~20h

March 19-23[edit]

Major activity: Tom traveling to Rio to sit through first classes there and debrief with Campus Ambassadors. Also will talk to FGV RS professors to see what their intentions are with using Wikipedia in the classroom.

  • 19: defin agenda of the week with professors in Rio (partially done) + answer pending email + reply topics raised on goals page and update it with as much information as we have
  • 23: Talk to Edivaldo (I'll attend his class), Janaína (she will be near the UFJ physics institute) and Juliana
  • 24: Try to talk with FGV RS professors to analyse their situation in the program - it's good if Oona talk to them before as well
Todo list
  1. Update the Goals page (in progress)
  2. After the ambassadors meeting, message to all ambassadors + professors to clarify when they are starting to work and details for each group Yes check.svg Done
    1. ambassadors should look at the model adopted by the professor they are supporting
    2. ambassadors should support professors to update the courses page as they wish
    3. all professors should report when they plan the wiki activities to start (most of them have done already)
    Ambassadors were asked to do so and this will be emphasized when they join the project mailing list. --Tom (talk) 15:36, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
  3. Pre-semester survey: make edits.
  4. Pre-semester survey (short link goo.gl/dGYZJ): Send students beginning of semester survey (for classes starting now - this week, only Pablo's) Only professor Pablo students have received up to now. Professor Edivaldo students' emails taken and Vini was asked to send the pre-semester survay. --Tom (talk) 15:36, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
  5. Finishing to organize courses pages to be all like this.
    Almost Yes check.svg Done. We need Vera's feedeback. We have already called her, emailed and asked ambassadors to talk to her. --Tom (talk) 15:36, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
  6. Finish report on the class status and how (important, some reports are late - by Thursday) (Yes check.svg Done during the online meeting with ambassadors)
    Great! where are these reports going to be kept? Is there IRC log posted somewhere? Jwild (talk) 15:55, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
    Here.--Tom (talk) 15:36, 27 March 2012 (UTC)
  7. Interview with Prof. Maria from UNESP, Prof. Fabio from USP, and Prof. Leila from UNIRIO about experiences in program (I think it could go to next week)
  8. Pick up CA shipment materials (locked in the postal service :( )
  9. Write text to recruit campus ambassadors for UNESP (not urgent anymore after talk to Heloisa)
  10. Write blog post for WMF blog about the Brazil education program
  11. Thoughts on Wikimedia Education Cooperative

March 12-16[edit]

  • 12:(14h30-16h) finish unfinished reports, (16h-17h~17h30) UNESP publisher, (19h30h-22h30) Emails + WEP WP:PT page (~6h00)
  • 13: (14h30-15h30) CiviCRM, (16h-20h) monitor students + roadmap draft for 2012 + UNESP text (~5)
  • 14: (16h-22h45) Class about Wikipedia to Pablo' students (~6h45h)
  • 15: (13h30-14h30) WEP weekly meeting, (14h30-17h), to be defined, (17h-18h) Oona and Jessie, (18h19h30) to be defined (~6h)
  • 16: (9h-12h) Class about WP (~3) + (16h-17) Talk to Frank (~4)
  • 16: Conduct Online Ambassador orientation. Utilize Wikipedia_Education_Program/MENA/OA_Orientation Cairo Model. (~2)
  • 17: Organizing wiki pages of courses. (~3)
  • Also:
  1. Work with Ayush on best ways to monitor student involvement (important use page had created to do that - by Wednesday, essential should be established)
  2. Remind ambassadors about online meeting (by Tuesday)
  3. Class about Wikipedia for Pablo (Wednesday night and Friday morning)
  4. Organized course pages to be all like this (by Wednesday) (partially Yes check.svg Done for professors we have information)
  5. Meetings:Update Oona on program + weekly WEP team meeting (Thur) + talk to Frank on Friday reporting the pilot status Yes check.svg Done
  6. Set up professor user account pages Yes check.svg Done
Is this done? Heloisa, Edivaldo, and Vera all have red links on their names on the list of courses Jwild (talk) 23:24, 15 March 2012 (UTC)
OK, now I think it's well Yes check.svg Done. I created a schema for dividing all groups inside the project using categories. This was already reported in the ambassador talk page, but I'll send a message to each one this week. I've asked Ayush on yammer if he agrees with this to make the analysis. --Tom (talk) 18:58, 19 March 2012 (UTC)
  1. Clarify with CAs and OAs when the timeline for the different professor and their interactions with Wikipedia (partially Yes check.svg Done, waiting professors report on the class situation)
    1. Setting up student usernames
    2. Posting student usernames on course pages
    3. Beginning editing

March 5-9[edit]

  • 5: (~17h-19h50) public report on the Saturday training + emails + wiki discussions (~3h)
  • 6: (~18h-20h) preparing Wednesday/Friday class (~2h)
  • 8: (14h-22h) preparing and teaching class at USP + outreaching (~8h - 1h of transport = ~7h)
  • 9: (14h-18h10) weekly meeting + emails + wiki (~4h)
  • 10: (8h30-10h30 + 12h30h-16h + 17h-18h) Class at USP + talk to ambassadors and Vera at USP + wiki, emails and IM (~6h)
  • Do training with Vera Yes check.svg Done - tho is was more a discussion and she will give us students feedback this week. --Tom (talk) 05:07, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
    • Set-up user account; set-up course page Yes check.svg Done
  • Merchandise Yes check.svg Done
    • Ship CA materials
  • Finish clarifying pages on the meta-wiki
  • Work with Ayush on best ways to monitor student involvement
  • Pair up Ambassadors (Campus and Online) with Professors (see Course page) Almost Yes check.svg Done, need some improvement

Feb 27-Mar 3[edit]

  • Merchandise:
    • Get t-shirt sizes from campus ambassadors

** Ship class merchandise (moved to next week)

  • Prepare for the professor and ambassador training on 3 March
    • Send invitations
    • Write out training modules (note: create links to the modules listed on the Training page
    • Secure trainers
    • Create agenda
  • Conduct training
  • Update the main project page (note - this to be done during the training event)

Things Tom has been doing during his weeks in reverse chronological order.

February 7-16 (while Jessie is also in Brazil!)

(Tom! I was just thinking of some of things we need to finalize for the education program, and I thought maybe we could do the following while I was in Brazil for the next few weeks. Please change around as necessary!)

  • Information Wikis: Hack together the finalized site; work with the other volunteers to perhaps help with translating the materials
  • Design: Create Education logo for Brazil! (getting logo tools from LiAnna)
  • Recruitment: Create recruitment plan for CAs and OAs (if necessary), translation, and /or for conducting trainings
  • Meet with Professors: Meet with all the professors who are individually engaged with the different (SP & Rio)
  • Do some promotional meetings: PUC, USP (Note: this isn't to recruit new professors for this semester, it is for later)
  • Organize orientations: Finalize materials and details for the professor orientation and campus ambassador training
  • Syllabi: articulate the best ways for professors to incorporate the editing into their work

January 30[edit]

  • 30: Message on the village pump about the education program inviting the Brazilian community (around 2 hours)
  • 1: talk to Jessie and Annie about ambassador recruitment + emails + wiki (1,5 hour)
  • 2-3: thread on ambassadors recruitment with Otavio + inviting some users for being ambassadors (3 hours)
  • 2: contact last professor who are joining the ambassador program + mailing list + collective weblog (around 1 hour)
  • 2: talk in skype with the global education team (1,5 hour)
  • 3: Organizing the entrance page of the program and pages there in (around 2 hours)
  • 30-4: emails related to the program + discussions with staff and community + wiki organization + organizing lectures (we'll have three next week) about the program (around 9 hours) Comment: unfortunately, there was a huge time spent trying to solve conflicts and barriers for the program. --Tom 17:15, 4 February 2012 (UTC)
  • 3: notes on interviews and talks (around 2 hours)
  • 3: Finalize the goals of the education program (around 2 hours)

Total: 20 hours (for the moment)


January 23[edit]

  • 23 and 24: Report on the strengths, weakness and opportunities (around 4 hours)
  • 24: notes on interviews and talks (around 0,5 hours)
  • 24: talk to MP, Barry, Jessie and Castelo on the candidates (around 1,5 hour)
  • 25: ambassadors models (around 3 hours)
  • 25: contact ambassadors: templates + emails (around 1 hours)
  • 25: contact professors and ambassadors for interview + GEP information (around 1 hour)
  • 25: contact professors who are joining the ambassador program: + mailing list + collective weblog (around 2 hours)
  • 26: interview on US consulte (around 4 hours)
  • 26: talk to the GEP team (around 3 hours)
  • during the week: emails and discussions with WMF and wikimedians, and improving the Wiki of the Brazilian education program strategy (around 5 hours)

Total: 20 hours

January 16[edit]

  • 17: started bringing the program outline to meta
  • 18: Talk to professors Sueli, Vera, João, Marchetti and graduate students at USP
  • 20: Talk to Juliana
  • week: some emails

January 9[edit]

  • Talk to professor Pablo

January 2[edit]

  • 5 and 6: candidates interview (as a volunteer)
  • 7: WikiSampa (as a volunteer)

December[edit]

December 26
  • Contacting professors, answering a lot of emails and organizing wiki pages
December 19
  • Contacting professors, answering a lot of emails and organizing wiki pages
December 16 (starting counting since 19)
  • Contacting professors, answering a lot of emails and organizing wiki pages