CEE/Newsletter/July 2019/Contents/Tatar report
Russia's First Inter-Regional Youth Wiki-Program
- Based on the Russian Wikinews article Впервые в России прошла межрегиональная молодёжная вики-программа
Over 800 teenagers from dozens of Russia's regions learned about Wikimedia projects thanks to country's first Youth Wiki-Outreach Event held in the Republic of Tatarstan.
July 17-20 Program was organized by Selet WikiSchool team as a component of an IT-specific session of the 8th Selet International Youth Education Forum. Principal partners in making this happen were Selet Foundation, Republic of Tatarstan Ministry for Youth Affairs, Wikimedians of Tatar Language User Group, Wikimedia Russia and Wikimedia Foundation, with support of Tatarstan's Deputy Prime-Minister Roman Shaykhutdinov & his team at Tatarstan ICT-ministry throughout the spring. Theme of each day guided selection of speakers and topics presented. Two one-hour long master-classes with a half an hour break were conducted every day, featuring mentors below:
- Day 1 Class 1: Reda Kerbouche (Wikimedians of Tamazight User Group, Wikimedia Affiliations Committee, St.Petersburg) - Wikimedia projects & the movements
- Day 2 Class 2: Susanna Mkrtchyan & Davit Sargsyan (Wikimedia Armenia, Yerevan) - Wikimedia camps
- Day 2 Class 1: Farhad Fatkullin (Wikimedia Languages of Russia Community, Wikimedia Russia & WUG TAT) & Abdullah Khamidullin (Wikimedians of Tatar Language User Group, Kazan) - Wikimedia contests & activities
- Day 2 Class 2: Vladimir Medeyko (Wikimedia Russia, St.Petersburg) & Stanislav Kozlovsky (Wikimedia Russia, Moscow) - Wikimedia projects, practical Wiki-skills
- Day 3 Class 1 & 2: Amir Aharoni (Wikimedia Foundation Languages team, Israel) - ContentTranslation tool
- Day 4 Class 1: Alina Vozna (Khmelnytskyi, Ukraine) & Dmitry Rozhkov (Wikimedia Russia, Moscow) - Wiki-Clubs, GLAM & Open Library projects
- Day 4 Class 2: Anna Buryukova (St.Petersburg) - Youth opportunities on Wikimedia
On July 18 there was an additional afternoon workshop, during which participants were greeted and addressed over video-conference connection by Nichole Saad of Wikimedia Foundation Education team, explored Wikipedia and were introduced to Wikipedia article contests. In the process Tatarstan President Rustam Minnikhanov dropped in during his visit to the forum grounds.
Hands-on part consisted of:
- finding and correcting typos or grammar errors in Russian Wikipedia,
- editing Tatar Wikipedia articles,
- playing WikiLinks (competing in faster hyperlink navigation to a specific article)
- using ContentTranslation functionality to create 42 new articles in Tatar.
- Photoes on Wikimedia Commons: Wiki-program of IT BILER FORUM 2019.
- IT BILER FORUM's Wiki-Program page on Wikimedia Russia wiki (in Russian).
- Video-interviews with Wikimedians:
- 8th Selet International Youth Education Forum (in Russian).
- IT BILER FORUM: over 2000 pupils, discussion sites with famous experts, topical workshops (in Russian).