CIS-A2K/Events/2017/Stall in Vijayawada Book Festival
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikipedia stall at Vijayawada Book festival 2017 is an event planned to get more reach to Telugu Wikipedia. Telugu Wikipedia community, CIS-A2K and NTR Trust collaborated to conduct the activity.
- Dates: 3-11 January 2017
- Venue: PWD Grounds.
- City: Vijayawada
- Vijayawada book festival is an annual event which generally receives one of the highest numbers of footfalls in India. It was often considered as 2nd largest book festival in Asia. The event also serves as cultural and literary discourse for which Telugu writers and intellectuals from India and abroad plans to visit.
- Considering the importance of the book festival, Telugu Wikimedia community planned to conduct Book festival in Vijayawada to increase reach and make more people aware of Telugu Wikimedia projects.
- To make people aware about Telugu Wikimedia projects and explain to them how to edit Wikipedia
- To engage in dialogue with readers. To understand what are the topics that they wanted to see in Wikipedia
- Stall organizers have taken a different approach to different kinds of visitors, according to the interest and willingness to edit Wikipedia.
- Explained what is Wikipedia and basics of Wikipedia for every interested visitor & gave pamphlets which explains about Telugu Wikipedia in a nutshell.
- For some of the visitors based on their willingness, helped them to create their account in Telugu Wikipedia and showed how to edit Wikipedia and what are the basics for a Wikipedia article.
- When a group of people gathered, a special demonstration about different Wikimedia projects that exist and how to contribute them & what is the idea behind those different projects, etc.,
- A user survey was rolled out which captured the details about interesting topics that they wanted to read in Telugu Wikipedia, etc.,
- Using live streaming, video uploading, photos and stories, event was captured in social media (Facebook).