This page is for planning, and later documenting, a strategic community consultation about the future of Wikisource work in India, which will be held in Kolkata, India on 24 November and 25 November 2018. The participants are expected to arrive at the venue on 23 November 2018 for day 0.
Indian community members have been active on Wikisource in many languages since the very beginning, as well as other Wikimedia projects. Some regional and language communities have grown and matured, and others have been struggling to engage contributors. In 2010, the Wikimedia Foundation adopted a strategy, following a significant movement-wide consultation and discussion, which identified India as the top strategic focus for the Foundation to "catalyse".
Although the strategy process benefited from the participation of a few Indian Wikimedians, the resultant "catalyst" strategy was not systematically discussed with the wider Indian community, as far as we know. The Foundation began executing that strategy, hiring the team that came to be known as India Programs, and later transitioning that team (with substantial changes in team personnel) into a partnership grant to the Centre for Internet and Society (CIS) in 2012.
However, impact in India has not been growing as much as had been envisioned during the 2009-2010 strategy process, and despite good will on the parts of WMF, Wikimedia India and CIS, it appears some individual contributors feel inadequately supported in terms relevant to them and in their preferred modes of engagement.
In summary, the current state of affairs in supporting the growth, health, and motivation of Wikisource volunteers in India leaves much to be desired. Recently, some specific developments in Google OCR, have led us at the CIS to decide we should attempt to facilitate, and hopefully rebuild, a shared vision for the future of Wikisource work in India. We intend to be open to any of a wide range of possible futures, with both formal and informal ways to create shared identity and purpose.
Difference between Tue Aug 1 2017 and Sun Oct 7 2018 of Indic Wikisource
|Page namespace (Pages of Books)||Main namespace (Article)|
|language||all pages||not proof.||problem.||w/o text||proofread||validated||all pages||with scans||w/o scans||disamb||percent|
The objectives of the consultation are:
- Share views and preferences on the most effective ways to pursue our shared vision of creating and sharing free knowledge in India and in the Indian languages (including English) around the world thruogh Indic Wikisource Project.
- Attempt to come to agreement on a roadmap for a future where our resources are better utilized, our volunteers are better served, and progress on our mission is more steadily attained.
We have selected one potential active volunteer from each wikisource community.
How were those delegates selected?
Focusing on active contributors with (ideally) a longer track record, to maximize the amount of experience and context in the room while retaining the legitimacy that can only come from including active contributors. That said, we did also invite a handful of less (or no longer) active contributors, if we found they have crucial context we would otherwise miss.
List of Participants
- User:Ananth subray (Kannada Wikisource)
- User:Bodhisattwa (Bengali Wikisource)
- User:Hrishikes (English Wikisource)
- User:Gurlal Maan (Punjabi Wikisource)
- User:gitartha.bordoloi (Assamese Wikisource)
- User:Pooja Jadhav (Marathi Wikisource)
- User:Pmsarangi (Oriya Wikisource)
- User:Shubha (Sanskrit Wikisource)
- User:Sushant_savla (Gujurati Wikisource)
- User:ranjithsiji (Malayalam Wikisource)
- User:अजीत कुमार तिवारी (Hindi Wikisource)
- User:Ramesam54 (Telugu Wikisource)
- User:Jayprakash12345 (Tech team Wikisource)
- User:Chinmayee Mishra (Oriya Wikisource)
Location will be decided as per practical reasons to do with community representation and ease of access. CIS-A2K will see to it that delegates from various communities and regions across India are funded and supported to travel to the location to participate.
Regenta Orkos Kolkata
621, Prantik Pally Road, Kasba, Ravindra Pally, Kasba, Kolkata,
West Bengal 700107
033 6602 9999
Agenda and Schedule
We are expecting all delegates on Friday,Nov 23th evening. This would allow people to take early flights in the morning of the 24th and still make it on time. The venue is no more than an hour's travel from the airport. We have asked the hotel to ensure transport for everyone coming from the airport, please contact us if you need any other support.
Friday, Nov 23rd
- 6pm to 9pm
- informal meetup of delegates.
Saturday, Nov 24th
- 9:30 am to 10:00 am: Wikisource: Better understanding, scope and future
- 10:00 am to 10:30 am: Wikisource stat
- 10:30 am to 11:00 am: Group activity 1
- 11:00 am to 11:20 am: Tea break
- 11:20 am to 12:50 pm: Wikisource tools, gadgets
- 1:00 pm to 1:40 pm: Lunch
- 1:40 pm to 3:10 pm: Partnership, content (books) relicense, scope and objective: brainstorming and roadmap
- 3:10 pm to 3:30 pm: Tea break
- 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm: Download/Upload/Offline Editing
Official session ends here
- 5 pm onwards: Knowledge sharing
Sunday, Nov 25th
- 7am to 9am
- breakfast at hotel restaurant
- 9am to 10.30am
- Session 4 --
- OTRS - by Jayanta Nath
- Wikisource Roadmap - Tanveer Hasan
- Institutional Partnrship - by Subodh Kulkarni
- 10.30am to 11am
- tea break
- 11am to 12.30pm
- Session 5 --
- Gujarati Wikisource Make possible - by Sushant Salva
- Group acivity -
- 1pm to 1.30pm
- lunch at hotel restaurant
- 1.30pm to 3.30pm
- session 6 --
- Group activity
- 3.30pm to 4pm
- tea break
- 4pm to 5pm
- 5pm onwards
- free time
- Stats -> https://tools.wmflabs.org/shrinitools/indic_ws_stats/
- Export to Various Formats -> https://tools.wmflabs.org/wsexport/tool/book.php
- Indic OCR -> https://tools.wmflabs.org/indic-ocr