CIS-A2K/Reports/CIS-A2K Quarterly Report 5/Stand-alone Wikimedia Projects
This page is under construction and we request for not making any changes until this notice is removed.
The biggest achievement for the Odia Wikimedia community during this quarter has been getting the Odia Wikisource going live from incubation. CIS-A2K has been privileged to be part of this success and congratulate all the Wikisourcers who made this happen. A campus program for engaging students and faculty at Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) that was started in the previous quarter by CIS-A2K was formally closed. By the end of the project 45 students and 9 faculty digitized 4 books on Odia Wikisource. 14th century Odia language classic "Odia Bhagabata" was converted to Unicode by Wikimedians based on the available text from Odia language resource portal Odia.org by collaborating with the portal. The encoding converter collaboratively designed by Odia Wikimedian Manoj Sahukar and CIS-A2K staffer Subhashish Panigrahi. 67 books from seven different notable authors were relicensed under CC-by-SA 4.0 license during this quarter. Needless to say, Odia Wikimedian Mrutyunjaya Kar played a significant role in acquiring permission from two of these authors. This has been the highest number of resources ever relicensed under a Creative Commons license to gear the open access movement in the Odia language. "Odia Wikisource Sabha 2014", a major public gathering for spreading the message about Odia Wikisource was collaboratively organized by the Odia Wikimedia community and CIS-A2K.
- Odia Wikisource went live!
- Odia Wikisource Sabha 2014: first public gathering of Odia Wikisource at Bhubaneswar
- First Odia campus program at Kalinga Institute of Social Science was closed formally.
- Odia Wikisource workshop organized in New Delhi on 14 December 2014, Event details here (in Odia).
- Odia Littérateur Ramakrushna Nanda's 4 Books Now Available Under a Creative Commons License
- Odia author Nirmala Kumari Mohapatra and several other Odia authors' 21 books relicensed under CC-by-SA 4.0
- Nineteen Books Published by Ama Odisha Relicensed under CC-by-SA 4.0
Bringing Tulu Wikipedia live
CIS-A2K as part of its 2014-2014 Stand-alone project plan initiated a small project to bring Tulu Wikipedia out of incubator. During Oct 2014, a workshop and edit-a-thon were conducted at Udupi. 27 persons participated in this event and added about 150 articles in 3 days. During Nov 2014 another workshop followed by edit-a-thon was conducted at Mangaluru. 24 persons participated in this event and added about 190 articles. There was a meetup of Tulu Wikipedians at Mangaluru in the month of Dec 2014. CIS-A2K took active part in initiating these activities and conducting training for the participants of workshops. Dr U B Pavanaja from the CIS-A2K team gave a presentation about Tulu Wikipedia, the need of it and about including Tulu in Unicode during the World Tulu Conference cum festival at Mangaluru in the month of Dec 2014. There was a stall of Tulu Wikipedia during this festival. CIS-A2K lead all these activities. The statistics by the end of the quarter is given below:
|Month||Edits per month||New pages||Bytes added||Editors per month|
- Total Number of articles (as on 10 Januray 2014): 781 (excluding the redirects)
- Total number of editors: 68 (with more than 10 edits)
The project is growing both in terms of content and community and the substantial growth is showing now.