Celtic Knot Conference 2020/Submissions/How Do You Solve a Problem Like the Maltese-language Wikipedia?
- Title of the submission
- How Do You Solve a Problem Like the Maltese-language Wikipedia?
- Type of submission
- Presentation (20-30min, live or pre-recorded)
- Author of the submission
- Toni Sant and Neville Borg
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Community Malta + University of Salford Digital Curation Lab
- Personal homepage or blog
Maltese-language Wikipedia (known as Wikipedija) contains around 3,500 articles, making it to just above 200th place in the rankings of most-populated language Wikipedias. Despite being the national language of Malta, an official language of the European Union, and an estimated half million native speakers, the Maltese-language Wikipedia is less active than that in formerly-extinct languages such as Cornish and Manx. The paucity and quality of the content make it the least popular EU language Wikipedia. Furthermore, Wikipedija faces various other challenges, some of them structural and administrative (such as the lack of active administrators and bureaucrats, and a poorly-maintained Mediawiki interface) and others social (the broader spectrum of the Maltese language's potential digital extinction, identified by the European Commission in light of its infrequent use in online communication). This presentation will reflect on efforts by Wikimedia Community Malta - a Malta-based Wiki User Group - to engage with Wikipedija in light of these challenges. Over the past five years, Wikimedia Community Malta has worked to develop a community of editors who actively contribute to Malta-related content, initially on the English-language Wikipedia, but increasingly through engagement with Wikipedija.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
Attendees will gain insight into the Maltese-language Wikipedia and ongoing work by Wikimedia Community User Group Malta to improve it.
- Theme of session
- Empowering wiki communities
- Slides or further information
- Slides from the proposed presentation will be available after Celtic Knot 2020. Meanwhile you can take a look at Wikimedia Community Malta's page about the Wikipedija language question.
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- —M@sssly✉ 13:39, 25 June 2020 (UTC)
- Frhdkazan (talk) 11:15, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- --Dans (talk) 14:48, 5 July 2020 (UTC)