- COVID-19 and the Wikimedia community
- Language of presentation
- Basque Wikimedians User Group
- Wikimedia Finland, Wikimedia Norway
- Odia Wikimedians User Group
This discussion panel addresses different initiatives taken in minority language contexts during the Covid-19 pandemic crisis related to free licensing and translation. The pandemic crisis has seen a rise on the internet activity related to media showing descriptions and/or guidelines meant to counter the spread of the pandemic, distributed mostly in main or official languages. This has sometimes prevented the reception of important information in mother and/or natural languages about the pandemic.
The design, translation and upload of media and graphics by wikimedia users could make the most of free licensing and collaboration to make up for publishing deficiencies in mother languages. It will also address opportunities opening for collaboration with governmental agencies and/or publishing outlets in minority languages based on free licensing. The panelists will review their activity, discuss the resources available, as well as the strenghts and weaknesses found in the process, and prospects opening in like situations for minority languages.
- Theme of session
- Empowering wiki communities
- Collaboration with cultural institutions
- Other: collaboration with language communities and government agencies
- Slides or further information