Celtic Knot Conference 2020/Submissions/Sámi placenames on Wikidata
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Submission no. C13
- Sámi placenames on Wikidata
- Jon Harald Søby
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Wikimedia Norge
- Personal homepage or blog
- I would like to talk about the newest part of Wikimedia Norge's project "Sámi Knowledge Online", which is adding all placenames in Sámi languages and the Kven language to Wikidata. The Norwegian Mapping Authority keeps an authorative list of placenames in Norway, including what language they're in. They have placenames in Norwegian, Northern Sámi, Lule Sámi, Southern Sámi, Skolt Sámi and Kven, and after matching their list with existing Wikidata items we will update those items to include the placenames in all applicable languages, and create new items for the places where no item exists yet. I will also give an update about Wikimedia Norge's Sámi project in general.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Attendees will learn about our methods for adding placenames to Wikidata, and the work going into bringing more Sámi knowledge online – and hopefully get some ideas or inspiration for projects they can do "back home".
- Theme of session
- Wikidata & collaboration with cultural institutions
- Slides or further information (optional)
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
Friendly space: Because we want to provide a great experience for all participants and foster collaboration, please keep these few guidelines in mind: let’s be respectful to each other, encourage participation and a positive atmosphere, be mindful of how our actions impact others, and feel free to ask for help at any time. Friendly Space Policy in full.