Chapters meeting 2009/Preparation/Wikimedia Australia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikimedia Australia - http://wikimedia.org.au/
- Brianna Laugher user:pfctdayelise blaugher@
- Liam Wyatt user:witty lama lwyatt@
PDF: media:WMAU slides for chapters meeting march 2009.pdf (commons page)
- January 2006: First discussion on meta
- March 2008: Recognised by WMF
- August 2008: Recognised by Australian govt department
- January 2009: First AGM (first elected committee)
- Current membership: ~50
- Membership fees: AU$40/year, $20 students
- Budget?: AUD 1.5k (≈ 770€)
Hot & Not...
- Contacts in museums, education, open source
- WP on highschool courses
- Govt's starting to like CC
- Widespread awareness of WP - huge public goodwill
- Digitally engaged society
- Increasing awareness of Chapter through media, conferences, contacts.
- No tax-deductible status
- No income stream
- No member 'benefits'?
- Institutions have restrictive culture
- Potential gov't censorship
- Not organised enough to take advantage of all our opportunities!!
1 YEAR (2009):
- Hold national "WikiConf" + Wikipedia Academy
- Establish WMAU in media, cultural institutions' consciousness
- Retain overall membership number
- WMF agreements on licensing and fundraising
- Create: merchandise, policies, blog, board manual, subcommittees...
- Financial sustainability
- Chapter-selected candidates for WMF Board decided & process approved
- Chapter licensing of logos clarified and fundraising agreement finalised
- Learn best-practices for 'managing members'
- Learn best-practices for non-profit policies & governance
- Learn best-practices for dealing with cultural institutions
- Corporate members & receiving payment for Wiki-services