Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Archive/Assist Wikimedians with crowdfunding
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Outside the scope of Community Tech
- Problem: Grants are difficult to administer, take time, and are often frustrating.
- Who would benefit: Those who can show they are acting in support of the Foundation's Mission.
- Proposed solution: Provide services to help Wikimedians set up their own fundraising outreach.
- More comments: I will finish this Wednesday, November 14
- Phabricator tickets: to be created if the proposal is selected
- Proposer: James Salsman (talk) 02:46, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
Working list of technologies:
- Wikidata and/or Wordnets
- WMF cloud services and/or Firebase
- Google Trends e.g. https://github.com/GeneralMills/pytrends
- note these are returned in (0...100) so they need to be de-normalized which is convoluted but tractable
- Modules for social media search and posting
- And probably some "wizard" like system for setting up searches and templates around a given fundraising goal
- Pattern-matching template for proposed responses
- Conservative approval filter
- E.g., never send without human review and the default should always be to not send without affirmative confirmation
- Modules for monitoring donation campaigns
- These likely might not strictly be necessary
- @James Salsman: I've looked at that diagram and don't understand what it wants to express. :( Is this about / related to Grants:Start? What exactly is "difficult to administer" and "frustrating", with regard to technical aspects? --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 00:38, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you, it goes from fundraising goals to search strategies to search results which are transformed into recommended tweets/posts etc. Patreon, Twitter, and Reddit are included as examples but I'd prefer it platform-neutral, so please give me until at least Friday to abstract it from that working diagram. There have been recent discussions of the difficulties in grants administration and program management. I will provide those by Wednesday. James Salsman (talk) 17:59, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
Hi James Salsman: The Community Tech team can work on discrete technical proposals; this proposal is asking for structural and policy changes that can't be addressed through the Wishlist Survey. I'm going to archive this proposal; thanks for participating in the survey. -- DannyH (WMF) (talk) 20:01, 15 November 2018 (UTC)