Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Archive/Multiblocks
< Community Wishlist Survey 2021 | Archive(Redirected from Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Anti-harassment/Multiblocks)Jump to navigation Jump to search
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: (citing from the Phabricator task) After partial blocks were introduced there may be reason for a user to have several blocks with different expiration dates. For example: User:Apples has been indefinitely blocked from editing `Neptune`. They then receive a 24 hour full-site block. When the full site block expires, they should continue to be blocked from `Neptune`. or User:Bananas is indefinitely blocked from editing `Mars` and from editing `Venus` until 2025. An admin wants to block them from `Saturn` for one month.
- Who would benefit: Administrators, anti-vandalism fighters and harassed users. With the introduction of partial blocks the maintenance of the blocks became significantly more demanding. Some examples of the emerging problems are listed above.
- Proposed solution: phabT194697#4490345 is a proposal, how it could work.
- More comments: The work on the phabricator task was esentially stopped in the early 2019 after WMF anti-harassment team declined to commit resources on it with the reason: The development of this project would be a massive time and resource investment for minimal impact. Perhaps Community Tech team would be willing to work on it?
- Phabricator tickets: T194697, T202673
- Proposer: Vachovec1 (talk) 18:35, 25 November 2020 (UTC)
- This sounds like a much needed feature in the lite of UCoC -Zblace (talk) 06:27, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- @Zblace: I take it that UCoC means Universal Code of Conduct? -- Luk talk 12:28, 1 December 2020 (UTC)
- Hi Vachovec1. Thanks for making this proposal. As you've noted, the Anti-Harassment Tools team declined this in favor of working on the Partial Blocks feature. That was primarily due to the very large undertaking this work would be. This Multiblocks wish is also out of scope for the Community Tech team to take on as part of the wishlist. For that reason, I'm archiving this wish as part of my role with Community Tech. In my role with the Anti-Harassment Tools team, I'm curious what block management issues you're having with Partial Blocks. Would you be open to starting a Phab task detailing your issues around Partial Blocks? I can't guarantee we will change/fix them but I'd be very happy to have the feedback. --AEzell (WMF) (talk) 20:45, 2 December 2020 (UTC)
- The "block management issue" is described in this proposal's motivation, as well as Community health initiative/Partial blocks/Multi-blocks (the Phabricator tasks are linked above). It is the inability to impose several partial blocks with different expiration on one user. --Matěj Suchánek (talk) 11:37, 5 December 2020 (UTC)