Explore Nigeria is a project to promote travel information and tourism in Nigeria by improving existing and creating new articles about cities, villages, geographical areas/regions, churches, monasteries, buildings, schools on the English Wikipedia and English Wikivoyage.
There exists a huge gap about African destinations on Wikipedia and Wikivoyage without any significant attempt at carrying out a complete overhaul and improvement. We are attempting to bridge the knowledge gap on travel information on the African continent and within African countries on Wikivoyage.
Our overall goal is to reduce the knowledge gap of travel information available on the English Wikivoyage for Nigerian destinations (States, Cities and Towns) and highlighting the tourism potential in the various destinations. We also intend to update and improve the quality of existing articles on the English Wikipedia and position the English Wikivoyage as a reliable travel advisory for travelling in Nigeria.
This is in line with the Wikimedia movement 2030 strategy recommendation of identifying topics for impact, and the following initiatives: list of high-impact topics, bridging content gaps and content initiatives in underrepresented communities.
- Raise awareness about Wikivoyage as a travel advisory in Nigeria.
- Create new and improve existing Wikipedia and Wikivoyage articles on African travel, geographic information, sports, cultural and tourist sites.
- Partner with organizations and bodies involved in African culture, travel and tourism towards showcasing, generating and promoting free knowledge about African culture, travel and tourism.
How to participate
Enroll on the Explore Nigeria Outreach Dashboard to track your contributions. (Outreach Dashboard)
Register for the onboarding and training sessions. (Registration link)
Sign up in the participants section on this page.
In order to ensure transparency and fairness, scoring in this competition would be quantitative; keeping in mind that all articles must meet Wikipedia and Wikivoyage standards for notability, quality and sourcing, as described in the rules declared in the following section. Any article may be disqualified at the judges’ discretion.
The scoring system for the winners would be as follows:
- One point (1.0) would be awarded for every new Wikipedia and Wikivoyage article.
- One point (1.0) for every 1000 bytes of content for the articles.
- Half a point (0.5) for every quality source or citation used in a Wikipedia article.
Results can be viewed here.
- Please read the rules very carefully before the contest commences.
- Articles must be in the mainspace by the end of the competition period.
- All entries are expected to be fully sourced, with no unsourced claims. Try to make the formatting consistent with dates and layout; clean, useful new entries are what the contest is about.
- It is important that before starting new entries, especially on the English Wikipedia, you take the time to ensure that articles meet notability guidelines and have the adequate coverage in reliable sources needed to be acceptable on Wikipedia.
- Articles should comply with the Wikivoyage:Quick contribution guide and Wikivoyage:Welcome, Wikipedians to be acceptable on Wikivoyage.
- Take extra care to avoid paraphrasing and copyright. While producing a lot of content, it is sometimes difficult to avoid sentences that do not resemble something in a source but it is important that the articles are without problems and will stick around on Wikipedia for a long time.
- No automated, semi-automated tools, scripts or manual templates to mass generate content are permitted for the contest. Any indication that editors are cheating by using a cookie-cutter template or script to mass-generate through lists may lead to disqualification.
- Start for entries: 15th December, 2021
- Deadline for entries: 31st January, 2022
- Results announcement: February, 2022
Winning prizes are
- 1st prize: Shopping Voucher: $250
- 2nd prize: Shopping Voucher: $200
- 3rd prize: Shopping Voucher: $150
- 4th prize: Shopping Voucher: $100
- 5th prize: Shopping Voucher: $80
- 6th prize: Shopping Voucher: $50
- 7th prize: Shopping Voucher: $30
Return flight ticket for overall winner.
To participate you just need to sign up in the participants section.
To add your name, edit this section and add '
#~~~~' without quotes to the bottom of the list, then publish changes.
- Paulboht (talk)
- LovelyChizzy (talk)
- Dammy Kaka (talk)
- Edriiic (talk)
- James Rhoda (talk)
- Ifedohlapo (talk)
- Adefanike (talk)
- Ridzaina (talk)
- Ogboinba) (talk)
- Fine acer (talk)
- Amiliciouz (talk)
- Omolarabasirat (talk)
- Dumzy006 (talk)
- JadePhenom (talk)
- Kylemaverick (talk)
- OTim75 (talk)
- MoeKray (talk)
- Vigil Shadrach (talk)
- La femme radio (talk)
- Semmy1960 (talk)
- Aderiqueza (talk)
- Onuoha Onyinye (talk)
- Pojo07 (talk)
- Osenibabalola0 (talk)
- Kojodavid (talk)
- Atibrarian (talk)
- O'femi Muiz (talk)
- B.Korlah (talk)
- Benbeezy1 (talk)
- Oyedepo Joshua (talk)
- SuperSwift (talk)
- Biowikician (talk
- ee nn yy (talk)
- Mijesty (talk)
- Obamie (talk)
- Icrochets (talk)
- Taoheedah (talk)
- Tesleemah (talk)
- Felixoye11 (talk)
- Tweetomz94 (talk)
- Aunty Okiki (talk)
- Okikiolajnr (talk)
- Prinz Ayanfe (talk)
- Mujeebah (talk)
- Kingaustin07 (talk)
- KachiJames001 (talk)
- Favourdare123 (talk)
- Ei'eke (talk)
- Sameeyi2021 (talk)
- CrazyMedic (talk)
- Hopilo12 (talk)
- Samliverj (talk)
- Sameeyi2021 (talk)
- Ojochide Faith (talk)
- Ola2ng (talk)
- Grace789 (talk)
- Pdaisy (talk)
- ReoMartins (talk)
- Kojoclicks (talk)
- Damy399 (talk)
- Adess22 (talk)
- Ruby0433 (talk)
- Lordgentual (talk)
- Mir koks (talk)
- Em-mustapha talk
- Prithee P (talk)
- Ibjaja055 (talk)
- Abdulrahman0044 (talk)
Only place entries created during the contest here. List the article and your username and place the article at the bottom of the list. Try to ensure that they are a minimum of 1 kb and have adequate sourcing.