Jump to content

Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017 round 1/Wikimedia Sverige/Proposal form

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki

Proposal by Wikimedia Sverige to support its annual plan with Template:Usamountrequested/2016-2017 round 1/Wikimedia Sverige.

Template:Summary/2016-2017 round 1/Wikimedia Sverige

Comment on Wikimedia Sverige's proposal here

Return to the community review page.

We ask that you please don't make any changes directly to this page after the proposal submission date, but comment on the discussion page.

If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.

  • Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
  • This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
  • This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
  • Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
  • Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
  • Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.

A few terms used in the form:

FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms


1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.

Wikimedia Sverige has grown quickly over the past few years and we are happy to now be able to reap the long terms fruits of the great overhaul of our strategies in 2015.

In 2017 and 2018 we aim to hone our performance in areas we are well vested in, like GLAM, education and technical development. We will finish our two biggest projects Wikispeech and Open Connected Heritage and we plan to continue both in two equally big sequel projects.

We have also identified a few areas where we feel there is room for improvement and where we have the ability to find solutions that can benefit both us and many other chapters. One of them is certain technical development, like making it easier to implement local language versions of the Tearoom. Another is well executed external communications, something that is crucial for raising awareness, getting more members, new project partners and investors.

Wikimedia Sverige is highly invested in bringing the Wikimedia community closer together, so in 2018 we will apply to host the 2019 Wikimania. To make sure that we are well prepared, we plan to host the Diversity Conference in 2017 and The Wikimedia Hackathon in 2018, or similar conferences.

2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
  • Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Sverige
  • Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
  • 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/17 - 12/31/18 (2 year multi-year funding.)
  • Currency requested: SEK
  • Name of primary contact: Anna Troberg, CEO

3. Amount requested.

Table 1

Currency requested US$
Total expenses for the upcoming year 7,534,874 (2017)
7,828,668 (2018)
881,580 (2017)
915,954 (2018)
APG funding requested for the upcoming year 2,950,000 (2017)
2,950,000 (2018)
345,150 (2017)
345,150 (2018)
Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year 2,616,000 (2016) 309,264 (2016)

4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
  • Last year we conducted a series of consultations. In May 2015 we personally invited active community members to answer a survey about our annual plans and strategy. We also made a wider survey to all our members in the chapter (there is a huge overlap with chapter members and active users in the community). This input was taken into the board's strategy review process in which a surrounding world analysis was made. In addition to that we invited to a meeting where a lot of ideas were collected that has guided the entire planning process. This work forms the basis for our strategy for the coming years, starting in 2016.
  • In August 2016 we had a meeting with our members to work on the Yearly plan for 2017 that will be designed in line with our strategy. Also non-participating volunteers were invited to comment and give feedback. In preparations the office had prepared new goals based on the experience during 2016. The thoughts and ideas from the members was gathered and the following day the board rewrote the goals for 2017. Worth pointing out is that this is the first year where the chapter has changed the bylaws so that the board can formally take the decision for next year’s annual plan and budget which prevent uncertainty and insecurity compared to the previous practice of the General Assembly voting about it in March every year (3 months into the work).

5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.

Financials: current year[edit]

The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).

Table 2

Financials for the current funding period
Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected
Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars
Revenues (from all sources) 7,568,400 885,502.80 3,975,000 465,075 7,013,400 820,567.80
Expenses 7,368,400 862,102.80 3,762,000 440,154 6,886,100 805,673.70

Table 2 notes:

  • The difference between the planned and the projected numbers is due to staff re-organisations and the fact that parts of projects have been pushed forward to 2017 following a longer hiring process than expected for the developer positions for Wikispeech and Open Connected Heritage.

Programs: upcoming year's annual plan[edit]

This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.

1. For each program, and overall
  • Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
  • Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)

Table 3

Shared metrics

  1. Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
  2. Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
  3. Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.

Grantee-defined metrics

  1. Blog posts: The number of blog posts and newsletters written by Wikimedia Sverige or blog posts written by guests on the Wikimedia Sverige blog. Used as a proxy for visibility.
  2. Diversity: The number of unique participants and/or organizers of activities conducted or supported by Wikimedia Sverige who belong to underrepresented genders in the Wikimedia movement in Sweden. These groups are defined as women and people identifying themselves as something other than male or female.
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages Blog posts Diversity
1 Access 3,300 (2017)

3,600 (2018)

340 (2017)

350 (2018)

550,000 (2017)

600,000 (2018)

20 (2017)

30 (2018)

2,000 (2017)

2,000 (2018)

2 Use 1,000 (2017)

1,100 (2018)

35 (2017)

40 (2018)

0 (2017)

0 (2018)

15 (2017)

20 (2018)

10 (2017)

10 (2018)

3 Community 1,750 (2017)

2,000 (2018)

275 (2017)

300 (2018)

3,300 (2017)

3,600 (2018)

35 (2017)

45 (2018)

300 (2017)

150 (2018)

4 Enabling N/A N/A N/A 5 (2017)

5 (2018)


6,700 (2018)

650 (2017)

690 (2018)

553,300 (2017)

603,600 (2018)

75 (2017)

100 (2018)

2,310 (2017)

2,160 (2018)

Table 3 notes:

  • The expected drop in Diversity between 2017 and 2018 is due an event we have planned on organising in the first year.

2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
  • The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
  • Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
  • Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.

1 Access

Logic Model for Access 2017.
Situation analysis

To increase the access to more freely licensed material is important for our community, our readers and for the society at large. This includes both free licensing of existing texts, media and data and creating new resources which are freely licensed from the outset.

One major benefit that local organizations bring to the movement is that they function as a focal point for different national organizations and individuals that have interesting collections or expertise that they would like to share. The chapter can function as a bridge between them and the community and facilitate some of the demands of practical work which may require specific expertise, long term commitments or cost efficient solutions etc.

Wikimedia Sverige is currently in a unique position in Sweden to initiate cooperations and convince organizations to contribute to free knowledge. This is because the Wikimedia movement has some extremely popular projects, and through the methodologies we have developed in recent years, various institutions can gain exposure, visibility, use and contribute to public education (a stated goal for many of them) when cooperating with us.

These benefits, however, are not automatically clear to everyone which is why we need to explain and communicate to stakeholders that they can indeed benefit from working with Wikimedia's projects specifically and free knowledge generally, and we need to train and educate as to how to go about arranging for this multiplier effect of free knowledge.

We have learnt that getting access to an increasing number of free resources takes time and requires a process of discussing and explaining what they are and what the best practice is for implementation. Stakeholders are in different stages as to their awareness and knowledge of free licenses; to most the concept is completely new and to a few it’s already part of their core policies.

We target individuals as well as organisations with our outreach and training, so that individuals have the skills to contribute and the organisations can set up policies and routines on the institutional level to harness the skills and competences without relying too heavily on individual members of staff. The two are closely interconnected.

The individual engagement of participants results in demystifying Wikipedia editing and the use and quality of freely licensed resources, all the while contributing expertise to Wikimedia projects, in their professional capacity as faculty members, researchers, students or GLAM staff etc. We know that only a small number of these participants go on to eventually join the community, so the main way to continue contributing is as part of organised efforts from the institution in partnership with us or independently organised.

We have identified two different ways that Wikimedia Sverige effectively could contribute to this:

  • People contribute to the Wikimedia projects within their institutional frameworks, it could be GLAM staff, researchers or students.
  • Resources created and owned by an institution are put under a free license and can later be included in our projects.

The chapter has over the years gained a lot of experience in working with GLAM, the educational sector and governmental agencies at different levels with access to their material and expertise.

In Sweden, a few larger institutions within the GLAM sector have come a long way in their thinking around free license and are taking a leading role and inspiring others. Many have indicated their willingness to add data or media to the different Wikimedia projects and engage their staff with writing but concrete help is continuously needed as staff changes and the MediaWiki software is updated. There have been a growing interest amongst GLAMs to cover our costs to give staff trainings and with batch uploads. This enhance our cooperations and adds great resources to our projects. There are large grants in Sweden and Europe for digital preservation of cultural heritage that is possible for the Chapter to receive, in partnership with these GLAMs to cover some of the associated costs. At the same time many smaller GLAM institutions have only recently started thinking about what free licensed material mean and are lacking knowledge about the issues and need more information and time to become partners.

In the last few years, we have also gained more experience with internationally oriented GLAM work where we use our experience from the Swedish context and adapt it to the context of other countries where there are no, or limited Wikimedia presence. We have also tried to work more closely with other Wikimedia affiliates as they have good local contacts with GLAM institutions with important collections while we have some expertise concerning batch uploads which many other Wikimedia affiliates are missing (hindering their possibilities to add new collections to the Wikimedia projects). Our intention is to enhance their capabilities rather than taking over. From these contacts with other chapters we have learned a lot and been inspired to use some of their ideas. We have seen that there is a role to fill here and that our approach has been appreciated from different Wikimedia affiliates.

In our work with GLAM institutions, we have encountered problems in developing partnerships due to limitations in the MediaWiki software, or other open source tools. One missing piece is the option to include 3D objects in our projects. 3D scanning, as a method to digitally preserve historical artifacts, is becoming more and more popular in Sweden, and we would like to see the MediaWiki software keep up with this so that we can join different projects and help establish new standards and best practices. Other features we have seen a need for in our GLAM work include integration of rectified historical maps (as a time slider), and better OCR and user friendliness for Wikisource so that e.g. large newspaper collections can be easily integrated and used as sources on Wikipedia. We believe there to be possibilities to find external funding for development of at least one of these extensions and with the integration of new GLAM collections of either 3D objects, historical maps or archival documents and/or newspapers.

Within the educational sector, many educators in Sweden have an idea that they want to contribute by creating Wikipedia assignments for their students and the last few years we have seen increasingly more educators trying out Wikipedia’s pedagogical tools, but more work is needed in order for educators to feel comfortable with the culture on Wikipedia and to plan for the whole implementation of the teaching and make it recurring, which is necessary for scaling. Recently we have seen a very positive development with the national organizations involved in educational development and training for educators engaging with us in different ways. There has also been positive signs from teachers in minority languages to develop Wikipedia assignments around translations. This has the potential to add more diversity to the group of student editors and increase the number of language versions of Wikipedia where our programs have a positive effect.

We have seen an increased awareness from research oriented organizations that they can contribute with their expertise in an effective way, aligned with their objectives to keep the public informed and educated. Many universities now have ongoing work or have started developing plans for how to systematically contribute to Wikipedia. For example there are now an increased interest from PhD programs to include Wikipedia training as part of their studies. This is a chance to affect the thinking of a large group of future researchers, topic experts, and in many cases educators at the same time. One strategic target for this work is training programs for teachers.

At the intersection of GLAM and education, the Museum Educators in a number of institutions are working on developing school programs to engage classes and students through online tools by developing OERs. We have a great opportunity here if these resources are connected to us as the GLAMs very actively promote them to schools, giving us a lot of visibility. The GLAM is happy as they get assistance developing new and innovative OERs and it is a natural continuation of the work we earlier have done with other parts of the organization.

For the first time in a few years we have received requests about Wikipedians in Residence in different organizations. However, the Chapter has not yet developed a procedure around this which limits our ability to engage in these type of joint partnerships effectively.

For the last few years we have been supporting the advocacy work done on the European level and we are happy with this coordination and has experienced a lot of value with the sharing of ideas, material and methodologies. However, we believe there are lots of things left to do and that there is a great value in continuing to build on this previous work. Thus we have increased our part of the funding of these efforts significantly. The Chapter has also increased the focus on national lobbying, especially around open data and Freedom of Panorama. The focus on open data is because we know there to be a large amount of interesting and high quality data to include in our projects and we have seen in a number of indexes that Sweden is falling behind in this area. The governmental agencies has only slowly begun adopting open data, however most of them have no plans in place and there is a momentum where the chapter has the opportunity to sway them into making good choices from the outset. Because of our position as an end user with a very broad scope of what information is possible to include we are in a good position to argue for the importance of open data. The Wikipedia brand opens doors that are closed for other like minded organizations.

Freedom of Panorama is under threat in Sweden after a negative interpretation by the Supreme Court around the right to use images of public works of art online. This is a terrible development that is going in the opposite direction than what is happening in the EU today. We do however believe that there is an opportunity to update the legislation.

The chapter's network has grown substantially over the years and we have noticed that the value of having this network is that we spend less time on looking for relevant events, less travel costs, efficient and smoother project development, and we can benefit from already established channels of communications to reach our target audiences. This is something we obviously would like to see continue.

Desired change
  1. The chapter shall increase the knowledge about free licenses and increase access to free resources.
  2. The chapter shall promote the increased use of free licenses.
  3. The chapter shall act to get more experts and educational institutions to actively contribute and for them to integrate the work in their internal methodologies.
  4. The chapter shall be more active internationally and share and learn to and from other movement affiliates.
Capabilities and opportunities to change the situation

The Chapter will continue to build on the work carried out in previous years. We are prepared and the long term investments we have done in networking, development of instructional material and development of inhouse expertise etc. is bearing fruit. The fact that some of our major projects are spanning across the calendar year is a real strength as we have continuity and not all our projects are initiated at the beginning of the year.

Our work with GLAM staff and their collections has given us a good reputation amongst partners and we continue to get many requests (often with offers of having our work financed by the GLAM). We have the knowledge, expertise and material needed to keep on top of these requests and help more GLAM institutions in Sweden to bring their collections and expertise online. As our group of team members have grown we expect to be able to scale participation and activities even further in the coming years. We also expect to work with librarians in 2017 as part of the international #1lib1ref campaign.

The project Connected Open Heritage continues Q1 and Q2 in 2017, which give us a strong foundation to continue our international GLAM work. Our experience and network from this work and from our previous work in Sweden puts us in a good position to continue to build on this long term. There are good indications that we will find external funding for continued efforts also for 2017-2018. For this to be possible we believe that technical development of GLAM relevant MediaWiki extensions will be a crucial part. As we now have MediaWiki development experience amongst staff we believe that we will have good opportunities to onboard another developer for this work in the future (since we can train them internally, the pool of candidates to select from becomes much bigger).

We have been involved in internationally oriented GLAM projects run by different partners for years and there are a few new opportunities for the coming years. For example an EU funded project that will create sound recordings for Wikimedia Commons, and EU funded project around water data and a pan-Nordic projects around historical maps around batch uploads and/or technical development to create an integrated time slider to showcase historical maps in Wikipedia.

Our possibilities to include Wikipedia in the educational sector is better than ever. We have recently initiated partnerships with some of the central actors in Sweden’s educational system. And they have adopted our point of view regarding OERs and the value of utilizing web tools and new methodologies to modernize the educational system. Thanks to this we are reaching more and more educators and training programs for teachers. We do however see many possibilities to further improve our work and increase our impact – not the least to utilize the power of the large diasporas that are studying in Sweden. Our pilot projects with minority language teachers recently and with SFI from earlier years, has had a positive impact and we aim to continue with these types of partnerships in the future. We are however missing a couple of tools in our toolbox: an adapted version of the Program and Events Dashboard and an online course about how to use Wikipedia are two examples. The coming years we intend to work to include them in the toolbox.

The academia is also continuing to show a strong interest to work with us and we have now established support for PhD programs, something we have been hoping to do for years. Early career experts who learn about the value of sharing their research on open platforms can help change the way academia prioritizes different resources long term.

Museum Educators is a group of GLAM professionals we have not engaged with previously, but in 2016 we have had two different projects where different museums has participated and developed materials and activities in their school programs – in which Wikipedia has played a key part. The projects have been a positive experience and we developed our methodologies to work with this group. As we have staff members who have expertise in education and in GLAM work, we can create a small internal team and engage with the educators at different GLAMs. We expect this work to continue and expand in the coming years.

The Chapter has previously supported Wikipedians in Residence projects, most recently John Cummings at UNESCO (as part of the Connected Open Heritage project) and Carl Fredrik Sjöland at the Swedish Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Assessment of Social Services (SBU), but is missing a strategy, ways of evaluating and the needed documents (standardized contracts etc.). This prevents us from quickly and effectively engage with new institutions. Work done by other Chapters such as WMUK will serve as inspiration when we initially develop the missing pieces and we intend to initially try out with one or two WiRs and possibly scale it further in later years. We hope to continue to engage with both UNESCO and SBU also in 2017 and learn and build from these experiences.

To ensure that laws and regulations are not limiting or destructive to the projects we need to monitor policy developments and relevant fields, and possibly advocate for changes. This advocacy work means that we need to work together with politicians to communicate the consequences of different decisions and explain the questions we care for.

Because of the Supreme Court’s negative interpretation of the right to add images of public works of art online, we are in a very special place to argue for Freedom of Panorama. Being one of the parties in the Supreme Court case is both a strength and a weakness. It is a strength as people are upset and want to join our side and it is clear to most that our intentions was to support artists and the art by giving them more visibility. In some cases it could be a weakness as we are not seen as neutral. From what we have seen so far in media reporting we have strong support from both the media and from many other actors featured in the reports. Hence, we believe that we will be able to find a group of partners willing to openly speak out about the need for new updated laws. After forming an alliance we will actively work on influencing the Swedish parliamentarians and also keep pressure on the European level.

We need to grow our network to include new representatives, and at the same time manage our existing relationships with those who already have taken some of the necessary steps towards releasing materials under a free license. We have come to realize that it is crucial to support the forerunners, since they lead the change and others follow their example. An efficient way to do this is to apply for external funding in partnership with the institutions, as it proves general interest in their free materials from grant makers, credits their efforts and results in the material being put to use on Wikimedia projects efficiently. As different organizations work at different pace, the work to increase the amount of resources available for Wikimedia's projects is both about continuing the work done in previous years and work on a change for the future.

Activities 2017
  1. The Value of Free Geographical Data 2015, open data advocacy
  2. Public Art – Open Data 2016, open data advocacy
  3. This is My Area 2016, home language classes, GLAM pedagogues
  4. WFD data to Wikidata 2016, open data
  5. Making LSH available 2016, batch uploads
  6. Connected Open Heritage, international GLAM work, externally financed for at least half the year
  7. GLAM 2017, training and events for CMS and Working Life Museums, batch uploads of media and data
  8. Work With Sounds 2017, EU project that will be initiated late during the year
  9. Historical Maps 2017, a small externally funded project, possibly in the form of a pan-Nordic project
  10. Wikipedia in Education 2017, PhDs and faculty, teacher education programs, school classes in and minority language classes, adaption of the Program and Events Dashboard, planning for online course.
  11. GLAM Educators 2017, pilot with a new specialist group
  12. Wikipedian in Residence 2017, development of routines and organizational capacity and a couple of pilots, WFD Data to Wikidata 2017 may provide some external financing
  13. Advocacy 2017, cost of joint EU lobbying efforts, Freedom of Panorama in Sweden
Activities 2018
  1. Connected Open Heritage 2018, international GLAM work, possible technical development of 3D and 360 photo extensions for MediaWiki (if financed this will demand another developer to be hired and trained or the involvement of subcontractors), training of volunteers regarding digitization of cultural heritage
  2. GLAM 2018, training and events for CMS and Working Life Museums, batch uploads of images and data
  3. Work With Sounds 2018, participation in an EU project
  4. Historical Maps 2018, a large scale project around batch uploads and/or technical development
  5. Wikipedia in Education 2018, PhDs and faculty, teacher education programs, school classes in and minority language classes, adaption of the Program and Events Dashboard, running online course.
  6. GLAM Educators 2018, increasing the scale of the project if successful
  7. Wikipedian in Residence 2018, 2-3 WiRs active
  8. Advocacy 2018, cost of joint EU lobbying efforts, Freedom of Panorama in Sweden, open data (and possibly FoP if it isn’t solved)

These are the goals for 2017 that the Board had approved. Based on the experience of 2017 some of these might be updated or changed for 2018 (such as adjusted numbers) but they do indicate the general direction for the coming two years.

Program Smart goals 2017 How to evaluate Notes
Access Enrich the Wikimedia projects with 25 new resources, through the creation and distribution of materials and by providing support and performing batch uploads Listings in on-wiki tables as they happen As resources we count things such as image collections, OERs, data sets etc.
150 identified subject experts contribute to the Wikimedia projects with at least 1 productive edit each, through the dissemination of information, maintaining relationships or arranging thematic edit-a-thons Listings in on-wiki tables as they happen and in a closed document for privacy reasons Identification can be via user names systematically connected with the institution, special user templates showing the connection to an institution, registration in a Wikiproject, or possibly through personal knowledge etc.
Involve 15 courses in the Wikipedia Education Program, through educating motivated teachers and providing expertise on the Wikipedia tools for education Program and Events Dashboard This includes the Wikimedia projects, translatewiki.net and Wikimini, according to the principle that we train educators to use and create free content as a part of the pedagogical process and classroom activity.
To increase the use of free licenses ensure that 15 organisations clearly license their resources under free licenses, through workshops and support with information aimed at staff within the organisations Listings in on-wiki tables as they happen An organisational unit with self-governing power is included here, however, units that have been included previous years are not. By clearly licensed, we mean that an upload of these resources to the Wikimedia projects would be undisputed.
Work actively to nurture and develop the relevant networks and contacts with people who can influence license choice of material in order to safeguard the topicality of the issue. This is achieved, in addition to regular activities, through active participation in at least 10 new events and at least 10 new direct contacts with content owners and organizations Listings in on-wiki tables (events) and in a closed document (contacts, for privacy reasons) as they happen

2 Use

Logic Model for Use 2017.
Situation analysis

The Wikimedia projects are well-used in Sweden. A survey showed 63% of people aged 16-85 say they use Wikimedia projects. It is likely that many more use without being aware of it and we think it proves both a lack of awareness and a lot of potential users remaining. By increasing awareness and knowledge about Wikimedia's different projects, more people can leverage the possibilities that free knowledge affords; it increases the opportunities for the chapter to form valuable partnerships; it boosts the chances of recruiting new volunteers to increase the volunteer base. If projects are used by more people and in more settings it will stimulate and motivate the already active volunteer community as their efforts and time has impact on communities worldwide.

In terms of how Wikimedia users value, trust and rate the quality of the projects, we have anecdotal evidence from Sweden that this is highly dependent on the context. Many people officially state that Wikipedia requires caution on the part of the reader, however this advice is not realised with many readers. The Chapter has previously been involved in a few studies concerning attitudes of specific groups of users, although we have only just scratched the surface in this matter.

In order to increase use of the projects, we want to ensure that as many people as possible are aware of them and that they have the skills to use the resources efficiently for their purposes. Furthermore, we want to ensure that the projects have high usability for as many groups of readers as possible.

To make it possible to use all the projects and give our users the best possible experience, it is important to ensure a user friendly interface. The Wikimedia projects are in many ways easy to use for someone who needs assistance to access written text — due to their stripped design and following Internet standards, external tools often work well. However, access to external tools is not available for all, due to costs, language etc. Built in tools that the users can help improve would benefit everybody with these needs, regardless where they are in the world. For example, up to 25% of the population may be better served through a text-to-speech interface to maximize their learning, but today that solution might be out of reach for many users for economical reasons or because no solution work for their language or a number of other different reasons. On the global Wikimedia scale, more than 100 million users could potentially benefit from a better interface. In Sweden, the work for increased accessibility online has been a state priority for a number of years and there is world class expertise in the country which can be drawn upon. The Chapter has been working with some of them during 2016 to develop a solution called Wikispeech.

Other important aspects of user friendliness is keeping bugs on the Wikimedia projects to a minium, as bugs can cause confusion or frustration and that different error messages and buttons are translated into the user’s preferred language. To solve bugs, software developers need to find out about them as soon as possible, and the identified problem need to be described properly so they can efficiently work to solve them.

Through last year's work done in Wikispeech and the Connected Open Heritage projects, we have met with a number of people involved in humanitarian aid or in global development and come to realize the many possibilities of working together to bring our free educational resources to people who need them the most. Sweden has a long history of active development work on the global scene and many organizations in the country has very well developed operations in numerous countries around the globe that have shown interest to work with the Wikimedia movement in different ways.

Desired change
  1. The chapter shall promote increased use of the Wikimedia projects and free knowledge.
  2. The chapter shall promote high usability of the Wikimedia projects.
Capabilities and opportunities to change the situation

To reach new audiences we need to showcase the strengths of the projects. The Chapter therefore started investing more in external communications in the last couple of years, with a very positive increase in our reach. We intend to solidify these efforts and continue to scale. First we will clarify what our detailed communication goals are, followed by creating a developed communications strategy for all our operations and more focused work concerning our use of social media, press releases, op-eds and blog posts etc. Our website will be a much more active platform where we can guide new interested organizations, members, volunteers, journalists, and members of the general public.

Increasing the awareness about the projects is the first task, then improve understanding of the projects with different groups. To improve our method and insight we first intend to develop metrics for evaluation and in the second year continue researching and surveying attitudes from different user groups, conducted in part by ourselves but also in partnership with researchers and others.

Some groups have knowledge and interest in the projects but a limited ability to use them for different reasons and we will continue the technical work to improve usability of the Wikimedia projects for people who need support for reading in order to access written text. In the past several years, Wikimedia Sverige staff has gained experience from MediaWiki development projects and in 2016, with a group of partners, we created the basic functionality for Wikispeech, a text-to-speech solution for MediaWiki. This is a major undertaking and we expect to reach a Beta functionality for Swedish, English and Arabic by the middle of 2017. We already have very strong indications that this will be followed by further financial support to reach full activation of the extension (i.e. solve bugs and problems in order to gain community support), and for a pilot study aiming to investigate what to develop next during 2018 and onwards (we have already indicated different options and the funders have indicated a strong interest to support some of them, depending on the conclusion of the pre-study).

As the Chapter constantly interacts with groups of new users who use the software in ways different to experienced users, we often discover problems and bugs which have not been reported before. As many users say that it is complicated and boring to report the bugs, the chapter can act as a bridge between users and the developers and immediately file bug reports. Only when bugs are known can development efforts start towards ensuring usability. The same goes for the technical translations of different error messages and other information in the software where targeted work often are needed and where the Chapter through targeted events and efforts can be part of the solution.

From engaging with representatives from the humanitarian aid sector, the Chapter has learnt about the need for more educational material and better maps in crisis situations. However, humanitarian aid workers have limited awareness and knowledge about the opportunities free knowledge and OERs can provide. We know that even a limited amount of invested resources in this field can reach very far and believe there are good opportunities to find support for different joint projects with actors in this field. The funding for writing an EU application allows us to formulate a first in-depth plan and a concrete project and identify suitable partners in 2017. During 2017, we will create targeted material for this specific sector about how they can use Wikimedia resources in their projects, organize and/or take part in a few events to broaden our network and work to convince some of the actors to release material under a free license. This work will be scaled up in 2018 where we will work on joint applications with other organizations active in the field.

Activities 2017
  1. Visibility Making 2017, develop a way of measuring visibility, active communication efforts in a number of channels
  2. Trust Making 2017, create a plan around measuring trust
  3. Wikispeech 1, finalizing the work during the first half of 2017
  4. Wikispeech 2, prestudy for work done 2018-forward with continuous development for full activation of the text-to-speech solution
  5. Bug Reporting and Translation 2017, reporting of bugs and other issues, translation events and targeted translation efforts to ensure quality
  6. Knowledge in Crisis Situations 2017, Humanitarian OpenStreetMap activities, research
  7. EU Application for HOT, application for EU funded project related to crowdsourced humanitarian aid
Activities 2018
  1. Visibility Making 2018, active communication efforts in a number of channels
  2. Trust Making 2018, conduct measures of the trust from different user groups
  3. Wikispeech 2, development of the solutions identified in the pre-study in 2017
  4. Bug Reporting and Translation 2018, reporting of bugs and other issues, translation events and targeted translation efforts to ensure quality
  5. Knowledge in Crisis Situations 2018, Humanitarian OpenStreetMap activities, Kiwix, research

These are the goals for 2017 that the Board had approved. Based on the experience of 2017 some of these might be updated or changed for 2018 (such as adjusted numbers or implementing developed metrics) but they do indicate the general direction for the coming two years.

Program Smart goals 2017 How to evalute Notes
Use To inform the public about Wikimedia projects and free knowledge media relations are core. This is achieved through active work with press releases, opinion articles, commentaries, newsletter and presence on social media. During the year, a set of well defined metrics for media activities will be developed and the measured media presence will increase by 10% Developed metric published on-wiki and used in the 2018 goals. MyNewsDesk and on-wiki list for media mentions and social media presence.
To increase awareness of the usage and trust, clearer measurement methods for how the Wikimedia projects are used, in general and by specific user groups, will be developed during the year Measurement methods published on-wiki and used in the 2018 goals.
To decrease the number of bugs in the software and increase clarity all identified and verified bugs shall be reported on Phabricator within one week of being encountered and critical system messages will be translated. The result is monitored annually Bug list in an on-wiki table and staff-account activity on translatewiki.net Software which is considered is MediaWiki extensions in use on the Wikimedia project or on translatewiki.net. This is done with the priority order: bugs, erroneous translations, untranslated messages.
To make content available for more people the Wikispeech extension shall be activated as a beta function on three language versions of Wikipedia before the end of the year and perform an investigation for the future development through a pilot study List on MediaWiki.org of the projects which have activated the extension, or where they are in the process, and a pilot report for continued development submitted to funders Swedish, English and Arabic language Wikipedia are the initial targets.

3 Community

Logic Model for Community 2017.
Situation analysis

The different project communities in Sweden are quite positive towards technological solutions, such as advanced templates, bots and Wikidata. However, there are only a handful power users who understand them so there is a need for more users to enhance their capabilities. For the past few years, we have provided this kind of technical support, and based on the feedback it is much appreciated. At the same time as some changes and adjustments have been appreciated there have been a lack of interest, or straight out negative feedback, on many of the new MediaWiki extensions that has been created in the last years – often other priorities have been voiced by volunteers. From the exciting work done by Wikimedia Deutschland and WMF around community requested technical developments, we think there is a lot to be learnt and improvements to be made which would be hugely popular with volunteers. In Sweden, we now have a small team of developers with knowledge about different parts of the MediaWiki software and we are interested to hear what the community would prioritize.

We also see that many community members engage in various events and activities in order to add more high quality material to the projects. Their efforts are limited by travel, catering or venue costs, or the need for high quality photographic equipment or perhaps media accreditation. All of these factors may cause volunteers to give up on their ideas. Having an official organization making a request opens doors and when an organization making the investment the financial risks for the individual is removed.

Economical and technical support is important but to keep people inspired, engaged and to increase learning it is also important to organize community building events where volunteers can meet, discuss, share ideas and knowledge, and plan for the future together. This is important both for chapter activities (to keep interest up and costs down) and for the projects – as an in-person meeting quickly can solve misunderstandings. We believe that this is a good way of getting volunteers, who currently are not that active, more involved.

We know from previous studies that the demographics of the Wikipedia community is relatively homogeneous regarding gender. However, the activities we organize engage a more diverse group of participants than the editing community, as well as bringing quality content to the projects but new editors rarely enter the core community. Creating some more tools and venues to facilitate the transition to becoming an active editor has been worked on by the Chapter for the last few years.

In Sweden there have been a large influx of immigrants during the last year. Many people in this group bring great knowledge and important experiences to the Swedish community. We have the opportunity to do outreach, boost engagement, develop partnerships, valuable skills and improve integration. From such partnerships we believe we have opportunities to add relevant topics and quality content to Wikimedia projects.

The Swedish language community is also fairly small, where the core of very active users are down in the one hundreds. This has been quite stable over time, judging from the official statistics.

Desired change
  1. The chapter shall support active users with different resources to improve their efficiency and involvement.
  2. The chapter shall promote an inclusive climate and low barriers of entry for new users.
Capabilities and opportunities to change the situation

Over the years we have had many projects aimed at community support. From this work we have learned what the most fruitful ones are and have developed methodologies. The technology pool that we have is quite mature and well used and only need minor updates and we have started with local branches of the tech pool with basic equipment (runned by local volunteers) and we will continue building on this success. We have also seen a very positive impact with support for the volunteer community members to get media accreditation for different events. We believe that there is an opportunity here to also attract new volunteers by suggesting their participation at specific events to take photographs, i.e. at music festivals etc.

The Chapter now has a small group of developers who can assist the community with technical development, something which has been requested. In 2017 we aim to create a structure and method, based on the successful work spearheaded by Wikimedia Deutschland and Wikimedia Foundation and then to engage in a first small pilot development project, with the intention to scale the program in 2018. In 2018 we will also aim to organize a hackathon for the developer community, possibly the Wikimedia Hackathon (that will function as a test run before our application for Wikimania 2019) to solve identified MediaWiki issues. As a step towards greater exchange between chapters, we will extend an opportunity for our neighboring chapters in the Nordic and Baltic region to take part in the execution of the hackathon. Exactly how is to be decided, but inspired by WMDE:s work with the Wikimedia Conference, we are specifically looking at the possibility to offer some kind of internship as a way of exchanging knowledge and experience.

We expect to continue to support a number of recurring events for volunteers in different cities in Sweden in the next years, which will help build a strong community and engage newcomers. The chapter can support them in different ways, e.g. with communication, material and covering direct costs for venues and catering etc. Time and time again we hear that these sorts of meetups are a great way to increase the sense of belonging to the community and that they are great ways to quickly discuss and iterate ideas without the frustration of misunderstandings common in written communication. A new concept in Sweden is the Wikipedia Camp, that was successfully organized in 2016, that we will continue to support if the community is interested in organizing it again.

We continue our work for increased diversity, by continuously organizing small scale events to keep volunteers engaged. We will also organize the Diversity Conference to learn from other movement affiliates and share our experience internationally and create visibility for this work in Sweden. As with the planned hackathon 2018, we we will extend an opportunity for our neighboring chapters in the Nordic and Baltic region to take part in the execution of the conference, possibly through internships. Furthermore we have activated the Teahouse on the Swedish language version of Wikipedia and will clear the last remaining technical issues. In 2017 we will offer support to other language versions which might want to activate it, when we still has a good recollection of the issues we struggled with ourselves. We intend to work to include more women, more people from the LGBTQ communities, more people from other language communities living in Sweden and more senior citizens through different outreach activities and cooperations. We have seen a great interest in our diversity efforts and we also see many possibilities to find further economic funding for this type of work. We recognise its importance to the Wikimedia projects as a whole and its potential to increase visibility and reach new groups of people. In 2018 we will build on our previous experiences, the outcome of the 2017 Diversity Conference and the attention and visibility it has brought us, to develop our long term diversity work through new projects and new project partners.

In 2015-2016 we had a small pilot with a photo hunt for a group of immigrants in connection to Wiki Loves Monuments. We have opportunities to find external funding to form new partnerships with these communities in Sweden in 2018.

We believe the different Wiki Loves initiatives are a good way of attracting a wide variety of new users to the projects in a fun and easy way. We are especially keen on adding Earth and Food as new contests the coming years. Our statistics from Wiki Loves Monuments over the years show that it still attracts new users and that the diversity in these groups are higher than in the community at large. By trying these new themes we believe that we can tap into a new user base.

Since the absolute number in the community is quite small, even small positive outcomes from our projects stand a good chance of achieving relatively large impact in the community. There will be huge synergy effects with the work we do within education and GLAM-institutions regarding increased diversity in the community since we engage a, by default, more diverse group of participants. Supporting welcoming and friendly spaces where new users can interact with experienced users in a productive way will increase the chances of a growing and more diverse community.

To engage the communities and enable an exchange of ideas we are planning to organize Wikimedia conferences. Our intention is to organize the Diversity Conference in 2017, the Wikimedia Hackathon in 2018 and Wikimania in 2019 as the grand finale. The events in 2017 and 2018 will strengthen the event teams abilities and build our knowledge about venues, sponsors etc. before Wikimania. If one of them wouldn’t happen, all of the events are interesting and valuable in themselves and well worth doing, but we see that this continuation of activities will help us to get the most out of them. Some seed funding for the organization of the first two events is included in the APG budget, but these are dependent on the Event Grants from the WMF and support from external sponsors.

Activities 2017
  1. Community Support 2017, technology pool, media accreditation etc.
  2. A Community for Everybody 2017, Diversity Conference, training members, participation and activities around LGBTQ-Pride, working with immigrant associations, retired people.
  3. Wiki Loves * 2017, Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Food, a project financed by Arvsfonden with a focus on engaging refugees with photography
  4. Development Support 2017, technical support with Teahouse for other language versions, technical support for the volunteer community (establishing a concept and work on a small development project), collect ideas for next year's MediaWiki hackathon, BOT Academy 2017 (international event)
Activities 2018
  1. Community Support 2018, pool of technology, media accreditation etc.
  2. A Community for Everybody 2018, building on previous experiences and the Diversity Conference to further the work with training of members, participation and activities around Pride, working with immigrant associations, retired people, creating learning patterns.
  3. Wiki Loves * 2018, Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Food, a project financed by Arvsfonden with a focus on engaging refugees with photography
  4. Development Support 2018, MediaWiki hackathon (with a BOT Academy) technical support for the volunteer community (with at least two development projects)

These are the goals for 2017 that the Board had approved. Based on the experience of 2017 some of these might be updated or changed for 2018 (such as adjusted numbers) but they do indicate the general direction for the coming two years.

Program Smart goals 2017 How to evalute Notes
Community To make work easier, support will be given 365 times to at least 100 Wikimedians (or others who advocate for free knowledge) with expertise, financial or other resources Listings in on-wiki tables or in a closed document (for privacy reasons) as they happen. Some users are frequently returning which is why we are using a combination of unique users and occasions. Only activities outside of other project related goals count. Questions related to memberships, donations or administrative matters do also not count towards the goals. Wikimedians and advocates for free knowledge who got support count, regardless of if they make use of the information/resources (which they requested) or not. We count occasions as when someone got help from a WMSE staff member. I.e. a volunteer working for two weeks without contact does not count, but if they send an e-mail with questions after a week that counts as one occasion.
To strengthen the community the chapter will support at least 50 recurring meet-ups for Wikimedians. Combination of on- and off-wiki tables. With recurring meetups we are referring to some type of face-to-face meetings that are repeated over time
To facilitate the use of new technical solutions on Wikipedia, a project shall be carried out around implementation, based on the Community's needs and desires Conduct a survey and create a prioritised list of projects based on the outcome This goal is hard to specify further as implementation needs depend on the wishes of the community.
To increase participation from Wikimedia's underrepresented groups, targeted initiatives organized by the association shall result in one productive edit from 365 unique users Qualtrics surveys in combination with off-wiki tables (for privacy reasons) We believe that it is important to put a focus on the diversity in participants we have in our activities. Underrepresented groups are here defined as:
  • women
  • contributors whose native language are different than the 10 largest Wikipedias (per 5+ editsp/month (3m avg) according to https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/Sitemap.htm) or Swedish
  • contributors 60 years or older
To lower the threshold for new users, 50 users shall be supported on the Teahouse (Fikarummet) at the Swedish Wikipedia. We will provide support for additional language version of Wikipedia to activate the Teahouse. Usage statistics for Teahouse, reusable code with documentation published in a public repository

4 Enabling

Situation analysis

The Chapter celebrated 9 years as a registered organization in Sweden in 2016. During close to a decade the organization has been spared from major conflicts or controversies and a strong foundation has been built. 8,5 FTE are now working there and the board has a mixture of men and women, community members and experts from areas relevant to the Chapter's activities.

In order to keep developing the capabilities of the organization there are three options:

  1. Exchanging experience and knowledge with other chapters and Wikimedia affiliates.
  2. New members and volunteers, complementing hires, the use of consultants or targeted board appointments.
  3. Training and development of the existing staff and board.

These are not means exclusive, although Wikimedia Sverige’s main focus for this program is the sharing of knowledge and experience between chapters and Wikimedia affiliates and on attracting new members and volunteers. With that said, we will continue to use short term engagement of consultants for specific tasks as another means of developing our skill sets. Though it is of course a part of the operations budget and not the enabling budget, we will also give staff and board members the opportunity to develop their skills through training.

Currently, an in depth understanding about what makes programmatic work by a Wikimedia affiliate successful is to a large extent missing, as well as comparative studies about what different chapters are doing. We see that there is a possibility to both increase the amount of in-house evaluating and research we do, as well as doing joint studies with other chapters, affiliates, researchers and students. A lot of Wikimedia affiliates have interesting and important new initiatives which are often unknown to other chapters, and the experiences gained from different projects and initiatives are not shared between affiliates. Over the past two-three years, Wikimedia Sverige has become more active in sharing experiences regarding our educational and GLAM projects, our lobbying efforts, how we find external funding and how we have organized our daily operations. We aim to develop that work, as well as creating opportunities to learn more from our affiliates.

Wikimedia Sverige has not worked effectively with attracting new members and volunteers in the past. However, in Sweden there is a very well developed civil society and most citizens are supporting and/or are active members in a number of different associations. Based on this we believe that the possibility to increase membership and volunteer count is still significant and we will take active measures to grow the member base and increase the volunteer pool.

The Wikimedia movement has close connections to the FOSS movement and many Wikimedia affiliates are using open source solutions in their daily operations, e.g. both out of principles and because of cost effectiveness. However, much FOSS has limited functionality or usability issues which can create stress and frustrations amongst employees - and sometime closed source solutions are therefore used instead. As an example, in Sweden we are now moving away from CiviCRM, an open source CRM system, because of its time consuming nature and the stress and frustration it causes amongst the administrative staff when usability issues and technical problems are not solved by the volunteers who were developing the software. Even though there are often consultants available (however not for CiviCRM) to develop specific solutions for identified problems, the one time costs of involving consultants are often pretty high but the solutions can be useful also for other Wikimedia affiliates.

Desired change
  1. Active gathering and sharing of knowledge with other Wikimedia affiliates.
  2. Increased organizational strength and capabilities.
  3. Increased knowledge and expertise within the organisation.
Capabilities and opportunities to change the situation

Over the years Wikimedia Sverige has gathered a lot of in-house knowledge and experience about the special challenges that a chapter or affiliate may encounter in their work. We have faced quite a few of them ourselves. After having matured as an organization, we aim to be a more active part of developing the organizational capabilities of the movement as a whole.

Our sharing of knowledge has so far been done as part of different projects, but this year we would like to take a more holistic approach with a dedicated project that cuts across our different programmes. As we have tried and tested many things during the years we hope that our experience can help smaller organizations scale faster and more smoothly. Working more actively with sharing our experiences is an extra cost for the Chapter, but we believe that this will significantly improve the value of each dollar invested in our projects to the movement as a whole. We also see this as a welcome way to glean knowledge and experience from other chapters and affiliates to improve our own work.

There is a need to do serious evaluation of our work and research on how we can improve our impact. We have worked together with many universities over the last years and have a good network in the research community that can be built upon. We aim to include these research institutions in some of our projects to add a research dimension from the start. We have also seen an interest from academia to include suggested student assignments from us. This has been a good way for us to investigate specific topics that are relevant either for our day-to-day operations, for future projects that we are planning or for general information about the Wikimedia projects that we can communicate externally and internally about. To guide our work in our "Use" program we are keen to first develop methods to see how the Wikimedia projects are used both in general and by specific user groups, and then conduct a first investigation around the perceived credibility of the projects.

The experiences from our own projects, from research and from other activities that we are involved in need to be communicated to other Wikimedia affiliates and to the volunteer community in different ways. Sharing of knowledge is important to increase the effectiveness of the movement. The Chapter is already actively contributing on a number of different Meta portals, email lists and Facebook groups to discuss with the international community; and we have also taken part in different movement events, to discuss various issues face-to-face, such as the Wikimedia Conference, Wikimedia Developer Summit, Wikipedia Education Collab meeting and Wikimania. We intend to increase our efforts in this field, actively taking part, contributing with content and material, as we view these conferences and meet-ups as crucial for our movement. We see the our planned conferences (Diversity Conference 2017, The Wikimedia Hackathon 2018, and Wikimania 2019) as yet another way to further this.

It has been the intention of the Chapter for several years to increase the number of volunteers and members in the association. The resources set aside specifically for this has however been limited. We intend to focus more intensively on this with a campaign both on- and offline to recruit new members and volunteers. We will also develop and clarify different volunteer tasks so that it is easier for the presumptive volunteer to find something that they are interested in and we will develop material around this. When the new CMS is activated we will develop a system for gathering membership and volunteer information in a structured way, in accordance with Wikimedia privacy recommendations, to ensure that we continue to activate volunteers. With more members and volunteers we will increase our ability to execute projects efficiently, improve our financial situation long term and gain more visibility.

The organization is using a number of different systems in the everyday work. FOSS is central for the association but some of the tools used are closed source. We would like to move toward more FOSS, but at the same time the tools need to have a minimum of user friendliness and fulfill our practical needs. In some cases the missing functions or the lack of user friendliness might be possible to solve with smaller targeted investments by the Chapter. If chosen wisely, this would be something that could benefit the movement as a whole and save us money in the long term. Therefore we intend to first identify which tools are being used by the chapter, if the closed source ones have FOSS alternatives and what would need improvement in order for us to change from the closed source alternatives. Based on this initial research we would invest resources in making the necessary improvements, depending on the task, by hiring external consultants, by engaging university students through student assignments or by our developers working on it themselves. We believe that this is an area where Chapters might like to pool resources (which is possible if we do the research in 2017 before their yearly planing is set for 2018).

Activities 2017
  1. Organisational Development 2017, share knowledge in international reports and through learning patterns, invest in research and students assignments, staff and board training,
  2. Exchange of Experiences 2017, active participation in different events such as the Wikimedia Conference, GLAM-camp, Wikimania, Wikipedia Education Collab, ED calls, updates of portals on Meta, adaptations of material we create for translations
  3. Association Involvement 2017, on- and offline campaign to get new members and volunteers, new system in place to register them, clearer tasks defined and necessary support for people to get and stay engaged
  4. FOSS for the Association 2017, investigation of FOSS software relevant for the Chapter that is used or available and what needs improvements and possibly a smaller development project
Activities 2018
  1. Organisational Development 2018, share knowledge in international reports and through learning patterns, invest in research and student assignments, conduct a first investigation around the perceived credibility of the Wikimedia projects, staff and board training
  2. Exchange of Experiences 2018, active participation in different events such as the Wikimedia Conference, GLAM-camp, Educamp, ED calls, updates of portals on Meta, adaptations of material we create for translations
  3. Association Involvement 2018, on- and offline campaign to get members and volunteers, more tasks clearly defined and necessary support to get people engaged
  4. FOSS for the Association 2018, improvements of FOSS software used by us and the movement

These are the goals for 2017 that the Board had approved. Based on the experience of 2017 some of these might be updated or changed for 2018 (such as adjusted numbers) but they do indicate the general direction for the coming two years.

Program Smart goals 2017 How to evalute Notes
Enabling For the association to work competently the office staff shall be given the opportunity to develop their skills in relevant fields and the members of the board shall strive to develop their competences. Off-wiki list of attended courses and training events Interviews will be held with staff members who have not attended a courses and training event to identify why
The members of the board or office staff shall participate in at least 4 international Wikimedia events and on a monthly basis update international newsletters and key wikiportals etc. On-wiki list + archives of newsletters The international newsletters are This Month in GLAM and the Education Newsletter. Key wikiportals will be identified at the start of the year
To ensure organizational stability the chapter shall work towards broad and sustainable funding where no donor exceeds 50%, a 20% increase in membership from the 31 December previous year, enhance volunteer involvement with 20% compared to the total amount previous calendar year, and develop a plan around corporate sponsorship. List of revenue sources, public membership numbers, off-wiki list of volunteer involvement, published sponsorship plan Any sponsorship must be aligned with Wikimedia Sverige's values.
To ensure organizational stability the chapter shall actively work to increase the amount of overlapping competencies in business-critical areas. core competencies mapped and areas without overlap identified

Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan[edit]

1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
WMSE Organisation chart 2017-2018

Wikimedia Sverige’s plan is to grow slowly, steadily and strategically. As we are maturing as an organisation, we are putting an emphasis on stability and contingency. We will increase our in-house staff total somewhat over 2017-2018 and we are taking steps to let the staff focus solely on our core work, i.e. our different projects. That is why we as of the end of 2016 will outsource our economic administration to an accounting firm. In addition to the work done by our staff, we will develop our Wikipedian in residence program. We will also continue to bring in consultants for parts of our projects. We have more than doubled Wikimedia Sverige's investment in the EU policy work being done by Dimitar Dimitrov in Brussels. As we get more and more offers that we believe could be mutually beneficial, we aim to offer more short term internships to university students.

2. List of staff by department or function.
You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.

Table 4

Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes
Executive Director 1 1 (2017)
1 (2018)
Chief Operating Officer 1 1 (2017)
1 (2018)
Project Managers 2 2 (2017)
2 (2018)
Senior Developer 1 1 (2017)
1 (2018)
Developers 2 2 (2017)
2 (2018)
Project Administrator 0.75 1 (2017)
1.5 (2018)
Some small parts of the economic administration will still have to be handled by our staff. We also estimate a greater need for administration support within the different projects, especially concerning the work with the two major Wikimedia events we are aiming to organize.
Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 7.75 8 (2017)
8.5 (2018)

Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:

3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?

We plan to use about 4,000,000 SEK ($468,000). (This is an decrease from the budgeted 4,737,950 SEK ($560,120) due to staff re-organisations and the fact that parts of projects have been pushed forward to 2017 following a longer hiring process than expected for the developer positions for Wikispeech and Open Connected Heritage.)

4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?

We plan to spend 4,004,629 SEK ($468,541) on staff in 2017 and 4,142,000 SEK ($484,614) in 2018, adding up to a total of 8,146,629 SEK ($953,155) over the upcoming funding period.

Financials: upcoming year[edit]

Detailed budget: upcoming year[edit]

Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.

Revenues: upcoming year[edit]

Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).

  • Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
  • Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
  • Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.

Table 5

Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period
Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)

Membership fees 110,000 (2017)
125,000 (2018)
12,870 (2017)
14,625 (2018)
n/a (2017)
n/a (2018)

Donations 200,000 (2017)
115,000 (2018)
23,400 (2017)
13,455 (2018)
100,000 guaranteed (2017)
n/a (2018)

FDC 2,950,000 (2017)
2,950,000 (2018)
345,150 (2017)
345,150 (2018)
Requested (2017)
Requested (2018)

Interest 15,000 (2017)
15,000 (2018)
1,755 (2017)
1,755 (2018)
n/a (2017)
n/a (2018)

Other Grants 159,600 (2017)
873,600 (2018)
18,673 (2017)
102,211 (2018)
Not yet requested (2017)
Not yet requested (2018)

Vinnova 220,530 (2017)
0 (2018)
25,802 (2017)
0 (2018)
Guaranteed (2017)
n/a (2018)

Royal Armoury 15,000 (2017)
0 (2018)
1,755 (2017)
0 (2018)
Guaranteed (2017)
n/a (2018)

The Culture Foundation of the Swedish Postcode Lottery 1,875,000 (2017)
1,600,000 (2018)
219,375 (2017)
187,200 (2018)
Guaranteed (2017)
Not yet requested (2018)

European Union Grant 200,000 (2017)
200,000 (2018)
23,400 (2017)
23,400 (2018)
Application (2017)
Not yet requested (2018)

Pelagios Commons Resource Grants 50,000 (2017)
50,000 (2018)
5,850 (2017)
5,850 (2018)
Not yet requested (2017)
Not yet requested (2018)

Länsstyrelsen Kalmar 60,000 (2017)
0 (2018)
7,020 (2017)
0 (2018)
Guaranteed (2017)
n/a (2018)

Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency 57,391 (2017)
0 (2018)
6,714 (2017)
0 (2018)
Guaranteed (2017)
n/a (2018)

Event Grant Diversity Conference 2017 500,000 (2017)
0 (2018)
58,500 (2017)
0 (2018)
Not yet requested (2017)
n/a (2018)

Event Grant Hackathon 2018 0 (2017)
500,000 (2018)
0 (2017)
58,500 (2018)
n/a (2017)
Not yet requested (2018)

Swedish Post and Telecom Authority 1,115,000 (2017)
1,400,000 (2018)
130,455 (2017)
163,800 (2018)
625,000 Guaranteed (2017)
Not yet requested (2018)

Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 7,527,521 (2017)
7,828,600 (2018)
880,720 (2017)
915,946 (2018)

Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.

  • "Other Grants" is significantly larger in 2018 as it is impossible to secure external funding for smaller projects, especially in GLAM and Education, two years ahead.

See detailed budgets for the funding period:

Operating reserves: current and upcoming years[edit]

Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.

1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.

Table 6

Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US)
Current year (e.g. 2017) 782,408 91,542 N/A N/A 909,708 106,436
Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 1,094,708 (2017)

1,279,708 (2018)

128,081 (2017)

149,726 (2018)

Note table 6:

  • There is no way for us to estimate the to-date reserves. We have however not needed to make use our reserves so far this year.
  • The "Upcoming year" amount includes the proposed FDC funding
2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
  • 2017: 85,000 SEK ($9,945)
  • 2018: 75,000 SEK ($8,775)

Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan[edit]

1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.

Table 7

Program Currency requested US dollars
1 Access 1,432,100 (2017)
1,197,100 (2018)
167,556 (2017)
140,061 (2018)
2 Use 455,000 (2017)
793,333 (2018)
53,235 (2017)
92,820 (2018)
3 Community 544,885 (2017)
548,885 (2018)
63,752 (2017)
64,220 (2018)
4 Enabling 80,000 (2017)
100,000 (2018)
9,360 (2017)
11,700 (2018)
Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 2,511,985 (2017)
2,639,318 (2018)
293,903 (2017)
308,801 (2018)

Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.

  • In each year 500,000 SEK ($58,500) of the Community budget is intended for an event grant.

2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.

Table 8

Expense type Currency requested US dollars
Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 2,511,985 (2017)
2,639,318 (2018)
293,903 (2017)
308,801 (2018)
Operations (excludes staff and programs) 833,260 (2017)
872,350 (2018)
97,491 (2017)
102,065 (2018)
Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 4,004,629 (2017)
4,142,000 (2018)
468,541 (2017)
484,614 (2018)
Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 7,349,874 (2017)
7,653,668 (2018)
859,935 (2017)
895,479 (2018)

Table 8 notes:

Verification and signature[edit]

Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.

The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement

Please sign below to complete this proposal form.

IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
Please sign here once this proposal form is complete, using four tildes. Anna Troberg (WMSE) (talk) 19:29, 30 September 2016 (UTC)