Grants:APG/Proposals/2020-2021 round 1/Wikimedia Czech Republic/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Wikimedia Czech Republic will work in 2021 through three programsː Multimedia & Community Programs, EDUcational Programs and Wikidata & TECH Programs.
All three programs will be cross-cutting by three main scopes: Diversity, Capacity Building and Partnerships. Diversity mainly from the scope of gender and age.
We will be focused on this target groupsː newcomers in general, seniors / librarians, minors & students / teachers, women and experts.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Wikimedia Czech Republic
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/21-12/31/21
- Currency requested: CZK
- Name of primary contact: Klára Joklová
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||3,425,800.00 CZK||155,805.38 USD|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||2,998,804.83 CZK||136,385.64 USD|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||3,311,461.00 CZK*||139,975.46 USD|
- *including extraordinary co-financing in connection with the COVID-19 situation in the amount of 400,000 CZK
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Bimonthly board meetings: Wikimedia Czech republic holds bi-monthly meetings with its Board. These meetings are open to the whole community, and travel allowances are paid for those community members who wish to attend. The annual plan is being designed along with our local community and is being approved during our General Assembly during April.
- Community advisory groupsː We have created a community advisory group for each program/activity. The group should became a bridge between community and target groups. We asked experienced community members as well as our colaborative partners out of community. Project managers communicate activity development plans with them and discuss a specific topics during the year.
- Online discussions: We ask for opinions on specific issues online on our members wiki and mailing list. However, our experience shows that this usually creates less feedback than in-person discussions. Furthermore, we monitor talk pages and discussions on Wikimedia projects which are related to our chapter's activities. We invited the community to participate in these discussions via announcements in the various village pumps and via the mailinglists.
- WMCZ-wiki and the newsletter:Throughout the year, we remain in contact with the community via WMCZ-wiki and the newsletter. A staffmember and a board member are regularly present at the Wikimeetings, monthly meetings of a community, where we can discuss topics face-to-face
- Survey: we are creating forms for specific topics and ask community to give us their feedback during the year about a specific topic/changes that could influence the community
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Our Annual plan for 2021 as well as Strategic plan WMCZ 2021-24 will be approved by the Board during November-December 2020.
Financials: current year
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 3,572,350.30 162,470.49 3,524,393.00 160,289.39 3,524,393.00 160,289.39 Expenses 3,572,350.30 162,470.49 2,026,424.71 92,161.80 3,324,393.00* 151,193.39*
Table 2 notes:
- *without operating reserves 200,000CZK (9096USD)
|METRICS AND RESULTS OVERVIEW||A. Multimedia & Community Programs||B. EDUcational Programs||C. Wikidata & TECH Programs||Explanation|
|1. number of total participants||195||500||40||Multimedia&Community: (Mediagrant+We Photograph Czechia): We expect 15 active photographers in MG+WPC photo activities in 2021. This activity is not affected by Covid-19.
Multimedia&Community: (Community support)ː We plan at least 12 online/offilne events in 2021, expected participation is cca 180 persons. This activity can be affected by Covid-19. Therefore the final numbers could be lower.
EDU: We have in our planning refer to year 2020 and the current pandemic situation that has a great influence on nr. of fully completed events, nr. of participants attending (which in many cases differed from nr. of applicants), there we lower the numbers according to current statistic. Estimating we will remain in lockdown/restricted regime for about 1/2 of 2021. Online activities will substitute planned physical events in ratio approx. 2/3 of originally planned offline activities.
|2. number of newly registered users||65||170||2||Multimedia&Community: (Mediagrant+We Photograph Czechia): we expect 5 new users in 2021.
Multimedia&Community: (Community support): we estimate cca 1/3 of all participants will be newcomers in 2021.
EDU: Expected ration of newly registered according to logic explained above. It is reflecting nr. we reached so far in 2020.
|3. number of content pages created or improved, across all Wikimedia projects||25000||1200||200000||Multimedia&Community: (Mediagrant+We Photograph Czechia): estimation: 20,000 new content pages (nr. consists of new or edited WP, Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons pages.).
Multimedia&Community: (Community support): estimation: 3,000 content pages (Nr. consists of new WD, WC and new or edited WP pages). Multimedia&Community: (GLAM): estimation 2,000 content pages (Nr. consists of new WD, WC and new or edited WP pages).
EDU: Educational programs in general don't necessarily focus on content added, the focus more on creating positive first experience with Wiki activities and possibly positive first user and editing experience, therefore we may have many content which is not finally published or people rather trying first small editions instead creating whole articles etc. and it is considered ok.
|4. Number of active GLAM cooperations||8||40||15||Multimedia&Community: (GLAM): In 2020 we had 3 active GLAM cooperations (Prague Zoo, Prague Pride, Post Bellum, National Library). In 2021 another 4 would be nice.
EDU: Universities (8), (high)schools (5), Libraries (10), NGOs (4), Foundations (2), professional networks/guilds (6), Others (5) = combination of current established cooperations + planned newly established cooperation - natural turnover of partners in longterm cooperations.
Wikidata/Tech: In 2019 we had 14 active cooperationsː (National Technical Library, National Library, Faculty of Math and Physics, DrobnePamatky database, Krizky a Vetrelci database, University of Palacky in Olomouc, Wikiskripta, TDKIV database, Pamet naroda database, Library database of the National Library, National Heritage Institute, Prazdnedomy database, Bibliography of Czech Lands database, Czechitas)
|5. Number of events||12||40||3||Multimedia&Community: (GLAM + Community support): Offline events are one of the best ways how to attract newcomers and more events means more newcomers. In 2021 we want to run at least 5 editathons through the year. If Covid-19 will be still on stage, we will switch to online. We plan to organize another types of offline/online events(WikiTown, Wikiphotoworkshop, wikiworkshop for NGOs, Photo contest, wikiphotoexpedition).
EDU: foreseen Training cycle SePW (6 lectures x 6), Training cycle Librarians (3 courses/lectures x 2), Tech (with) Wiki events/trainings (3x), Wikiclubs (5 cities), festivals/fairs (at least 2), lecturers meet up (2x) - this is ideal situation with decent amount of offline events, good nr. of events will take place in online substituting original offline version.In case we remain in lockdown for several months in 2021, we would estimate 2/3 of (mostly online based) events taking place from what was planned.
Wikidata/Tech: Wikidata workshops, Wikiskripta lecture
|OTHER PROGRAM METRICS||A. Multimedia & Community Programs||B. EDUcational Programs||C. Wikidata & TECH Programs||Explanation|
|6. Bytes added (EDU)||N/A||1000000||N/A||EDU: measuring bytes added from all educational events organised by Wikimedia or in cooperation, except wikiclubs, since Wiki Education Dashboard is not use to measure wikiclubs.|
|7. New (regional/local) cooperations established (EDU)||N/A||5||N/A||EDU: covering the goal for regional diversity in programmes and focus on newcomers, newcoming institutions and partnerships will be seeking to establish: 2 new libraries (Seniors programme) in less covered regions, 2 new university cooperations (Students programme), 2 schools piloting Teach (with) Wiki programme, 1 new strategic field cooperation (such as educational ngo etc.)|
|8. We Photograph Czechia: Number of newly illustrated Wikidata items||6000||N/A||N/A||To ilustrate Wikidata items is a main purpose of We Photograph Czechia. In 2020 we illustrated cca 5000 Wikidata items.|
|9. Number of gained and on Commons uploaded files within the GLAM cooperation||1500||N/A||N/A||Estimation: 5 cooperations X 300 donated images for Commons.|
|10. Number of GLAM files used on Wikipedia (Total files used)||200||N/A||N/A||Total number of usage of files gained within GLAM cooperations across all Wikimedia projects.|
|11. Number of GLAM institutions, that response to our contact||10||N/A||N/A||Our plan is to regularly address the Czech institutions. This number represents nr. of institutions which responded (regardless of their interest). Nr. consists responds to our (WMCZ) contact and contact of volunteers.|
Annual plan summary
A. Multimedia & Community Programs
The Multimedia & Community Programs are focused on the building of diverse community and partnerships.
In addition, the program promotes the proliferation of free license content, most often in collaboration with institutions such as galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAM) that collect multimedia content - especially photos, works of art, videos and other works..
It also informs and promotes the use of free licenses when making information and media accessible on the Internet.
There are 3 programsː
1. Partnership & GLAM Program
2. Community Program
1. Partnership & GLAM Program
As part of the activity, we are creating new partnerships with strategic central institutions, especially GLAM institutions, to provide or distribute diverse content that is managed by these institutions under free licenses.
We are also supporting community members in building partnerships with these institutions, especially on the local level.
2. Community Program
Compared to last year, we have restructured our activities. Thus, a separate activity Supporting the Community was newly created, which we divide into photographers and non-photographers (ie editors and others) and we divide each of these groups into newcomers and the existing community.
In line with the movement's strategy, we will no longer primarily focus on acquiring content, but on supporting the people who create it. We have designed special projects and events for newcomers (who we want to acquire), as well as for the existing community (which we want to motivate, appreciate and maintain).
Wikimedia projects may be threatened not only by a lack of editors or photographers, but also by changes in Czech or European legislation, which we therefore monitor closely.
In some cases, we must react actively: to defend ourselves or, on the contrary, to try to seize opportunities to our advantage.
To be more effective, we are gradually building a network of organizations that may have similar interests. We will inform each other in this platform.
B. EDUcational Programs
Educational programs are a valid and permanent part of the association's activities. They actively contribute to the influx of newcomers, help spread awareness of Wikimedia projects and deepen relationships and activities within the Czech community.
The main target groups of the programs are newcomers in general, youth (students) and seniors. These are linked to (and naturally complement the portfolio) other target groups, such as teachers or librarians.
In addition to organizing courses, training and similar educational activities, we also support activities aimed at joint or supported editing. These are, for example, thematic editathons (in cooperation with the section of community and multimedia programs) or regular wikiklubs spread throughout the Czech Republic. As well as educational community activities. Thus, we strategically focus on capacity building - capacity building and support for the development of competencies of the existing community.
Through our portfolio of activities and the choice of target groups (youth, men, seniors, women), we have long contributed to the diversity of the community wiki - especially in terms of gender and age - and building basic infrastructure in the free knowledge ecosystem.
There are four programsː
- Seniors write Wikipedia (SePW)
- Students write Wikipedia (SPW)
- Teach (with) Wiki
- Other EDU topics
1. Seniors Write Wikipedia
The senior program is generally well-established and stable.
We co-finance the activities of the program - this allows for a continuous slow growth in the number of activities and the number of seniors who have been involved in other long-term activities.
A great advantage is also the long-term and gradually deepened cooperation with libraries and librarians, which allows us to work with the program in regions where we would otherwise find it very difficult to provide coverage from our own capacities. Libraries are interested, the aim is to streamline cooperation aimed at opening a specific course.
Its great advantage is that the topic and target group are attractive for PR activities, networking with other stakeholders (institutions, donors, other NGOs working with the target group, etc.).
The SePW program actively contributes to the overall PR of Wikimedia CR, by having a main and attractive topic and focusing on the target group, whose prosperity is in the center of public interest, thereby helping to create effective partnerships and responsible donation of this program (donors know why they contribute to us ).
2. Students Write Wikipedia
The programs we implement aimed at students are primarily aimed at acquainting the young generation with the principles of free access to information and education and the use of wiki principles.
Content creation is a secondary effect. This principle is fully in line with the strategy of the Wikimedia 2030 movement.
The Students Write Wikipedia program has a relatively long tradition and has long been implemented more or less voluntarily on the basis of the proactivity of active members of the association. It works great where active wikipedists are involved, who have a natural desire and motivation to incorporate knowledge and skills about the wiki into teaching and thus share their love for life.
Unfortunately, this is also his weakness. Wikimedia has a relatively low impact on specific teachers, unless they find us themselves, we only have limited ways to actively reach them, and when that happens, how to keep them on the wiki.
An important aspect is also the constant change of pupils and students - whose real trade is basically one to two years of involvement.
The current situation has brought a number of new challenges to schools, and we are adapting to them and strengthening online activities that can reinforce distance learning.
3. Teach (with) Wiki
Educational programs Students Write Wikipedia and Teach (with) Wiki in the long run should be seen as complementary and in some respects consecutive. Both focus on spreading awareness of the free knowledge ecosystem (free access to information and sources of knowledge).
Activities and methods implemented in the Teach (with) Wiki program enable the first contact for the target group (teachers and pupils, younger students) with the topic and content of the wiki - user literacy, understanding the context of open educational and information space on the Internet and closely related work and understanding critical thinking , work with fake news, etc.
It will allow access to the general public - from the young generation - and build a positive first experience with using the wiki for further educational needs.
Focusing on newcomers and the general public in this way is once again in line with the Wikimedia 2030 strategy.
4. Open educational program
General education aimed at the general public or the existing community is a topic that we do not want to ignore.
At the same time, this fourth area of educational edu programs is really an open field in many respects - it includes a number of target groups, by its nature it tries to cover the area not covered by the previous 3 programs and is also a superstructure from this point of view.
The openness of the program is directed outwards, towards the general public and on the other hand inwards - support for activities that benefit the existing community.
C. Wikidata & TECH Programs
Towards the end of this year, we hired the first employee for this program, which was long run only by volunteers.
We promise greater emphasis on the conceptual building of the Czech Wikidata community and also greater connection with other programs and especially in connection with building strategic partnerships.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Executive director 1 1 Community&multimedia manager 0,5 0,5 Community&multimedia coordinator 0,2 0,2 Education manager 0,5 0,5 Head lecturer 0,5 0,5 SePW & SPW coordinator 0,2 0,2 Wikidata/TECH coordinator 0,2 0,2 PR&commmunication 0,1 0,1 Fundraiser 0,1 0,1 administrative assistant 0,4 0,4 Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 3,7 3,7
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 2,228,700.00CZK (101,361.276USD)
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 2,211,200.00CZK (100,565.38USD)
Financials: upcoming year
Detailed budget: upcoming year
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)
WMF APG 2021 2,998,804.83 136,385.64 requested Krása pomoci Foundation 2021 77,950.00 3,545.17 requested Capital City of Prague grant 2021 280,000.00 12,734.40 requested Veolia Foundation 2021 50,000.00 2,274.00 planning to request MONETA Foundation 2021 50,000.00 2,274.00 planning to request US Embassy 2021 100,000.00 4,548.00 planning to request Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 3,556,754.83 161,761.21 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
- additional funding will be used to co-finance programs, part of staff and operational costs
Operating reserves: current and upcoming years
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 291,500.00 13,257.42 491,500.00 22,353.42 491,500.00 22,353.42 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 491,500.00 22,353.42
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Multimedia & Community Programs 271,000.00* 12,325.08 EDUcational Programs 199,000.00* 9,050.52 Wikidata/TECH Programs 15,000.00 682.20 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 485,000.00 22,057.80
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- *we plan to co-finance from other sources
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 485,000.00 22,057.80 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 614,600.00 27,952.01 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 2,326,200.00 105,795.58 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 3,425,800.00 155,805.38
Table 8 notes:
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.