Grants:APG/Proposals/2020-2021 round 2/Wikimedia Indonesia/Proposal form
Wikimedia Indonesia is willing to cover more than 700 languages and 300 ethnic groups across the island nations of Indonesia to get them available on the internet. Our five-year strategic planning from 2017-2022 emphasizes on community development and support to achieve our goals. We believe by having a stronger community presence, we can build a more sustainable environment for nurturing the free knowledge culture. Although we are still in the pandemic situation, we try to be creative as possible to build new communities, support, and strengthen the strengthen the established communities. We also invite and reach various organisations to get involved in Wikimedia movements and raise awareness about the importance of free knowledge. We believe by reaching out to various communities and organisations, Indonesian local content will be more enriched and our movement can be more inclusive. These efforts are in line with knowledge equity and to make the knowledge that we provided as a primal service to open the various opportunities to our emerging community. We would like to ensure that the infrastructure and challenges will not limit our efforts to deliver knowledge to our community.
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Since 2008, Wikimedia Indonesia is dedicated to developing the capacity of the Wikimedia communities in Indonesia and improving the internal organization of Wikimedia Indonesia. We work to run programs that resulted in direct positive impacts on the entire Wikimedia community in Indonesia and the Indonesian population in general. For the last several years, we emphasize on community development and support, as we believe our community is the key. We want to have a stronger community presence to achieve our goals. One of the efforts carried out by Wikimedia Indonesia is to increase community capacity by conducting regular training and meetings.
2020 is the year of world pandemic, which makes Wikimedia Indonesia needed to adjust the plans that were made pre-pandemic. All plans for activities that are carried out offline turn into online. This policy certainly has a big effect because most of our activities are offline. In 2021, it looks like it will not be much different from 2020, and considering the pandemic that is still hitting the world, Wikimedia Indonesia will remain focused on its online activities. This year, Wikimedia Indonesia is still focusing on four main programs: (1) Community Development & Support, (2) Education, (3) GLAM & Partnership, and (4) Content Enrichment. These programs have been previously running in 2020, and we will continue all the program in line with our five-year strategic plan.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Perkumpulan Wikimedia Indonesia
- Organization's fiscal year: 01 January–31 December
- 12-month funding period requested: 01 July 2021-–30 June 2022
- Currency requested: Indonesian Rupiah
- Name of primary contact: Biyanto Rebin
- 3. Amount requested.
|Currency requested (IDR)||Amount in USD|
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||4,745,897,900||327,467|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||4,745,897,900||327,467|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||5,073,740,000||355,162|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- We held the meeting with the community, either offline or online, during month of January-March every year. We conduct the evaluation or feedback about our previous program and asking them what can we improve together. We build the program together with the community as we understand they are the one who taking care our online and offline events or projects. Our aim is to make sure that they are included in the conversation not only as the spectator.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
- Please consult Wikimedia Indonesia strategic plans.
Annual plan summary
Community Development and Support
Community programs are essential for Indonesian communities to grow. In the next year grant, we propose several programs that are still mainly online. The programs are divided into two main programs: community development and support.
- Community development
- Capacity building: non-Wikimedia-editing related courses necessary for committed local communities to improve their capacity, e.g. literacy, communication, leadership, and English language course.
- Conference: a national conference for Indonesian Wikimedians. We plan to hold an online national conference, after being postponed since last year.
- Community support
- Phone credit support: a form of support for very active users and new users by providing phone credit.
- Book support: a form of support for very active users by providing book references and aims to improve the quality of Wikipedia articles.
- Online scholarship: a form of support for groups or individuals by providing phone credit and meal allowance with thematic editing activities to work on. This activity previously was done offline, since the pandemic we shift the offline meetup using the online scholarship format.
- Community support: a form of support for active local communities by providing phone credit to support them manage their own community activities.
- Wellness package: we disburse the wellness package (mask, sanitizer, vitamin) to active community members who needed during the pandemic.
Last year during the pandemic situation, the Education team organized several programs that were held online. Our last year’s Education programs were planned to be held online, but due to the pandemic, they were shifted into online activities. Throughout the 2020 we have tried to conduct and adjust these programs so that we could find the perfect format for online activities.
For this year’s program, we have decided to continue all of our last year’s programs. These programs will still be done online (at least during the first term) due to the pandemic situation in Indonesia that has not shown significant improvement. As for the second term, even though we will still be doing online events, we hope that we will also be able to start doing simple offline activities (with limited number of participants and strict COVID-19 health guidance).
Starting from this year, the Education program of Wikimedia Indonesia will not only focus on increasing public awareness of Wikipedia and its sister projects and the way to utilize them, but we will also focus on the introduction of Wikimedia Indonesia programs. We also plan to coordinate an online introduction program in which other programs can jump in to promote their activities. Accordingly, the Education program of Wikimedia Indonesia will function as a bridge for people or our partners who want to learn more about Wikimedia projects or to get involved in Wikimedia Indonesia programs. Based on that reason, the objectives for this year’s Education program is to increase the volunteers’ or partners’ awareness as well as their participation on Wikimedia projects and Wikimedia Indonesia’s programs.
- Events and activities:
- WikiLatih (Wikipedia training): a Wikipedia editing workshop in Indonesian and several local languages. Just as the previous year’s, this year’s WikiLatih will be organized in two formats which are the regular one by using Zoom, and the online course using Google Classroom. In this event, we give the opportunity to individuals, communities, and institutions to see and understand how Wikipedia works, as well as the values of contributing to Wikipedia so that they will be motivated to actively contribute.
- Wiki Masuk Sekolah (Wikipedia Goes to School): a Wikipedia editing workshop that is integrated with the curricula of the collaborated educational institutions.
- WikiPelatih Mini (Mini Training Of Trainers): an online Wikimedia Indonesia’s short training for trainers aimed only for Wikimedia Indonesia’s volunteers/community members who have participated in Wikipedia editing workshops for beginners before, or who have regularly contributed to Wiki projects and events. In this event, we attempt to upgrade the competence of these contributors to become trainers so that they can participate further in Wikimedia Indonesia’s training events.
- WikiKopdar/Temu Daring (meetups): an edit-a-thon meetup program that is conducted regularly for the existing communities. In this event, the participants signed up to participate in the event. Participants from every part of Indonesia can join this event as this event will mainly be organized online by Zoom.
- WikiPanduan (Wiki guidebook): a program that aims to compose a guidebook for a particular topic. This year’s guidebook will focus on visual editor features on Wikipedia and Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom.
- Magang Pendidikan (Education Internship): an internship program for anyone who’s interested and qualified to be involved in the Wikimedia Education Team’s activities.
- New programs:
- WikiSedaya (new concept: it used to be a retention program aimed for newcomers, but this year’s WikiSedaya is planned to be a program which focuses on developing the newcomers’ capacity of contributing to Wikipedia. The program will be wrapped in a form of an online course.
- Reading Wikipedia in Classrooms : a program adapted from the Wikimedia Foundation’s Education team that teaches how to make use of Wikipedia in Classrooms by starting with a simple step which is reading Wikipedia. The materials will be adapted and adjusted according to the local context in Indonesia.
- Newcomers appreciation: a program with a concept of ‘talent scouting’ in which we give appreciation to the newcomers of Indonesian Wikipedia in the form of a simple souvenir and an invitation to get involved in Wikimedia Indonesia’s activities. The idea is to ‘secretly’ select new contributors of Wikipedia who have actively contributed to Wikipedia using the Welcoming Newcomers feature by the Growth Team. The Education Team of Wikimedia Indonesia will contact the selected newcomers and introduce them to Wikimedia Indonesia as well as inviting them to get more involved in our activities.
- Education office hours & online project introduction: We intend to initiate education office hours where registered participants can ask any questions about Wiki projects or Wikimedia Indonesia programs. We also intend to coordinate a program in a webinar format where we introduce all Wikimedia Indonesia programs to the registered participants (can also be to our partners) and we offer which of the program will be interesting for the participants or to our partners to organize or to join in.
GLAM & Partnership
In 2021, GLAM team will remain focused on its online activities in reaching out to regional GLAM institutions to work together to digitize and place their collections on the Wikimedia Commons, an open repository from the Wikimedia Foundation, which provides benefits for local institutions in introducing their collections on the internet and indexed on Google. This directly provides opportunities for researchers outside the region who are looking for material and research objects easily and practically.
GLAM Indonesia in the period 2021-2022 plans to create regular online activities such as Wikisource Workshops for the communities and the public, 1lib1ref Workshops for libraries, GLAM Weekly Talks on the Wikimedia Indonesia Youtube channel. For the annual agenda, GLAM Indonesia will continue the activities of the Wikisource Competition in 2002, the 1lib1ref Campaign twice a year, as well as collection donations to the Wikimedia Commons and various related competitions via WikiSejarah (WikiHistory). In addition, to provide information about Wikimedia Commons, a guidebook will be created on how to contribute to Wikimedia Commons.
Events and activities:
- Wikisource editathon and competition: an effort to promote Wikisource to general public.
- #1Lib1Ref campaign
- GLAM Indonesian online conference: an online conference for GLAM institutions in Indonesia.
- Digitization training for the volunteers
- Wikimedia Commons manual book
- GLAM Indonesia Weekly talk
The continuation of improvements in Wikidata and its related contents in the Indonesian Wikimedia community will serve as a major endeavor in regards to the limitations imposed during last year, and this year while we still will not be able to hold offline events. In this year also, the enthusiasm provided by the community in our past events will be awarded and recognized more by involving them not only as participants but also as trainers and organizers in our upcoming programs. New program formats are also proposed after being held several times before in the last year. Furthermore, we are planning to also continue the partnership we have with several Indonesian colleges. The short details of our programs are as follows, events are held online.
Wikimedia Indonesia is an experienced Wikimedia chapter that has managed several writing and photography challenges in various topics and formats. Competition has become a powerful way to obtain high quality content in Wikipedia, so the public will be confident using Wikipedia as a source of information. In APG20, we designed a writing competition that is specific for helping student study from home during the pandemic. After that, we also collaborated with Common Room and ICT Watch Indonesia to organize Tantangan WikiSehat, a writing challenge about COVID-19 pandemic and its vaccination program in Indonesia. Through WikiKaleidoskop, for the first time we organize a photo challenge all year-round.
In APG21, Wikimedia Indonesia will continue these important competitions. In the next semester, we plan to modify the format of the competition to make the competition keep fresh and challenging. In the long term, we hope that all important articles will have good quality, neutral, and comprehensive content.
Other than the writing competition, WikiKaleidoskop will be running along the second half of 2021. Wiki Loves Earth also has become our annual agenda that can’t be missed in 2022.
- Events and activities:
- Wikidata trainings: trainings of new or beginner editors in Wikidata. Participants will be introduced to editing in Wikidata, open data, structured data, linked data, and on projects using data from Wikidata.
- Online Meet-ups: serve as the continuing development of Wikidata community in Indonesia. Participants will be editing Wikidata while able to share their thoughts with other participants.
- Training of trainers: involving the members of the community will require more knowledge on Wikidata and the teaching materials used. Participants will be educated on Wikidata structures, local Indonesian contexts on Wikidata, and on visualization and advanced queries.
- Datathons are short competitions on editing Wikidata. A datathon will be held on several days and participants are required to edit items matching certain criteria.
- Social media plan for Wikidata: serves as an outreach and presents Wikidata visualizations, data highlights, and projects using data from Wikidata to the community and general public. We also plan to hold a bi-weekly Wikidata trivia quiz. A general form for Wikidata or Wikimedia-related technical inquiry is also available on our social media for the community.
- Wikidata Workshops: a collaboration event with colleges and universities in Indonesia where we present the basic information regarding Wikidata and open data. Workshops are held online and involve larger audiences than other events.
- Internships: the program is opened to students from partner colleges and other institutions where we provide training of Wikidata and regular tasks to the interns on improving data in Wikidata and Wikidata visualization.
- Kiwix: an offline free knowledge platform where students and teachers can access the materials they need to improve their learning while not necessarily requires them to have an Internet access. The Kiwix team cooperates with us on the implementation of their program in Indonesia. We plan to include the Indonesian Wikipedia and Wiktionary among other Indonesian education materials in the devices which will be distributed to partner schools.
- Competition for public: a Wikidata visualization competition for the general public, where data queried from Wikidata are presented on a specially designated site. Site, visualizations, and queries should be released on open licenses.
- Competition for artners: a similar competition as with the public one but is only limited to students from partner colleges. Competition is open not only for students from STEM majors.
- Research support: serves as a support to willing researcher(s) in the form of a grant for their research related to Wikimedia projects or free and open data.
- Writing competition: a 6-months challenge in Indonesian Wikipedia with varying topics. The main topic will be about important articles that should have good quality in Indonesian Wikipedia.
- WikiTeroka: a small writing challenge in 6 local languages in Indonesia.
- WikiKaleidoskop: continuation of our photo challenge in Wikimedia Commons from the first half of 2021. In the second half, we will introduce new themes. At the end, we will select the winners who will get the main prizes.
- Wiki Loves Earth: enriching Indonesian natural landscape in Wikimedia Commons.
Financial: current year
Financials for the current funding period
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
|Revenues or expenses||Planned (budgeted)||Actual, until one month before the proposal due date||Projected|
|Currency requested||US dollars||Currency requested||US dollars||Currency requested||US dollars|
|Revenues (from all sources)||4,691,390,000||328,397||4,771,425,736||328,367||4,745,897,900||327,467|
This section provides metrics that will be used to measure each program's achievements conducted by Wikimedia Indonesia under this grant
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Active collaborations: the number of organisation or partners which actively collaborate at least 2 events during the grant period.
- Active community member: the number of active community member who spend their time to attend, organize or participate in the events, program, or activities, either in person or virtually with minimum 3 participation. This definition does not include social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
|Program||Shared metrics||Grantee-defined metrics|
|Participants||Newly registered||Content pages||Active collaborations||Active community member|
|Community Development and Support||500||0||50,000|
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- We hire the staffs based on necessity, but we realize since our community is so big with more than 700 languages and currently we maintain more than 10 local languages community and 30 Wikimedia projects, it will increase the staff burden year by year with its current growing. That's why we try to shift the focus and build the community capacity and skills, so we can support more communities in the future.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
|Department or function||End of current funding period||End of upcoming funding period||Explanation of changes|
|Administration staff||0||1||Based on the auditor suggestion to improve our current administrative work, since our organisation's growing is inevitable.|
|Internal affairs manager||1||1|
|Public relation and community manager||1||1|
|Visual communication staff||1||1|
|Campaign and publication coordinator||1||1|
|Videografer and designer||0||1||Pandemic push us to make more interactive video so our visibility will be increased. We also help to design community social media and our social media for more than 40 channels, the community staff who usually handle the design feeling overworked, so this is another reason why we add the staff.|
|Competition staff||0||1||We will do more competition since a lot of partner requested to do more writing competition to close the gap for specific and important topic that usually being neglected because it's not very popular, e.g. climate change, woman articles.|
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
This section provides budget proposed by Wikimedia Indonesia to run the programs
Exchange rate 100 IDR for 0.0069 USD
|Line items||Total IDR||Total USD|
|Office and admin support||567,740,000||39,174|
|Community Development and Support||644,250,000||44,453|
We have also included a table to show the split of salary expenses per program and operations in percentages:
|Office and administrative support||12%|
|Community Development and Support||14%|
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
Please sign here once this proposal form is complete, using four tildes. Biyanto Rebin (WMID) (talk) 18:07, 1 May 2021 (UTC)