What is the problem you're trying to solve?
There is not much buzz about the Wikimedia foundation in Ghana and many people don't voluntarily contribute indigenous content or contents about our heritage online.
It becomes very difficult when edits are skewed towards a particular group (community) on which all edits from the country is dependent.
What is your solution?
We will be organizing an event on the 4th of October 2014, titled Edit Ghana which will be the first of a series of events to be held through out a six month period. This event will be used to appeal to the general conscience that evolves the National Volunteer Day, to entice Ghanaians to be patriotic on the day by participating in activities that will help build the image of the country.
We plan to seize the opportunity to gain edits on the day and identify the expertise or interest of the various contributors so as to enable proper allocation for future activities involving this project. A community will be built with sections around their various interests so as to increase participation and the opportunity to pair people with similar interests.
Individuals will either be put into the Wikimedia Commons Group, Language Edits Group or Depository Group. These groups each will solve an issue in the community that directly is in their domain. The Wikimedia Commons group will focus on issues concerning pictures of heritage, culture and cultural activities, monuments, resorts and delicacy. The language Edits Group will build contents in four main languages: Dagbani, Ewe, Ga and Twi. Edits will be in the form of entirely new contents or just translation of existing contents. The Depository Group will work on building data for WikiData and putting lots of words or data in the local languages.
- Create the awareness of Wikipedia, what it is, and the goals of the Wikimedia Foundation in building contents and other Wikimedia projects.
- Establish and consolidate the existence of the Wikimedian Community in Ghana.
- Increase participation on Wikimedia Projects and involvement in community projects.
- Promote the contribution of local contents in the various languages
PHASE 1 - This will be the first of all the events to be held. It will bring together individuals with an interest to provide indigenous contents to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia related projects. The focus of the gathering on the 22nd of September 2014 is to create sub-communities within the larger group of volunteers with specific interests in a particular Wikimedia project.
This is to help us remove vagueness in the community and rather focus individuals on projects that they can better perform or are particularly interested in.
PHASE 2 - This phase will involve the creation of subgroups under the large with a focus on their interests. The groups will consist of the following:
- Wikimedia Commons Group - This group will consist of individuals with an interest to contribute to Wikimedia commons, wiki voyage and wiki species. Activities under this group will consist of travel across all 10 regions of Ghana capturing contents for the aforementioned projects. This will consist of a photo walk twice every month for the six month period.A total of 12 trips spanning the 6 month period. Each of the 10 regions will be captured under the duration.
- Language Edits Group - This group will consist of individuals with an interest to contribute to Wikipedia via language edits. The group will focus on translation of existing articles and building data on wiki data. It will mainly consist translation of selected articles for edits in languages as Dagbani, Ewe, Ga and Twi. There will be an event each month for the 6 month period. A total of 6 events within the duration
- Depository Group - This group will consist of individuals with an interest to contribute to Wikipedia, Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects that require contents of Ghana. Their main work will be working around just building any content on Wikipedia and increasing articles entirely. The WikiData Game and word translation on WikiData will be no exception. There will be a monthly Edit-a-thon spanning the 6 months. A total of 6 events within the duration.
Below is a summary of the budget for the project. Subsequent tables are detail breakdowns of the various phases.
|Description||Budget GHC||Equivalent in USD||Remarks|
|Phase 1||950||265||Supported by the Wikimedia UK|
|Phase 2||17700||4788||Requiring support from the Wikimedia Foundation|
|Total||18650||5664.4||Total budget for the entire project|
DETAILS OF PHASE 1 EXPENDITURE
|Description||Quantity||Unit Cost GHC||Budget GHC|
|Transportation of Wikimedians||5 people||40||200|
DETAILS OF PHASE 2 EXPENDITURE
|Description||Quantity||Unit Cost GHC||Budget GHC|
|Photo Walk (12 Visits x 5 people||60 trips||175||10500|
|Language Group Events||6 events||350||2100|
|Depository Group Events||6 events||350||2100|
The project is intend to sort out individuals by allotting them into groups of their interest to foster regular participation in Wikimedia and community projects.
We believe that people usually find a sense of attribution with things of their particular interest. We therefore anticipate regular and active contributions of members as their engagement levels will be pushed by the leads of the various groups. Also people find it to easy to contribute to things that already have their interest or attention.
People are mostly drawn to things they feel confident about or can easily participate in. Having done this with the project and continuing through regular encouragement and competitions via the mailing list we hope to get participants on track.
Leads will from to time come up with innovative events to ensure community conventions which will see to engagement in the community and opportunity to draw inspiration or motivation from community members.
Measures of success
- Success will be measured based on the number of edits, new articles created, number of uploads, number of attendees and how effectively we engage our audience on our social media platforms.
- We expect a minimum of 1000 edits over the entire project duration.
- We expect a minimum of 1000 pictures of Ghanaian foods, artifacts, places and buildings of historical importance over the entire project duration.
- Get a minimum of 3 active editors for each group, ensuring a minimum total of 9 active editors for the entire project.
- We also hope to create at least 100 new articles of Ghanaian origin which are currently not on Wikipedia and its related projects.
- Increased community engagement
- We are also going to develop a substantive number of Ghanaian stubs into good articles with pictorial representations.
- A feedback form will be used to gather feedback on each event which provide insights about the event and to pin what went wrong and how to best improve that before the next event
Flixtey is my username, i am a member of the Wikimedia Ghana User-group, the community manager for the Wikimedia Community in Ghana and a banker by profession. I edit from time to time as a way to contribute my quota to building local contents online and i come up with activities that can breed engagement and participation in the community.Flixtey (talk) 19:30, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
Rberchie is my username , I am an active member of theWikimedia Ghana User-group I am enthused about open source knowledge and volunteering to promote Ghanaian content on Wikis and also volunteering on a number of Wiki Africa Projects.--Rberchie (talk) 09:55, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
Enock4seth is my username, I am an active contributor to more than 3 Wikimedia Foundation projects. I've helped Wikimedia Ghana User Group in a series of past volunteer outreaches and activities. Looking forward to making this a great success. --Enock4seth (talk) 07:53, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Will help in teaching new users about Wikimedia Foundation projects involved. Enock4seth (talk) 08:01, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Im' Rexford, and will be part of this project as an Advisor. I've been a part of the Wikimedia Ghana User Group since it started in 2012. Can't wait to get started on this project as an advisor. Nkansahrexford (talk) 19:25, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer I will help in the writing and conversion of existing as well as new articles into local context 184.108.40.206 08:30, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Because I love volunteering and to make things easy for the organizers as they focus on training (us) wikimedians to edit more 220.127.116.11 17:48, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer To help the organizers run the training smoothly and for the fact that I love volunteering. Seedeblay (talk) 17:58, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer 18.104.22.168 10:29, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Available for any help needed. I will volunteer should there be any need. quarshietimothy (talk) 06:01, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Masssly (talk) 10:37, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Photography Services DromoTetteh (talk) 20:41, 5 October 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Help as a mediator between Wikimedia Foundation and the organizers.Also available for any help needed .Regards--Grind24talk ??Contribs 17:36, 22 November 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer Kwameghana is my username. I love editing articles on Ghana. I am a blogger and an IT technician. I am willing to help create local content to showcase what Ghana has to offer. Kwameghana (talk) 22:13, 20 January 2015 (UTC)
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
The Wikimedia Ghana community has been notified via the mailing list email@example.com
An email blast has also been sent round for interested participants to register via this link
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- I support this proposal because, volunteering to develop the Ghanaian culture and heritage is a worthy cause which must be imbibed in da youth. Volunteering to do community service and help develop areas of concerns is expedient as this is the bit we could contribute towards the development of our country 22.214.171.124 08:36, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- Because it will help promote Ghanaian and African content on Wikipedia and its related projects and also help in the promotion of Open Learning Rberchie (talk) 09:52, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- So the training will. Increase the participation of Wikimedians and their contents online. 126.96.36.199 17:45, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- I think it's of a good course and a nice initiative to train people to increase edits and contents on Wikipedia. Seedeblay (talk) 17:55, 30 September 2014 (UTC)