Grants:IEG/Every settlement in Slovenia has to have decent WikiPicture
Last year, we had run several public lectures ("How to edit Wikipedia") to increase the number of volunteers - small number of them is one of the biggest problems on Slovenian Wikipedia. It was only partially successful. On the other hand, we saw several very successful campaigns run by photo manufacturers, where pictures are submitted and then the best was awarded with photo equipment or other prize. Such practice can be seen on local Wiki chapters as well. Basic ideas:
- separate web page for photo submissions is created
- simple form for uploading one picture at a time is available; only a few fields:
- uploader e-mail
- settlement name
- license choice:CC-Zero or CC-BY-SA 4.0
- one very good prize, e.g. price range 1 - 1.5 kEUR for the best photo according to votes of all Slovenian Wikipedia users with voting eligibility
- two medium prizes (around 600 EUR) for runner-ups
- ten mobile phones with good photo ability (price range 300-400 EUR) randomly distributed among submitters. This is to engage as many people as possible - every picture will count. With limitation: for every 200 useful pictures, 1 phone is added for prize drawing, but not than 10 alltogether.
Only pictures of sufficient quality to be actually added to Wikipedia Settlement infoboxes are eligible for voting or prize drafting. If a settlement picture is already there, the new one is used only if it's better (upon discretion of editor performing the upload). Editors uploading and classifying pictures will earn 1 EUR for uploading and classifying each picture that will be used for settlement picture. This process will involve also copyright checking, content checking, editing etc. Also, money will be spent for Google, Facebook or other media advertising as well (first time in Slovenian Wiki history). Project will run May-September 2015, when there is generally the best time to take pictures (at least in Slovenia).
Reason for paying editors for administrative tasks: community is very small and made of 100% volunteers. If action suceeds, there will be much need for work in relatively small group of people. Some money would compensate for extra effort in or outside community for work that has to be done e.g. in two months because of public eye; I personally will use for compensation to my family (trip etc.). I am willing to completely remove this part if number of volunteers rises above 4. So far, it is not even close. Nevertheless... is Wikimedia Foundation made of 100% volunteers? I am pointing out that pure volunterism sometimes has some weaknesses and limits.
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Lack of quality pictures, lack of awareness in general Slovenian public about the project as a whole. We would also regard it as a learning step for other projects and the planned establishment of a local Wikimedia chapter.
What is your solution?
An offer of a prize would help to increase participation.
Let's see if prize stimulates participation.
- 2.000 new pictures
- general publicity
- setting up a web page that will serve as an entry point
- advertising (social networks, photography journals etc.)
- uploading and organizing the submitted works in Commons (in conjunction with the OTRS where necessary)
- including suitable pictures in Wikipedia articles
- recruiting a panel of judges and/or setting up a public poll to select best works
- distributing prizes
(for testing, see the chapter "Measures of success" below)
- Prize # 1: 1.500 EUR
- Prize # 2: 700 EUR
- Prize # 3: 500 EUR
- up to 10x smartphone: 3.000 EUR
- fee for admins: 2.000 EUR
- advertising budget, web page for pictures submission: 2.000 EUR
- award for the organizer: starting 600 EUR (based on new pictures - percentage compared to target; it can go lower or higher than starting award. If we collect 500 pictures of some value, award is 500/2000 x 600 = 150 EUR)
- Total approximate budget: 10.500 EUR
- submitting this proposal to our Village Pump
- paying them, but not that high that there will be dispute
- advertising & prizing
The most direct effect will be gaining a large quantity of freely licensed photographs to be used in infoboxes for Slovene settlements in various Wikipedias and offered for public reuse. Currently, around 750 settlements out of ~6000 in Slovenia (12.5%) have a useful panoramic picture available, which will increase to over one third if the project goal is achieved. We expect that the publicity surrounding the event will result in at least a small percentage of contributors continuing to submit pictures to Commons after the competition has ended, thereby increasing the editor base.
If successful, the project will be used as an example of possibilities in the community's effort to implement freedom of panorama in Slovene legislation (lack of FOP is the reason we are unable to organize WikiLoves Monuments in Slovenia). Experience gained will also help in organizing future content improvement projects (best school project, best technical drawing, best improvement of an article in the area "1.000 articles every Wikipedia should have" etc.), as well as setting up a local Wikimedia chapter.
Measures of success
Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- the main goal is 2.000 new pictures, measurable by counting the contributions
- second measure is how many new settlements will have gotten a picture, monitored by also adding the pictures to a local list of settlements.
- number of people contributing will also be evaluated
- User:Yerpo: 7,5 years of experience as an editor, and 6,5 as an administrator at :slwiki, with copyright issues as one of specialties; also active at Commons (among other projects), categorizing and ordering images. OTRS agent for the info-sl and permissions-sl queues.
- User:Andrejj: 10 years of experience as an editor, and 9,5 as an administrator at :slwiki, provided many pictuures
- Volunteer 40 years of experience in image analysis;) SmozBleda (talk) 13:59, 17 October 2014 (UTC)
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.
- Because it would enrich not only Slovene WP, but also all other projects. IP 213 (talk) 06:42, 10 September 2014 (UTC)
- Complete support, as smaller settlements often are neglected to get a picture. This should also get more people into Wikipedia, and has a precedent under Wiki Monument. Chess (talk) 15:43, 25 September 2014 (UTC)
- Same as users IP 213 and Chess. --Andrejj (talk) 20:36, 26 September 2014 (UTC)
- creating (independent, free-of-interference) facts is the easiest way around any possible issues SmozBleda (talk) 13:59, 17 October 2014 (UTC)