Grants:PEG/Irvin Stotomas/Run for Free Knowledge
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Project plan
- 4 Non-financial requirements
- 5 Get involved
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
There are public elementary, secondary and tertiary schools in Camarines Sur, Bicol region (Philippines) that cannot afford broadband internet access for their researches. Also, there is lack of promotion of the local edition of Wikipedia, the Bikol Sentral Wikipedia project, inside and outside the academe.
What is your solution?
This project aims to distribute copies of DVDs with Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline content and distribute them to public elementary, secondary and tertiary schools in Camarines Sur. Also, it aims to promote the Wikipedia Offline and Bikol Sentral Wikipedia project among the participants in Central Bikol and Rinconada Bikol speaking urban areas.
Run for Free Knowledge aims to encourage support from the community so that we can mass produce 1,000 copies of DVD with Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline content. Public school heads are the main recipients of the copies of DVD with Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline content which can be shared to the teachers and students by installing the files to computers in the library and teachers' personal computer or laptop thru the school ICT coordinator. Public elementary and high schools in the Philippines are dominated by female teachers at 86.3 percent. The same percentage can be true in the tertiary level.
The event also promotes awareness of the Wikipedia Offline, and Bikol Sentral Wikipedia among the hundreds of expected participants to revitalize the project. Participants will receive a copy of DVD with Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline content and a brochure on how to contribute in Bikol Sentral Wikipedia once they cross the finish line.
Community running is one of the most effective ways to encourage people and institutions to support a cause.
Here is a schedule of activities for this project:
- October 1, 2015
- Coordination with Department of Education Division of Camarines Sur, ICT Department
- Coordination with different running clubs within and outside Camarines Sur
- Wikipedia shirts printing; layout of promotional materials and route markers with trivias from articles in Bikol Sentral Wikipedia
- October 15 - December 15, 2015
- Identification of public schools beneficiaries and number of computers and laptops with and without DVD drive
- Promotion and registration
- November 1 - December 1, 2015
- Reproduction of 1,000 copies of DVD with Wikipedia offline content
- December 20, 2015
- Event and distribution of the copies of DVD Wikipedia offline content among school representatives and participants who cross the finish line
- January 4 - 22, 2016
- Installation of DVD Wikipedia offline and evaluation
- January 30, 2016
- Submission of project report
Item Qty Cost per Unit Total cost Remarks Promotional materials 2 PHP1,000.00 (USD22.40) PHP2,000 (USD44.80) backdrop and start/finish tarpaulins Route markers 20 PHP100.00 (USD2.24) PHP2,000 (USD44.80) tarpaulins with trivias from articles in Bikol Sentral Wikipedia Wikipedia shirts 300 PHP150.00 (USD3.36) PHP45,000.00 (USD1,008.06) shirt design promoting Wikipedia; PHP300.00 (USD6.72) registration fee is inclusive of one (1) shirt and a copy of Wikipedia Offline once the participant crosses the finish line Prizes 10 PHP1,000.00 (USD22,40) PHP10,000.00 (USD224.01) Top 5 female and Top 5 male finishers Prizes 20 PHP500.00 (USD11,20)
worth of Wikipedia merchandize
worth of Wikipedia merchandize
20 trivia winners Certificates 20 PHP100.00 (USD2.24) PHP2,000 (USD44.80) Partners and volunteers Snacks 20 PHP300.00 (USD6.72) PHP6,000 (USD134.40) Organizers and volunteers Miscellaneous - - PHP7,500 (USD168.01) 10% contingency for unexpected/other expenses PHP82,500 (USD1,848.12)
*Based on USD1.00 = PHP44.64 exchange rate
- Total cost of project
- PHP172,500 (USD3864.25)
- Total amount requested from the Project & Event Grants program
- PHP82,500 (USD1,848.12)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- PHP300.00 (USD6.72) registration fee from 300 participants or PHP90,000.00 (USD2,016.12) to be used in the production of DVD with Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline content, ICT coordinator's trainings; and to fund Community Meetings
Item Qty Cost per Unit Total cost Remarks Blank DVDs; reproduction 1,000 PHP25.00 (USD0.56) PHP25,000 (USD160.04) amount that is equivalent to 84 registered participants
- Budget for ICT coordinator's trainings in Camarines Sur:
Item Qty Cost per Unit Total cost Remarks Transportation 2 PHP2,000 (USD44.49) good for 4 days; tentative venues Schedule 1 2; 2 PHP200 (USD4.44) PHP800 (USD17.80) Ragay National High School (1st District);
Minalabac Central School (2nd District)
Schedule 2 2; 2 PHP100.00 (USD2.22) PHP400 (USD8.90) Canaman Central School (3rd District);
TBA - Naga City (City Division)
Schedule 3 2 PHP200.00 (USD4.44) PHP400 (USD8.90) TBA - San Jose (4th District) Schedule 4 2 PHP200.00 (USD4.44) PHP400 (USD8.90) TBA - Iriga City (5th District);
TBA - Iriga City (City Division)
Lunch and snacks 2 PHP200 (USD4.44) PHP1,600 (USD35.60) good for 4 days Total PHP3,600.00
- Expand Reach and Readership - The project will make Wikimedia more relevant to the participants, and teachers as well as their students in public elementary, secondary and tertiary schools.
Measures of success
Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- The success of distributing Kiwix DVDs to improve access to information for teachers and schools can be measured thru:
- the percentage of DVDs installed within the next month or before January 22, 2016: 50%
- the average number of students, teachers and staff who browsed, consulted or used the DVD for research or leisure for at least 5 minutes, within the first week of installation: 30 (per successfully installed DVD)
- ICT coordinators must send the evaluation form to the Project Team on or before January 22, 2016.
We would like to use the logo of Wikipedia for this event.
The organizing team is composed of individuals who are interested to carry out the goals of the project.
- Project Lead: Irvin Sto. Tomas (would be a volunteer teacher in October - December 2015 at Tariric Elementary School in Minalabac, Camarines Sur)
- User:Maffeth.opiana (teacher at Cararayan National High School in Naga City)
- User:Brazal.dang (librarian and ICT coordinator at Juan F. Trivino Memorial High School in Pasacao, Camarines Sur)
- Gilbert (teacher at Manapao Elementary School in Minalabac, Camarines Sur)
- Grace (teacher at Canaman Central School in Canaman, Camarines Sur)
Here are the tasks of the organizers:
Timeline Task Description Members who signified October 1 - 15, 2015 Logistics to coordinate with Department of Education Division of Camarines Sur, organization and local government units (LGUs) Gilbert, Irvin Supplies to print Wikipedia shirts; layout of promotional materials and route markers with trivias from articles in Bikol Sentral Wikipedia Oct. 15 - Dec. 15, 2015 Promotion to invite participants all members Secretariat to accept registrants and distribute kits Nov. 1 - Dec. 1, 2015 Supplies to purchase blank DVDs and reproduce 1,000 copies of Wikipedia offline content December 20, 2015 Race Organizers to create the route of the race; to find volunteers to serve as race marshalls Program to prepare the program and certificates Maffeth, Grace Awards to prepare and award the prizes Dec. 20 - Jan. 22, 2015 Documentation to collect documents and to record the event Maffeth, Dang Jan. 5 - 8, 2015 Training to conduct training on installation and evaluation January 30, 2015 Proponent to prepare and submit project report Irvin
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Bikol Wikipedia Community and volunteers will be notified about the project as well as target partner-institutions, organizations and local government units.
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- This is a very noble cause and feasible to undertake. I can help in the promotion since I am connected with DepEd in Naga. --Maffeth.opiana (talk) 01:14, 25 July 2015 (UTC)
- This can also be done in Partido area where I am presently enrolled at the Partido State University for my masters degree in public affairs. I am gladly endorsing this and the same be undertaken in Partido area in the near future. Geopoet (talk) 05:53, 25 July 2015 (UTC)
- This is a nice project , will be helpful to promote and growth of the Bikol Wikipedia.
- This is hitting two birds with one stone. If executed right, this will definitely promote Wikipedia in the communities. --Rinconada (talk) 11:43, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Potential for further growth and emulation for the other regions Cloudhand (talk) 13:03, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- I am not a Bicolano but I share the common difficulty in downloading the Kiwix pedia via torrent - takes hours and my computer doesn't have the memory for it all. :) This project takes the step in taking awareness of Wikipedia, of volunteerism, of sharing to the people who matters most in our future as a people, as a nation, as global citizens. Joshuasevilla (talk) 22:12, 29 July 2015 (UTC)
- Support --JinJian (talk) 08:51, 31 July 2015 (UTC)
- This is a good proposal which will help increase awareness of offline Wikipedia. --Billie bb (talk) 17:20, 31 July 2015 (UTC)