Grants:IEG/Wikiexpedition and Wikitraining in Chernigiv oblast
I want to take photos of all of Chernihiv villages. It's about 1500 villages. Photos of all villages will be at Wikimedia Commons. And wikipedia pages will be illustrate with it.
Commons, Ukrainian and Russian Wikipedia
total amount requested:
2014 round 1
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Chernihiv oblast in Ukraine have about 1500 villages. But most of articles of villages haven't even one image from settlement! 10-20 percent of villages have a little population at 10-20-60 peoples. 90-95 of this peoples are very old. After 5-10 years such villages will be abandoned.
What is your solution?
I have a lot of time. And I can traveling on Chernihiv oblast and take photos.
To take photos of all of villages of Chernihiv oblast.
For one period of grant.
- We expect to achieve between 300 and 400 villages of 6 raions.
- From 6 000 to 8 000 new images.
A schedule for this project might look like the following (Wikiexpeditions):
- After 1 month (July): Kulykivka Raion (24 v) + Chernihiv Raion (40 of 124 v);
- After 2 months (August): Ripky Raion (18 of 118 v) + Chernihiv Raion (rest of 124 v);
- After 3 months (September): Ripky Raion (60 of 118 v);
- After 4 months (October): Nosivka Raion (54 v) + Ripky Raion (rest of 118 v);
- After 5 months (November): Nizhyn Raion (72 v);
- After 6 months (December): Sribne Raion (29 v) + Varva Raion (30 v).
Additional Tools, technologies, and techniques
- Meetings and Wiki-workshops in schools (teachers, students) and universities. The most around Chernihiv + Ripky, Nizhyn, Khmilnytsya (I live in Chernihiv) traveling by train, bus or bicycle.
- Wikimedia merchandise and gifts for volunteers like T-Shirts, Welcome to Wikipedia and so; also could be good to have gifts (like pens, little calendars and little magnets) as a detail for students.
Total amount requested
|1||Main photo camera - Nikon Coolpix P520 Red||Taking photos|
|2||Additional photo camera - Samsung DV150||Taking photos (reserve)|
|3||Apple MacBook Air 11" (MD711UA/A) with Official warranty||Uploading photos into Internet - lightweight notebook and long time battery (without SDXC-support)|
|4||card-reader Transcend TS-RDF5K||Uploading photos into laptop|
|5||Asus Google Nexus 7 2013 32GB LTE||GPS, Internet||400$|
|6||Bicycle||easy way to achieve villages|
|8||Merchandise for volunteer giveaways||T-shirt's, badges, little calendars, little magnets with wiki-logo ...
if WMF will provide this directly the cost could be excluded from the IEG
|9||Rent of an apartment||140$/month it's more convenient to be at local place||840$|
|11||Travel expenses||To present the project at Wikimania London August 2014. 1000 + 1000 (two people from Ukraine - Mykola Prykhodko and Victoria Solomatova)||2000$|
|12||Unforeseen||~1-2% for unforeseen and extraordinary expenses||70$|
|Total amount||4 990$|
- Students from local schools seeking for information about local villages;
It will be great to meet with other interested in wikiexpedition people. I plan to publish some interesting routes and places into Wikivoyage - at first in Ukrainian Wikivoyage. And I will be tell about Wikiexpedition on wiki-workshops - Chernihiv, Ripky, Nizhyn and Khmilnytsya.
Fit with strategy
- This project will:
- increase reach and participation (more peoples will contribute and to Wikipedia thanks to workshops and other events, to Wikimedia Commons during Wikiexpeditions and to the other Wikiprojects via images uploaded),
- quality (more free pictures to illustrate the articles with, more high-quality articles),
- credibility (more trust in our projects, e.g., Wikipedia and Wikisource),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (growing volunteer base, getting more experience, purchasing equipment that will be used by our volunteers).
I think first round of project will motivated other wikipedians to add photos of own settlements in articles. For all Chernihiv district (oblast) needs about 3 periods. And such experience from this project can push other people to write in Wiki in Ukraine and other countries, like me - my village Krushynka, original here.
I want to publish photoalbum after all traveling. May be, DVD too.
Measures of success
- Between 25 and 50 new valued images
- Between 6 000 to 8 000 new images
- The use of images in several languages (Ukrainian and Russian at first) in Wikipedia's pages and their suitability to content.
- Between 300 and 400 villages of 6 raions.
- Number of newly registered editors (wikiexpeditions and workshops) - 10 + 30.
- Qualitative feedback and coverage
- feedback from wikipedians related to our rapports and posts
- media coverage.
- Prykhodko Mykola Vasyliovych User:Nickispeaki. I started promoting Wikiexpedition at 2013. I took part at first Ukrainian WIkiexpetion at 2011. From 2013 I live at Chernihiv and I made 3 collective Wikiexpedition in Chernihiv raion. After the success of the this expeditions the initiative is going on and growing.
- From 2006 I've an account in Wikipedia; my contributions are mainly in Ukrainian, Russian and English Wikipedias, and also in Commons.
- From 2012 I'm member of Wikimedia Ukraine; collaborating in activities like workshops, meetings, GLAM projects, education and Wikiexpeditions ...
- In 2013-2014 I made some promotion for WLM-2013 in Chernihiv - press-conference twice (and feedback in newspapers, sites, radiostations and TVs), exhibition in Art Center Intermezzo (Chernihiv) and some interviews.
- Solomatova Victoriya Vitalievna User:Victoriya Santmatova.
Other people are involved in Wikiexpedition and Wikitraining in Chernigiv oblast. These are some of them:
- Tarabara Sergiy w:uk:User:Star1961. He took part in 2 Wikiexpeditions at 2013-2014. He makes great photos and makes accurate descriptions of Files on Wikimedia Commons. He is volunteer for Chernihiv raion.
- Olegiv Roman w:uk:User:Romanmagic. He took part in Wikiexpeditions at 2013. He's photographer-amateur. He is volunteer for Chernihiv raion.
- Zheliba Olexander w:uk:User:Krutyvuss. He took part at some Wiki-projects and he's a member of Wikimedia Ukraine since 2012. Olexander is a teacher of History at Nizhyn Gogol State University. He is a volunteer for Sribne and Nizhyn Raions - wikiexpeditions and wiki-workshops.
Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.
- Fully support. I think Mr. Nickispeaki could really arise an interest to Wikipedia in small towns and villages in Chernihiv oblast. We already have an extra-active user from a village school in Cherkassy region thus the chance for Mr. Nickispeaki to bring us such active users from Chernihiv region is quite high. I know Mr. Nickispeaki for a long time, also I participated with him in a Wiki-expedition to Korosten district last year, and I could witness Mr. Nickispeaki is very talkative and charming, he really could awake interest and he could understandably explain what is Wikipedia and how to contribute to it even for people from small villages. --A1 (talk) 18:21, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
- If the weather will be warm. Because in December in Chernihiv we have sometimes very cold period with snow and big frosts.
- Accordingly to Illya words I can use Wikimedia Ukraine camera.
- Accordingly to Illya words (and Wikiexpedition part Wikimedia Ukraine budget) I can buy cheap camera.
- After talking on Wiki-pages and WikimediaUA mailing list the notebook was canceled.
- After Ahonc words the card-reader was canceled.
- Scooter was changed on Bicycle.
- Scooter was changed on Bicycle.
- May be the sum can be less than 1000 per person. And I ask for Wikimania 2014 scholarship.