Grants:IEG/Wikipedia Education Program in Hong Kong
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Wikimedia Hong Kong just finished the pilot program of the Education Project, and we want to make it as the long-term program. The amount of articles related to literature and linguistics on Wikipedia are not as much as other topics. Some articles have incomplete information. Wikimedia Hong Kong hopes to improve the quantity and the quality of the related pages through this program and we need a project coordinator to work on it, which is a 3-month position, as it is necessary to have a person to be in charge for the program (full-time).
What is your solution?
As it is not easy to find the volunteer to work on the program, Wikimedia Hong Kong needs to hire a project coordinator to work on it. The project coordinator will contact the university, in order to encourage the university students who are major in those areas to edit the articles related to literature and linguistics through this program, which can improve quantity and the quality of the related pages and also encourage more people to share their knowledge on Wikipedia. The project coordinator will be responsible for the administrative work of the project and also indicate the students to achieve the goal.
- Improve students’ writing skills through the process as editing on Wikipedia is similar to academic writing
- Enable them to improve interest of the subjects since they need to do some researches about the subjects
- Learn to use Wikipedia with appropriate attitude
- Increase the amount of contents related to literature and linguistics, sharing the knowledge around the world.
- Familiarize them with the Information Technology and Communication skills for their studies
- Help them understand the virtues and difficulties of collaborative work and peer review
- Firstly, Secure the funding to support the project coordinator's work.
- At the same time, get in touch with the potential university in Hong Kong.
- Once funded, the new project coordinator will be responsible for the whole program.
- His/Her duties include: contacting with the university, negotiating the details with the people from the university, introducing the program to the students, organizing workshops in the university, indicating the students to edit on Wikipedia, etc.
- Salary for the Project Coordinator: USD $7500 ( USD $ 2500 Per month)
- Printing Cost : USD $ 150
- Total Budget: (Amount) USD $ 7650
We hope that the program would become the long-term program of Wikimedia Hong Kong and the student would share their knowledge on Wikipedia through the program.
Measures of success
There are some criteria to measure the assessment.
- The number of participants
- The number of the articles edited in the program (We will ask the professionals to read the articles to see the quality.)
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.