What is the problem you're trying to solve?
A useful and meaningful badge that not only communicates accomplishments in the Wikimedia environment (much like barnstars or other badges from the Wikipedia Adventure or the Teahouse badge project on enwiki) and recognizes contributions (like paper certificates in many Wikipedia Education Programs) that can authenticate and certify this on non-Wikimedia environments as well.
What is your solution?
Explore Open Badges from both technical and practical considerations and pilot the issuing of badges with a small cohort of users, like the Wikipedia Education Program. This would require some technical exploration of the Open Badge standards that others are using (like Mozilla's Webmaker and some other platforms) and using authentication like OAuth to validate users and contribs, as well as use cases like students and ambassadors in education programs, perhaps limited to a particular geography or language at first.
- Community organizer We have had some discussion about this in the UK Fabian Tompsett (WMUK) (talk) 11:39, 12 December 2014 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'm an enthusiast for Open Badges, and for systems of recognition and motivation in wikis, and have been thinking along these lines already, particularly for campus ambassadors. MartinPoulter (talk) 20:12, 13 December 2014 (UTC)
- This project would increase the bonds between Wikimedia projects and other organizations as well as add value to Wikimedia communities, like the education program, to show how its members are certified to meet minimal standards as they present themselves as representatives of that program. Blue Rasberry (talk) 12:07, 17 December 2014 (UTC)
- I would like to see someday id.wp and WMID also doing this, the line here "like paper certificates in many Wikipedia Education Programs" will make many program more authentic, and will make them happy to participate more oncoming Wikimedia program.--AldNonUcallin?☎ 16:35, 13 January 2015 (UTC)
- This looks like a great idea! Puppier (talk) 12:29, 30 March 2015 (UTC)