User talk:Bluerasberry

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Interest in "conversation" metrics[edit]

Hi Lane, I just saw video about your job at UVA and was wondering if you have published anything on how you keep track of how people are reading the content which came from the university and also how you get the metrics you mentioned at 2:38, i.e. "how many people edited the content after someone from this university put it" and how do you extract information about people "objecting" to this content or if stayed long / started a conversation. Sounds like a very interesting approach! Thank you! --Silva Selva (talk) 18:08, 27 September 2020 (UTC)

@Silva Selva: There is a lot of variation in how people do this. Most conversations start with these two tools:
  • The Programs & Events Dashboard tracks what a group of editors does and how many people read that content. Instructors often use this for student classes.
  • The Pageviews Analysis tool tracks how many people have read any list of Wikipedia articles.
There is no tool which automatically detects when and if someone has removed content from a Wikipedia article. However, I manually checked this for a few classes and described in the below articles that the content stayed for years.
Yes, conversations happen. There is no automatic way to get reports for them. There are lots of classes with Wikipedia which have encouraged conversations, and we have enough examples to research how this went. No one has done any such research though.
I could say more if you had questions. Thanks for writing. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:03, 28 September 2020 (UTC)

TimeZoneConverter bug?[edit]

Did the TimeZoneConverter not work for you? If so, it would be good to leave a report so we don't both use the tool AND work around it. Ainali talkcontributions 20:42, 7 October 2020 (UTC)

@Ainali: I posted at Talk:Timezoneconverter. Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:47, 7 October 2020 (UTC)

West Bengal Wikimedians open for community request[edit]

Logo of West Bengal Wikimedians User Group.svg

Hi Bluerasberry!

You are receiving this message because you have signed as a General member of the West Bengal Wikimedians User Group.

Like previous years, we are asking our members again to request for support if they wish to plan and execute Wikimedia projects or activities during next year, which require funding. We are open for such requests until November 30, 2020. Based on the fund requests from the community members, the user group will place Rapid grant proposal to Wikimedia Foundation. If the rapid grant request is approved, funds will be allocated to the community members accordingly.

We can only approve request for volunteers who are from West Bengal and is limited to activities where in some way, West Bengal is included. The decision to approve or disapprove your request will be handled by Representative members of the user group.

Regards,
Bodhisattwa
(On behalf of West Bengal Wikimedians User Group)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021: Invitation[edit]

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:25, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 01:26, 27 November 2020 (UTC)

WikiConference North America 2020 registration[edit]

Thank you for signing up to attend WikiConference North America 2020! If you haven't already, it would be much appreciated if you could also take a minute to register through our form at register.wcna.wiki. While not required, this will help us keep you informed via email, and will also help give us an idea of attendance numbers over the next three days. Thank you, ~SuperHamster Talk Contribs 19:07, 10 December 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021[edit]

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)

Please elaborate on the meta page[edit]

Hi Lane, could you provide some more context behind the creation of this talk page content for Talk:Movement_Charter? [1] It's User:The Land words, but you're the editor, and it's signed by you, and it seems to come from some other place? Ideally you could explain on the page where it came from. Thanks. -- Fuzheado (talk) 14:50, 31 December 2020 (UTC)

Oh, I think I see what happened. {{user:The Land}} transcluded my userpage. I assume what was meant was [[user:The Land]] to link. I have fixed that.... :) Chris Keating (The Land) (talk) 15:00, 31 December 2020 (UTC)
Aha! That makes sense now. Wow, that was confusing for a while, thanks. :) -- Fuzheado (talk) 14:12, 12 January 2021 (UTC)

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 14:50, 4 January 2021 (UTC)

Share your feedback on the OCR improvements![edit]

SGrabarczuk (WMF) 17:48, 26 January 2021 (UTC)

Curiosity on the work you do[edit]

Dear Lane,

I've looked at the work you do, and I'm both fascinated and perplexed with the work you do. I have looked at your Meta talk pages, but not Wikipedia's due to the large amount of messages you get there, so apologies if you've answered this already.

Basically you are in the School of Data Science, but I don't quite get how "data-science" related is it in the traditional sense. How much of programming is involved? ML? Pure statistics (that would be inferential/Bayesian)? Mathematics (calculus? real analysis?). From the video I've seen about you, it's only some of the first, if at all, but I could be wrong there. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Leaderboard (talk) 21:08, 28 January 2021 (UTC)

@Leaderboard: Thanks for asking, I am trying to build out more models for academic engagement with Wikimedia projects. I myself do not do machine learning research, but instead I facilitate wiki activities for graduate students who do various data science projects. An example project is Research:Automatic Detection of Online Abuse.
We have maybe 20 researchers at this university who have done something with Wikipedia in the past few years. I am scrambling to document examples here and general trends more broadly but eventually this is going to take a long manual. From the Wikicite project in Wikidata here is a Scholia visualization of academic research on Wikipedia.
I could say more. With you being a fellow wiki editor, if you want to talk by video you could email me and we do that. Thanks for your interest. Blue Rasberry (talk) 21:21, 28 January 2021 (UTC)

A little wikiLove for You![edit]

Heart Labyrinth.png It’s a maze of twisty passages all around here. Sometimes it’s hard to feel appreciated.

This Heart-shaped Labyrinth is to say Thank YOU, Wikipedian, for all your hard work!!!

from DrMel (talk) 23:35, 13 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 17:53, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch, Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, Community Board seats, Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of 03:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 19:34, 17 March 2021 (UTC)