Talk:Wikimedia LGBT+

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Portal Activities Business History Participants & Supporters Privacy Resources Discussion


Wikimedia Summit 2019[edit]

RZ Logo Wikimedia-Summit black.png

We're ahead of schedule here, but we should start discussing Wikimedia Summit 2019. You'll notice the name of the Wikimedia Conference has changed, as has the scope. According to a recent mailing list message posted by Daniela Gentner & Cornelius Kibelka of WMDE:

"The next conference will focus on the Movement Strategy process and movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general. The program will be designed according to the status and needs of the ongoing Movement Strategy process and its working groups. We are hoping to see a diverse group of participants next year, and look forward to creating three days of working, discussing, and thinking together... Thus, to make it clearer that learning and capacity-building will not be part of the program and cut laces to the previous conference, we will change the name to “Wikimedia Summit” (#wmsummit). The change of the purpose of the event is accompanied by a change in the composition of the audience. The event will be a more focused one, and therefore we aim to scale down the audience to around 200 participants. As it is this still the Wikimedia affiliates conference, every eligible affiliate can send one (1) delegate."

By the way, the next conference will take place in Berlin, during March 29–31, 2019. Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November 2 and end on December 17, 2018. You can read eligibility information here: Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria. Perhaps we should start, as we do each year, by giving people a space to express interest in attending on behalf of this user group. If you are interested, you can make your case below.

Thanks! -Another Believer (talk) 20:22, 25 September 2018 (UTC)

So, following an announcement about the Summit, I took another look at Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria and saw this group is currently not eligible to attend due to late reporting. I updated the Reports page, posted a note on the Reports talk page, and also posted a note at Talk:Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria. If any LGBT+ User Group members care to weigh in here, on any of these discussions, or add to any of the reports, please do so ASAP. Thank you. Another Believer (talk) 19:48, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
@FULBERT: Bringing this to your attention, just in case. -Another Believer (talk) 19:53, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for this Another Believer. I am surprised our reporting was not done as we have a couple representatives who I thought handle that reporting. This is also the first time I heard our late reporting affects our ability to send somebody to the event in 2019. Didn't AffCom reach out to our reps who we have listed here? That was something that I raised with them when I met with them last year, and thought the reporting and communication was resolved. Interested in what others think about this, though I would eagerly volunteer to attend as our representative again if we can have one and if that would be agreeable to the members of our community. FULBERT (talk) 20:02, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
@FULBERT: Sure, hopefully I've done enough to put us in good standing, but I'm trying to see who can confirm or let us know if we need to put together something more formal. -Another Believer (talk) 20:06, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for this Another Believer; let us know when and how they reply. Hopefully it will be in a timely way so we can resolve this question. --- FULBERT (talk) 12:52, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
@FULBERT: No reply thus far. Perhaps you could also ping on the reports talk page, or even send an email? I've been told User:DNdubane (WMF) is the correct person to contact. If we can't get this resolved, we will have no representation at the conference, and registration is already open. -Another Believer (talk) 18:19, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
This does seem odd. Let me look into this and send a couple emails Another Believer and commit to getting clarification by the end of this week. ---FULBERT (talk) 19:03, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
Update: I believe we're now in good standing. -Another Believer (talk) 01:23, 15 November 2018 (UTC)
I sent a couple emails at the beginning of this week about this and the organizers committed to looking into this. Will follow-up with the replies off Wiki to confirm and circle back Another Believer. --- (No idea why I was not logged in, but this was from me) FULBERT (talk) 13:34, 15 November 2018 (UTC)
I sent another follow-up to the Wikimedia Summit organizers and they just replied that we are now current and can register to send a representative for the 2019 Summit. Thanks for your efforts with our annual report Another Believer. --- FULBERT (talk) 12:21, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
Wonderful, glad we're in order. -Another Believer (talk) 14:47, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Hi. I would love to volunteer and represent the group in the summit. Actually, this will be a great opportunity for me to meet more of the UG. Also, this will give me the space to present the output of the editathon about LGBT in Arab countries I am organizing next march simultaneously to the Queer Film Festival in Tunis, Tunisia. I use the opportunity to invite you to endorse my grant proposal for this event.--Houssem Abida (talk) 19:56, 4 November 2018 (UTC)

@Houssem Abida: thanks for expressing interest. To be clear (re: "this will be a great opportunity for me to meet more of the UG"), we're selecting one delegate to represent this group, so while you may meet a few supporters of this group's efforts, this is not a meeting for WMLGBT+. As a side note, please keep us informed about your editathon and other efforts! -Another Believer (talk) 21:35, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
@Another Believer: totally agree with you. I meant that meeting the community is an extra reason that motivates me to go to the Summit.--Houssem Abida (talk) 21:05, 5 November 2018 (UTC)

Call for nominations[edit]

(feel free to post this text anywhere appropriate)

This message is a call for candidates who would represent Wikimedia LGBT+ at the Wikimedia Summit in Berlin in 29–31 March 2019. See details on the summit at

Anyone who could serve this role please sign your name to

The Wikimedia Summit, formerly called the Wikimedia Conference, is an international gathering of Wikimedia community group representatives who convene to develop the community recommendations for Wikimedia Movement strategy. In addition to discussing global strategy there is some opportunity at this event for representatives to negotiate collaborations with other Wikimedia affiliates.

Anyone who is interested in standing as a candidate should state their interest on Meta-Wiki in the Wikimedia LGBT+ talk page section seeking statements of interest. The deadline for nominations is 31 November 2018. By 7 December 2018 Wikimedia LGBT+ members will have made a selection of the representative. That person should register immediately thereafter.

The ideal candidate has the following characteristics:

  1. Past engagement with LGBT+ themed content in Wikimedia projects
  2. Past experience with any sort of Wikimedia community organization, which is the focus of the Wikimedia Summit
  3. Past participation in Wikimedia LGBT+
  4. Makes a commitment to take and publish notes of their experience at the summit within 30 days of the summit's end

Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:12, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Please note, we are at the end of our nomination period for , so a final call for anybody who wishes to be considered for being our user group representative. Additionally, it has been reported that the time needed for a visa is a factor in this, so if anybody who is running needs one to travel to the Summit in Germany, that may be a consideration given recent guidelines from the organizers. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:29, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
I was honored to be one of our user group representatives last year, and want to share that I will be attending the Wiki Summit as well, related to my work on the Capacity Building working group. As a result, I will look forward to meeting an hopefully working with our user group representative there to help our representation. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:29, 1 December 2018 (UTC)

Candidates[edit]

Nomination closed! Blue Rasberry (talk) 03:28, 2 December 2018 (UTC)

Candidate selection[edit]

@Another Believer: Do you accept FULBERT's nomination? @Houssem Abida and Shikeishu: All three of you: we have to make a decision about who goes. To start the conversation, I propose that you all have a discussion by email to talk among yourselves and try to make a decision. Here is an email I just sent to each of you. Please discuss this by email then report back to this board!

We now need to select one of you as a representative. I am emailing you to propose that you three have a brief conversation by email to decide among yourselves who should be the representative to this event this year. Please do not spend more than 30 minutes or 2-3 short emails on your discussion among yourselves, and report back to me or Meta-wiki if your discussion gets complicate or longer than that. Try to finish your conversation by Friday 7 December. If you need assistance with a decision or finish sooner then say so.

To start the conversation, I propose that you all have a discussion by email to talk among yourselves and try to make a decision.

Here are some things to consider:

  • To what extent can you commit to write a report like the ones from 2018, 2017 etc?
  • Beyond the long main LGBT+ report, to what extent can you take notes from any additional group, like another field, a region, or anything outside of LGBT+, but also bring an LGBT+ perspective to that other community?
  • To what extent can you commit to message some LGBT+ community projects anywhere in Wikimedia and ask them what concerns or issues they want raised in this conference?
  • To what extent can you commit to post on this Wikimedia LGBT+ board, the mailing list, with the twitter account, etc in 2019 and beyond?
  • One addition element you may want to consider for this @Another Believer, Houssem Abida, and Shikeishu: - the Summit will include presentations and discussions about the global Movement Strategy as well, so we may also want to consider, "To what extent can you commit to raising issues related to LGBT+ diversity, equity, and inclusion across the working groups who will present to highlight the ongoing needs for visibility and global struggle related to our community?" --- FULBERT (talk) 15:42, 4 December 2018 (UTC)

There is no expectation of a great labor commitment for the representative at this conference. However, we all come into contact with LGBT+ projects and other editors, and we do have a great resource in this group for collecting and reporting LGBT+ themed successes and projects, and also it helps to maintain this board as a support forum for anyone who has a concern to express.

Please attempt to talk among yourselves first and try to find the right person to attend. It might happen that by exchanging a few sentences by email you can decide. Please no one write any long email at this point, and please only talk among yourselves. If you are unable to come to consensus, then any individual can post to meta, and I will arrange a third-party review and decision.

Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 03:28, 2 December 2018 (UTC)

And thanks to Blue for suggesting this easy way of doing the selection. Hopefully those that go will have lots of interesting discussions, plenty of fun and nudge up the user group visibility. It may also be a chance to talk to other user groups and gain some ideas of whether WM-LGBT+ is due for a rethink about the benefits of other ways of organizing ourselves... beyond the current deliberate adhocracy. Face-smile.svg -- (talk) 22:38, 5 December 2018 (UTC)

I accept and appreciate FULBERT's nomination. However, I've removed myself from consideration in the email discussion because (as much as I'd love to go again) I've attended twice and would like to see others represent the group as well. I believe a decision has been made, but I will let the selected nominee confirm here when they are ready. I thank both User:Houssem Abida and User:Shikeishu for expressing interest and wanting to share about their LGBT-related work within the Wikimedia movement. I'm confident either would be able to represent us well. More to come!, and please, continue to share your hopes for the person who will be representing us at the event. Thanks! -Another Believer (talk) 22:51, 6 December 2018 (UTC)

Thanks for letting us know about this progress Another Believer. We will look forward to hearing from Houssem Abida and Shikeishu today on the outcome. --- FULBERT (talk) 16:08, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi everyone! The three of us had a discussion via mail and decided that I would go to the conference. I'm looking forward to representing our group, especially to bring in a LGBT+ perspective on the movement strategy and I'll of course make sure to update the rest of the group about the outcomes. Please contact me or bring up in the group discussion here any points you'd want me to look into for the conference. I've never attended a Wikimedia Conference/Summit before, so this will be exciting! Looking forward! :) --Shikeishu (talk) 22:29, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
@Shikeishu: Thanks. Can you please register at Wikimedia Summit 2019/Registration Information then post here when you have done your registration? Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:17, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
Thanks Shikeishu for agreeing to represent the LGBT+ User Group at the 2019 Summit. Thanks Houssem Abida and Another Believer for your engagement in this process. --- FULBERT (talk) 14:52, 8 December 2018 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Anti-harassment/Add gender options to user preferences - how do you prefer to be described[edit]

I'd like you to support Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Anti-harassment/Add gender options to user preferences - how do you prefer to be described. I just learned that »opposes« do not count. Nevertheless, they demonstrate so much ignorance that i would like you to support the wish and spread it around your peers. Cheers Sargoth (talk) 16:53, 23 November 2018 (UTC)

Learning Quarterly: November 2018[edit]

L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Learning Quarterly

Stay tuned
blogs, events
& more!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:10, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

Grants:Project/ContentMine/Divetech[edit]

Group members are invited to review Grants:Project/ContentMine/Divetech and share comments or concerns on the talk page. Thanks! -Another Believer (talk) 16:20, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

Update: This proposal is now under review, so please take a look if you are interested. -Another Believer (talk) 23:05, 13 December 2018 (UTC)

Write for the rights Tunis[edit]

Commons Workshop with Mawjoudin organization

Hi everyone. So next march, the second edition of the Queer Film Festival is going to be held in Tunis, and as a way to engage in such project, I am organizing a 3 days editathon where participants will focus on writing articles related to the theme in the MENA Region. I am looking for participants who will be interested in joining us to the editathon. Thanks to the partnership I managed to make with the organizing committee, the participants will get access to the festival and participate in its activities. Also, we started this week a serie of workshops to train the community here in Tunis on editing in Wikipedia and uploading on Commons so that they help us write a bigger number of articles. You can find all details of the programme before the editathon and for the editathon (still working on the last). We had the first workshop today actually.

We have a grant to pay for the local expenses of the participants such as the accomodation, food and local transportation. I might also find a way to pay for the flight tickets if the participant can't find a solution for this. Anyone interested in joining, can contact me on my meta page or my email: abida.houssem@yahoo.fr Looking forward to seeing you in Tunis :D--Houssem Abida (talk) 20:42, 11 December 2018 (UTC)

2018 Affiliations Committee call for candidates[edit]

This is an update from the Wikimedia Affiliations Committee.

Affiliations Committee logo.svg

The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!

The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.

The committee can include up to fifteen members, roughly half of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2020.

Key skills

Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and experience:

- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.

We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.

Selection process

As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2018 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/December 2018, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.

At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2019, with new members expected to join later that month.

How to apply

If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to affcom@lists.wikimedia.org by 31 December 2018. Your application must include the following information:

- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:

  1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
  2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
  3. What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?


If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!

Best regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee

Posted by MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Affiliations Committee, 06:25, 17 December 2018 (UTC)